IGNORED

Making an early RSTD run,, anyone ever tried?

cowpuc

:witch_brew: time around the fire!!

Been seeing a number of early model RSTD's around a very good prices.. Seems I have read that they were majorly detuned? Wondered if any of our gear heads has taken the time to bring one back up to the higher numbers we see with the 1st or 2nd gens? Maybe I am completely out in right field even asking that question,, maybe its the quoted numbers on those early bikes just being quoted wrong from Yamaha? Never rode one, anyone actually owned both that can give good comparo - between a 1st Gen and an early RSTD?

Thoughts?

Thanks!!

Your used to a 1st gen. RSTD is a 2nd gen. nuff said........:stirthepot:

But,, and I may be wrong about this, arent the early model RSTD different in umph than the later ones? Seems like I read that they have smaller carbs until early 2000's? Wondered if a person could swap out a set of 83 carbs, open the pipes and make it go like stink or if cams, ignition curve, compression ratio and all that has to be addressed..

:icon_lurker:

Paaatuuuueeee,, this popcorn takes like shoe leather,,, Hand me the marshmellows, gram crackers and hersey bars will ya Fool

I dont know a whole lot about the early (prior 2005) tour deluxe. They might call them a different name. Anyways I do belive they had like 22mm carbs vs what 2nd gen stuff has. I would guess the ignition is a bit more revy due the the EPA regs that came around later.

Cowpuc,

Yes the 1996 to 2001 original Royal Stars, of which one model was called Tour DeLuxe had 22mm carbs, low performance cams and the valve springs were weak, a few folks have made adapters to fit the larger carbs from newer Venture /Tour Deluxe to them , that helps, they make a DYNA 3K ignition for them but with the cams and springs as they were there was a note in the DYNA set up instruction cautioning about setting the rev limiter above a certain point, becaus eit could result in valve float. If went to the trouble of puting in lager carbs, you would probably need to go in and port and polish the heads, maybe try for some larger valves, V-max cams and springs and open up the breather system because it was also vey restrictive.

Or do what Gary Dingus (Dingy) is doing fit a Gen I motor to a standard Royal Star frame.

So where is Dingy, have not seen him on the boards for a long time.

1996 to 2000 or 2001 had 28mm carbs, smaller valves, single valve springs and a milder grind cam. Later models have 32mm carbs, larger valves with dual springs, better cam profile and different rear gearing. As I recall, the transmission gearing is also different. Some have changed to VMax dual springs and cams and later model RS 32mm carbs. Changing the cams and springs is a direct swap, no mods needed. Changing carbs requires using the correct intake manifolds to match the larger carbs. The manifolds have to be milled down and adapter plates made and placed between the manifolds and heads. Then you have to come up with an air filter system that will work. Another mod is to swap year gearing with VMax gearing.

what's all this talk about a 1st gen faster than a 2nd because the took 2nd gen parts and put them on their 1st gen. :witch_brew:

You have that all bassackwards. You put 2nd gen parts onto a 1st get to slow the first gens down so that we do not eat all of the ice cream before you can catch up.......:stickpoke:

in answer to the question YES. my old 96 that my son still rides. Dyna box allow a change to a more aggressive timing curve. rejetted the 28 mm carbs(later models had 32mm), added super trap 4-2 headers with fish tails. Moved the redline up to about 6800 rpm with the dyna box. This allowed me to run first to about 47 mph and not hit that damn reve limiter so i could hit 2nd right in the sweet spot and rocket past 65, then 3rd way up in the 90's, in 4th the speedo hit the pin and it still would pull and accelerate in 5th. never had anyone next to me at those speeds to see what their speedo read, but by mile markers on 75 south of Naples well over 140MPH. I could leg it light to light around town with the CBR 's and GS's until we hit the curves. Did some checking about moving the redline up to 7500 rpm but the valve springs just won't take it, it would require high pressure springs out of a V-max, yamaha still sells them. On the Venture could probably do the same work on the motor but with all the fairings and gear don't think you could get it much over 115MPH. Mine feels like its about to loose it around 105MPH and gets real squirelly , but on a TC/TD with no or a cut down windshield no sweat.

Edited by baylensman

The '96 to '01 RS's were called RST Classics, Boulevards, Standards as well as Deluxes. I have a '96 RSTC myself and I have no problem with it being stock but then souping up a bike has never been my thing. For a wuss like myself, the '96 has plenty of power and has no problem keeping up with interstate traffic or a bunch of idiots who think the speed limit is actually about 10 mph or more above what's posted . My first ride on my TC was from Illinois where I bought the bike down to KBran's place in La. for a MD and then home to Houston. It had no problem handling the traffic and I55 is no place for slowpokes. The bike is great [for me at least!] as is. I love it.

Thank you gang for the info!! Seeing some very good deals out there on these early models had me wondering what could respectfully be done to tune em - if needed.. I appreciate all the advice - you lop eared varmints (and you too Brenda) are the GREATEST!! :thumbsup: