IGNORED

Stirring the pot...Venture MKII vs GoldWing Aspencade GL1200

VanRiver

Thought I would stir the pot a bit..:witch_brew:..I'm a very fortunate man who has "too many motorcycles" according to my wife, spread across our two places we call home in Alberta Canada and Arizona USA. I just happen to have a 1986 Venture Royale up in Alberta and a 1984 Honda GoldWing Aspencade GL1200 in Arizona.

I have been doing a lot of riding on my Venture this year as I just finished the restoration and the novelty still has not worn off that bike yet (and probably never will since I love it!) But, I'm currently in Arizona and have been riding my GoldWing and I'm not really enjoying it as much as I used too as I keep comparing it to the Venture, and it seems to be falling short in many categories.

Long story short, I MUCH prefer the Venture now!!! These 2 touring giants were the best of their day and hard core rivals in the consumer market with Honda kicking butt.....but if I was able to hop in my "Time Machine" back to 1986 I think I would be passing the Honda dealership and heading straight to Yamaha....for a touring bike anyway.

Do you guys agree? :witch_brew:

If you were back in 1986, what bike would you buy (Yamaha or Honda...or Other)? Let me know what you think! :stickpoke:

Here are some pics of my Venture and Goldwing that "share me", even though they live thousands of miles away from each other.... one in the scorching Desert :usa: the other on the unforgiving Canadian Tundra! :canada:

image001.jpg IMG_3345.jpg

I had three 1200 wings over the years, and prefer the MkII. While the wing has a flat power band, the venture has more in the usable range. For the long legged like me, the flat wing engine pushes the feet too far back. Best yet, the venture just sounds stronger.

Touring bike: venture

"Swing for the fences" Sport bike: fj1200

Cruiser: VMAX

750 Sport bike: FZ750

600 sport bike: FZ600

2 stroke: RZ350 or the ultimate RZ500

Dirt bike: any of the YZ's

There's just not much reason for me to have gone anywhere besides Yamaha in 1986.

Was the golden age of Yamaha AFAIC...:)

In 1986 I bought a 1983 GW Aspencade. There were a couple Ventures that I looked at ... didn't test ride.

In 1987 I test rode a new Venture and so wanted to trade my Wing in but just couldn't afford it at the time.

So, knowing what I now know, I would have bought a new Venture then, somehow, some way I would have found the money needed.

That said, the Wing lasted me 6 years and I sold it for the same price I paid. Doubt I would have been able to do that with a Venture.

Actually I was there and chose the Yamaha, hands down,,,, faster - better fuel economy -more comfortable (IMHO), sportier (talking MK1 though) and, get this, actually easier to work on from my prospective.. It wasnt just Yamaha that had stator problems, unfortunately a repair of a bad stator on the Honda meant you had to remove the motor. Also, those Honda's had interference motors on em and timing belts that loved to pull shinanigans = bent valves if not addressed.. I never really did understand the "cult" following of the Wings but they sure did bring a TON more $$'s in resale (bought/sold many of them) and THAT has always been another HUGE plus in me finding and wearing out the good ol 1st Gen's, given - that nasty 2nd gear issue (again - Mk1's) has been a big part of being able to find the 1st Gens for under a grand thru the years BUT - who really needs a second gear with all the POWER of the mighty V-4!!

On a side note,, I always did really like the exposed carbs on the wings - made for fun carb work (lots easier than ours) BUT - I never really cared for those heads down there where I wanted to put my feet - plus the heat down there...

Personally,, if that Kawi Voyager 2 (not the 1300, they had issues, I am talking about the 1200) had of fit me better (no where near enough leg room for me) I probably would have been a Kawi rider for all these years and may never have met all you lop eared varmints.. Oppsss, Didnt mean to side track your question here Van..

Bottom line Van,, I like BOTH your scoots and think you are one fortunate man to have two gorgeous scoots to ride in two separate locations!! Ya done been blessed brother!! :thumbsup:

My :2cents:,, probably worth about half of those :2cents::doh:

I wanna live in AZ too,, right at the top of the hill in Jerome!! You guys are hogging all the really good riding, dry,, no bugs, hot,, no bugs,, lots of sunshine, and did I say no bugs :big-grin-emoticon:

HI Puc, only problem is I can fry bacon on my shins from the lava hot air coming off those GoldWing heads 2" from my legs, not to mention the 110 degree normal air temperature. Could probably bake a pie in the rear trunk too while I ride.....mmmmm PIE mmmmm....sorry got distracted there for a moment.:sun::hihi:

What da hey Van,, switch em around,, ride the wing up to the cooler Alberta where those hot heads would be appreciated and then ride the Venture down to AZ where you can find LOTS of open spaces to LET ER BUCK!!!!! Besides,,, you can make sure all your side covers are in place on the Venture to keep the heat off ya, remove the lower fairing so the side air is blowing on you and they are amazing for hot, long, wide open desert riding!! :thumbsup:

Yamaha made a great touring bike. But IMHO they made two fatal mistakes. First they failed to advertise it. When I decided to move from a small cruiser to a touring bike, I got on eBay in search of used Honda Goldwing. Why, because that and the Ultra was all I ever really heard of. A smart seller, cross listed his '92 Venture Royale in the Goldwing category causing me to stumbled upon it. I did a little reading on it and bought it. That ultimately led me to my RSV.

The other mistake they made was taking a 6 year break from offer a full touring bike. The whole time, Honda continued to refine the Goldwing. When they did re-enter the ring in 1999, they did so by changing their market from competing with the Goldwing to competing with the HD Ultra. Good thing because Goldwing introduced the GL1800 a year later.

And here we go again. Looks like Yamaha learned nothing. They still do not advertise their rides much and have no true tourers in the line up and no indication when we will see one. Both Goldwing and the Ultra have since made huge leaps in technology and features.

I think there is still a market for them. There are plenty of people who either can not fit on a wing or simply do not like they styling yet insist on a liquid cooled touring bike. If Yamaha comes out with something to fill that gap... they might have a winner. If they try to either be a wing or Ultra clone... my guess is it will flop. I often wonder what the Venture Royale could have developed into had they not abandoned it in 1993.

((I often wonder what the Venture Royale could have developed into had they not abandoned it in 1993.))

My mind boggles with the thought. They were ahead of their time at that time...all they had to do was continue development.

Probably mostly VMax guts with proper fairings and bags.

Oh, how delicious would the new 1700 'max motor be in a full boat touring bike........175 hp and no waiting.

I'd buy that!

Ah well, it's nice to dream......

(I feel a photochop moment coming on!)

Probably mostly VMax guts with proper fairings and bags.

Oh, how delicious would the new 1700 'max motor be in a full boat touring bike........175 hp and no waiting.

I'd buy that!

Hey @Great White...get in line buddy, as I would be camping out front of the local Yamaha dealership for a bike like that..a boy can dream..as long as they finally phase out the Cassette Tape deck stereo of course. :doh:

Edited by VanRiver

Or... how we do it in the south... deep fried bacon pie!

Hey @Venturous...I like the way you think.....actually I believe I've eaten that at the Calgary Stampede fairgrounds!

Words to live by: "Everything tastes better wrapped in bacon!":hihi:

By the way, sorry to hear about your accident and the damage to your beautiful GL1800, glad you weren't hurt and hope they replace you scoot for ya real soon!