IGNORED

Problem: Clutch won't release

So now that the power plant is back in after the second gear issue, I start up the scoot to hear it run and check out that the tranny is humming nicely. Replaced clutch basket with one that is not broke, used the same fricton plates that were in there from last year, then brand new, and now I discover that the clutch will not release. Checked for air in the clutch lines, again and again and for sure there is nothing but fluid there, handle feels good with very little play. Took apart the whole clutch assembly again and again, checked and re-checked, all seems good. Started 'er up and let it get warm and tried again, no luck, so now I'm typing my way to a solution, hopefully. Any bright ideas? No extra parts in the coffee can yet at this point.

had the same exact problem with mine when i put it back together. i think i found the problem by looking at the yamaha parts diagram i belive i put the thrust washer on the wrong side of the clutch boss so when i torqued down the nut holding it in it was squeezing it against the back of the clutch.

i'd tell you for sure if that was my problem but i just busted the clutch boss trying to put it back together so now i ordered another one fom yama and gotta wait another week to get. hope you have better luck than me

Try pushing the lever rather than pulling it. If the clutch releases when you push on the level, the clutch is installed upside down....... http://www.getsmile.com/emoticons/emotions-smileys-free/music22.gif

Yep, we both are a big help arent we.....:whistling::rotf::stirthepot:

Aside from all the mechomical replys.... :) You might also check the clutch rods to make sure you have them installed properly. There's a flat end on both the short and long rod. That flat end goes against the ball. The rods will bind in the tube if you have the round ends against the ball. Don't ask me how I know that...:8: Also... i can see it, but can't name it..... there's a nut and bearing that holds the boss on. One or the other is cut out so one fits over the other...hey it's been a while.... and if it isn't installed right it will hold the presure plate away from the plates.... no clutch.....

Also gotta ask. Are you saying that your not getting any resistence from the lever, or it's binding and you can't move it???

had the same exact problem with mine when i put it back together. i think i found the problem by looking at the yamaha parts diagram i belive i put the thrust washer on the wrong side of the clutch boss so when i torqued down the nut holding it in it was squeezing it against the back of the clutch.

Relocating that washer, to just under the nut locking tab will work wonders, for the clutch operation.:2cents:

Undo the Clutch Cover and feel if the Pressure Plate is moving at all when you pull the Clutch Lever.

If there's no Movement, the Rods might stick like Condor described. If the Rods are fine, the Ball might be fallen out during remounting.

If everything is fine on this mechanical Side, you might have the Clutch mounted with the Mechanics in pressed Conditon and the M/C Relief Hole on the bottom of the M/C is clogged.

(Most likely the Ball is missing)

Thaks for all the tips so far. The ball is in place, the pressure plate moves out about close to a 1\4 inch or maybe a little less, I warmed up the oil and let it run to sync the carbs, checked the pressure plates to make sure they alllll went in the same way, turned the friction plates so that the single cut out now lines up with the marks on the basket, made sure that the alingment on the pressure plate was lined up with the mark on the basket, made sure that the pressure plate was seated flate before spring installation, removed the slave to check the installation,:think::think: now I'll check to make sure I put a washer under the nut. I have a sledge hammer, a 5 foot crowbar, a big hole out in the back yard and a lot of patience, but Sunday is riding weather:happy65::happy65:still 3 days to go