IGNORED

Why the Goldwing?

az1103

What I dont like about Honda 1800 Gold Wings:

Nothing,, I like them... :big-grin-emoticon:

What I like better about Tweeks:

1. I can leave the key's in her any where I go cause she can take care of herself.. If someone actually decided to steal her - when they hit second gear in an intersection and fell over because there is no functional second gear, Tweeks and I would sit on the curb, point and laugh at the offending thief and then she would leave her mark :255:across his legs.. :missingtooth:

2. Tweeks loves kids, old people and animals (especially Goats - just found that out).. She loves to have people sign her so her and I can have memory conversations during the cold winter months when the Fool is practicing his silly :snow: games.. She also likes animal smells like rotting antlers and goat pee and has never complained about my funny smells after a week of riding with no shower..

3. The ups and downs of the economy has never had any effect on the resale value of Tweeks, she has always been worth the cost of a bus ticket back to Michigan from anywhere in the lower 48.. If this ever changes I will have to hitch hike back home in the event of a non-repairable break down - if this happens I will have more time while hitch hiking to recall all the great memories Tweeks and I had together.. This would actually result in an increase in her value = cant lose!!:happy65:

4. Concerning the probably of breaking down because Tweeks is getting really really tired. It has come to my attention that breaking down, although not really something any of us look forward to - me included, does have its positive side affects. As the two of us age (Tweeks and I - Tippy continues to get younger as time goes on), for some reason (maybe its pity) people seem to really enjoy rescuing us and the two of us end up with new really really really good friends.. A perfect example of this was the "TEXAS INCIDENT" = many friends for life came from that..

5. 1%ers, thugs, robbers, bandito's, gangs, drug dealers, homeless people, USDA people, DNR, FFA, FAA, Postal Workers, Police Officers and even Burger King Managers leave us alone when we camp out behind bushes.. It just seems like they read us as harmless, non threatening types (they are reading me right but they really dont know Tweeks) and we get away with farrrrrrr more than anyone riding any other motorcycle could ever get away with.. Beggars end up offering us food..:confused24:

6. Tweeks makes every other motorcycle on the road look really really nice. This quiet humbleness on her part is something I greatly appreciate. In a day and age when intense beauty is very important to so many people, it makes me very proud to be riding an old scoot that has such a servant's heart that makes those other folks attempts at having a gorgeous machine that much easier.

7. Tweeks is at her best in dry desert temps, doesnt care for rain and detests being cold.. Matches my personality perfectly.

8. Tweeks likes to keep moving and not stop for hours and hours and hours while riding in the high, dry desert temps. Matches my personality perfectly.

9. Tippy and Tweeks have something going on. Some kind of a girly connection. Tweeks has developed an attitude about starting properly if I try to sneak off without Tippy in her seat. She also has a way of contacting the weather god's if I am successful in sneaking off for a ride without Tippy and it will rain - guarenteed..

10. Tweeks like me to sing Willie Nelson songs to her while we travel. Go figure...

I want to thank all of you who chimed in and helped me make a decision !

This morning we went to the Indian dealer and rode a Roadmaster.....WOW ! We were thoroughly impressed. The bike is gorgeous, the engine is powerful and sounds great. Vibration is minimal and there is serious torque at low rpms. Even though it's heavier than the RSV it is not as hard to handle at low speeds.

For anyone interested in a real quality V twin, I highly recommend that you check it out.

However, in the afternoon we found a GW dealer who let us ride the one with all but the airbag in the cherry red metallic and black. And the rest is history, as they say. Love at first ride ! Our new GW will be ready for delivery on Tuesday or Wednesday !!!

The only thing that kind of bums me out is despite being in stellar condition with brand new tires and all sorts of accessories, the most I could get for trade in is 6K ! But on the bright side I don't have to go through the hassle and wait of selling it personally.....I guess I'll get over it, but it won't be easy.

So let me once again thank all of you for helping me out. My wife is happy and I am sure I will be too as soon as that bike is delivered.

Of course if someone is ready for a beautiful 2007 Midnight venture with extras and 13.5K on the odometer, let me know.

I want to thank all of you who chimed in and helped me make a decision !

This morning we went to the Indian dealer and rode a Roadmaster.....WOW ! We were thoroughly impressed. The bike is gorgeous, the engine is powerful and sounds great. Vibration is minimal and there is serious torque at low rpms. Even though it's heavier than the RSV it is not as hard to handle at low speeds.

For anyone interested in a real quality V twin, I highly recommend that you check it out.

However, in the afternoon we found a GW dealer who let us ride the one with all but the airbag in the cherry red metallic and black. And the rest is history, as they say. Love at first ride ! Our new GW will be ready for delivery on Tuesday or Wednesday !!!

The only thing that kind of bums me out is despite being in stellar condition with brand new tires and all sorts of accessories, the most I could get for trade in is 6K ! But on the bright side I don't have to go through the hassle and wait of selling it personally.....I guess I'll get over it, but it won't be easy.

So let me once again thank all of you for helping me out. My wife is happy and I am sure I will be too as soon as that bike is delivered.

Of course if someone is ready for a beautiful 2007 Midnight venture with extras and 13.5K on the odometer, let me know.

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::dancefool::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

:ice_congrats-vi6886 AZ AND WELCOME TO THE FAMILY YOU GREAT BIG GORGEOUS BLACK AND RED HONDA WING!!!!

Congrats. Sounds like you got the same Level 3 we recently bought. You will LOVE IT. Those Indians and new Victory's sure are extremely pretty machines... but like you.. once you ride the Wing, there is simply nothing on the market that competes with its power and handling.

Yeah, trade in for our RSV's can be disappointing. They offered me $1500 for my 2002 with 120,000 miles. I politely laughed in their face. :) I stripped it of accessories and got about $2600 for parted out accessories, then sold the bike for $1500 cash plus a '95 Honda Magna worth about $2000. So I ended up getting over $6000 for it, but it was a bit of work. $1500.... HA!

Congrats and watch for propane trucks. Seems this color attracts them....

All this GW talk got me looking. I found a F6b for about 13k. Its a 13. A little research told me no cruise on that model. Could it be added for reasonable cost? Also how is passenger seat on those, can a GW seat be moved over? Sorry guess I should post all new questions in new thread.

I gotta go with Gary on that thought.. Gotta be a way to Baggerize a wing by yanking the trunk, have the seat you want, all the accessories of a Wing like the cruise PLUS, and its a HUGE plus,, if you ever end up wanting to put the trunk back on for over the road touring it will be sitting in storage waiting for you!! Cant imagine what it would cost to buy a trunk to convert an F6 but I bet it aint cheap!!

All this GW talk got me looking. I found a F6b for about 13k. Its a 13. A little research told me no cruise on that model. Could it be added for reasonable cost? Also how is passenger seat on those, can a GW seat be moved over? Sorry guess I should post all new questions in new thread.

Dion, go here and poke around, free to join so you can ask questions, but may take a couple of days to get a voice aproved.

http://hondaf6b.com/forum.php

I just survived a lay off where i work, took out 40 people, just about 10% of the work force, not sure they are done yet.

Took 2 of he 5 people that work in my department.

So I am looking a little , not a lot here in Daytona that pays decent.

Even pulling a fully loaded trailer, I stop for gas at 230 miles instead of 141, legs hind behind the fairing, you can open the lowers while driving and keep your feet and legs dry while riding. No fog windshields, open vents. Phone charger, Nav system with weather alerts, heated seats and grips, reverse whe moving that large trailer.

One dislike, the front tire is thinner and does not take to metal grade bridges ( it's always fun when your crossing a large bridge in the pouring rain with a trailer on with a SUV trying to drive over you) ( almost pushing down over the grade)

He got his pay backs, can't drive with two flat tires.

ive had both, the wing blows it away on handleing, acceleration, top speed, ride, no engine heat, passenger comfort, electronics, reliability, fuel injection, and ease of tire changes. the 3 things wrong with the wing i had was lack of leg room, front suspension sucks, and you got to like the styling. i loved my wing and would have kept it but it killed my bad hips and knees. i upgaded my forks and the handling was excellent. mine was an 09 that i bought new. i don't care for the latest looks on the new models. the big thing i did'nt like about the yamaha, was the constant shifting. you put the wing in top gear and leave it there. it pulled strong down to 1200 rpm.

Why the goldwing?

To put it simply, its the last man standing on the full boat touring bike segment.

Natural selection? Survival of the fittest?

Who knows....but it is the 'wing or nothing in its weight class.

It's been the only player for so long, I doubt even a big money company like Yamaha could dent their market. I doubt anyone would even want to try anyways with it being considered a "niche" market these days and everyone seeming to obsess on the "Harley look".

:confused24:

i went from the wing to a stratoliner s. this is my all time favorite bike. mine has a few tweaks and is very fast, and ultra powerful. they say they are as fast as the wing. i think it may be but has a totaly different feel. it rides and handles as good as my wing. i love the v-twin feel and looks. alot of folks over look this bike. they don't quite fit in the all out touring class but they are cheap, and do everything a motorcycle should do perfect. the deluxe model has some of the touring goodies. i don't know why more folks don't check out the strat. they are almost vibration free due to counterbalancers in the motor. i get a light vibration at 67 mph. sadly this will probably be my last year of riding due to health issues. try one you might like it.

