IGNORED

Cruise control slipping

Hi all,

My cruise control engages fine and behaves very well ... almost. It slips. If I lock it in at 65 after 20 seconds it will slip down to 63 ... then after 20 seconds maybe 60 etc. If i hit the accelerate button it will do that, and then slip again.

Any suggestions?

Thanks all!

Thanks.

Interesting... where are the vacuum pump and actuator located? Maybe it's just a hose leak.

Thanks again

Not sure on a 2nd gen. Someone else can hopefully help you out with that one. I think there's a downloadable service manual here on the forum. That would give you location and troubleshooting info.

Edit*

Here's a link to a 99 manual: http://www.yamahaventure.nl/en/servicemanuals.html

Looks like its up behind the fairing, kind of similar to a first gen.

Page 8-72 shows you how to make the system do a self diagnostic. That won't find a vacuum leak, but at least it's a starting point...

Edited by Great White

Not sure on a 2nd gen. Someone else can hopefully help you out with that one. I think there's a downloadable service manual here on the forum. That would give you location and troubleshooting info.

Edit*

Here's a link to a 99 manual: http://www.yamahaventure.nl/en/servicemanuals.html

Looks like its up behind the fairing, kind of similar to a first gen.

Page 8-72 shows you how to make the system do a self diagnostic. That won't find a vacuum leak, but at least it's a starting point...

Wow... lots of info. Thank you so much

Mine seems to do the same thing but will eventually lock into a speed. I was in MI last week and kept trying to set it at 72mph, it would slowly slide back to 68mph over the course of like 3 miles but then would be rock steady at 68 for miles (speeds as shown on GPS, not dash).

My 1st gen does similar. The cruise always steadies out about 5 MPH less that what I set it for. So I either speed up to the extra 5 before I hit set, or hit set, wait a bout 5 miles for it to stabilize and them hit ACCL a few times to get it back to where I wanted it in the first place.

My 2nd gen is having problems engaging as well. The lights on the dash respond but speed will drop as if I just let go of the throttle, no cruise involved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a drop off for sure if all you do is hit set. Have you tried to hit set then press and hold the "Res" side down for about three seconds. That takes that initial drop off away for me. Hope that helps you out a little

My 1st gen does similar. The cruise always steadies out about 5 MPH less that what I set it for.

That's interesting... I haven't had the patience to wait, pay attention, and see what happens... I will watch for that, but I still think I have a problem. If I recall, mine will keep dropping

There is a drop off for sure if all you do is hit set. Have you tried to hit set then press and hold the "Res" side down for about three seconds. That takes that initial drop off away for me. Hope that helps you out a little

I have tried that as well, still seems to slow. I've let it slow down as much as 10mph before I decide I better keep up with traffic! I am planning on checking the vacuum tubes tomorrow before my ride up to Yellowstone this weekend.

Will check tomorrow! Thanks!! From my test tonight (after adjusting my throttle cable) I pushed set at 60, and released throttle while holding resume until the bike slows to 45. Is there something stupid I'm doing wrong?? I've never had it working in the year I've owned it, so I don't know 100% how it works