A buddy of mine bout the Strat a couple years back just before a long trip we took from NC to up by Toronto. He never lacked keeping up with my RSV or the HD Soft Tail that was along. I liked the bike. I really think IF Yamaha goes back into making touring bikes, this will be the format they use.

i went from the wing to a stratoliner s. this is my all time favorite bike. mine has a few tweaks and is very fast, and ultra powerful. they say they are as fast as the wing. i think it may be but has a totaly different feel. it rides and handles as good as my wing. i love the v-twin feel and looks. alot of folks over look this bike. they don't quite fit in the all out touring class but they are cheap, and do everything a motorcycle should do perfect. the deluxe model has some of the touring goodies. i don't know why more folks don't check out the strat. they are almost vibration free due to counterbalancers in the motor. i get a light vibration at 67 mph. sadly this will probably be my last year of riding due to health issues. try one you might like it.

Actually , I did consider it, but it's no longer in Yamaha's lineup and not expected to return just like the RSV.

Sorry I am late to the party here as life has totally smothered me from activities such as this. Many members who have wings mentioned stuff that may or may not be the same as my 2 cents, but if so it bears repeating.

first, I'd like to say Barney's in Brooksville Florida are fantastic people. 2 years ago I test rode a 2010 and had it out all day. No one chaperoned me. I had it in traffic, highway, radio loud and louder, abs brakes the works. After speaking w Steve K I decided to keep my RSV because of RSV low miles, well taken care of, add ons from members here and I also took the ride like a pro course and felt I can do anything on it. Took the RSV to the dragon during Vogel and had a blast. For me, I wanted a GW for these main reasons: abs brakes, reverse, low center of gravity for easy handing like a smaller bike in traffic, the loud ass stereo system. Being a smaller guy, I struggles sometimes with the RSV on hills and parking. I never dropped the bike, but it was always in back of mind. Here is what I love and miss about the RSV: it was 2003, two tone paint, had diamond cuts, lights etc and always had compliments. Easy( per se) to change and fix things. I learned from these members how to do my carb sync, my LED lights and minor repairs. I liked having people come up and ask what is that. The bullet proof motor. The fact it had METAL on the tank for my tank bag and can lock individual saddle bags, hasn't stranded me in torrential rain and the Avon Cobras handled the bike with no issues.

Here is what I did not like: heavy, top heavy, always on guard with how to maneuver in close traffic and such. The sluggish feeling on hills, the cassette deck, the fact it always had some fuel smell for a day maybe 2 in the garage after a ride, the fact I don't have the skill set or confidence to fix things like the members here( puc, Eck etc)Now none of those reasons were a deal breaker, but I have been OCD about the GW since that test ride and when I was able to financially pull the trigger, I did on a pristine, original owner 2008 ABS model with 24885 on the clock. This was his 8 th GW, because he had the means to upgrade and sell at will. This GW should be my last big bike purchase. The power, the pick up is night and day vs. the RSV, the ABS saved my bacon coming back from 2014 IR when a doe and baby ran less than a foot in front of me full speed and the abs was a blessing, handling was a dream. No fatigue in the seat, which I had Rick Butler modify slightly, the cruise control up hills stays constant, no after smell, the radio is an MP3 player and can place almost 1000 songs and high volume without sacrificing quality, the original owner dropped 4500-5000 on chrome, lights, cb and etc which I would NOT have gone that crazy. overall I love the bike and don't mind saying I should have done it sooner, but the timing wasn't there. I will say here is what I wish were different or changed on the GW:

individual locking of saddlebags vs. all lock at same time, air filter changing is absurd, prices for parts and or service is high, the fact most people "ASSUME" I am an old fart with matching helmet and gear ( until they hear my heavy metal blasting) some people don't respect the bike or me as a rider because it is considered"Tupperware", I wish it had electronic windshield and center stand as for me at 5'7 used to be a pain to prop up but I've got the technique down.

There really isn't the perfect bike, and pros and cons for everything. For me, my purpose, my wants and desires, my goal is to ride, have fun, not worry about breaking down and being a mechanic, both bikes serve that purpose. For comfort on long trips, both work as I did ride over 1000 miles in or near a weekend in the rain on both, no worries. But as I get older, I want things to be just a tad bit easier. You can't go wrong with either machine, but for my purposes the GW far outshines the RSV, minus those mentioned above. The GW is basically a sport bike with a trunk, it's faster and leans well at faster speeds than RSV

Oh....the RSV forum blows away some of the other GW forums, so y'all stuck w me here. And ....some GW members on here like Eck, Steve and the former member Buddy are just some of the best people you can meet, associate with and ride with.

Dion, I was told they can not add one on as a factory package, was told you'd just get those that lock down on the throttle, the aftermarket kind...