IGNORED

Side Stand Question

I'm in the habit of using the center stand whenever possible, but this bike is pretty heavy....and I'm normally only about 60% successfully on pulling the bike up onto the to the stand on the first try and my success rate goes down considerably on the third fourth and fifth try.

My question, as the title implies, is about the side stand...when using the side stand my bike seems to stand too straight up, almost to the point of being rather tippy...I can't believe this is normal!? Now I know it's not a good thing if it's leaning over too far but this is ridiculous!

Can I adjust the lean angle....safely? Or is this how the Yamaha engineers designed it?

I'm in the habit of using the center stand whenever possible, but this bike is pretty heavy....and I'm normally only about 60% successfully on pulling the bike up onto the to the stand on the first try and my success rate goes down considerably on the third fourth and fifth try.

My question, as the title implies, is about the side stand...when using the side stand my bike seems to stand too straight up, almost to the point of being rather tippy...I can't believe this is normal!? Now I know it's not a good thing if it's leaning over too far but this is ridiculous!

Can I adjust the lean angle....safely? Or is this how the Yamaha engineers designed it?

Try adding more air to the suspension. This will raise the bike, making the lean, while on the sidestand more pronounced and allow you to get it onto the centerstand much more easily.

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

I had the same issue for a while.

My bike was so upright I could easily tip it over to the right with one finger. I always worried about a puff of wind or even a child getting to close and having 900 lbs of bike on top of them.

I was almost to the point of getting out the hacksaw and shortening the stand by a half inch or so.

Adding air to the suspension did raise it up enough to get a more normal lean angle on the side stand. Doing this also stiffens up the suspension a bit, I actually like the stiffer suspension better than the soft soggy one.

I also when I put the bike on the side stand I always give a good pull to the left using the side stand as a fulcrum to fully extend the suspension to get a little more lean angle. This is part of how I know that my front springs are shot, I have the new progressive springs, I just need time to install them.

There is also a good chance that your front springs are old and soggy, A little extra air will help them along.

There is also a lot of technique involved in getting a bike this heavy up on the center stand. Once you master the technique it looks effortless. When I bought mine the salesman was a little guy, about 5' 6" and maybe 130 lbs. I asked him how hard it is to get a bike this big up on the center stand so he popped it up there like it was nothing. Just like there is technique involved in getting the bike back up if/when it takes a dirt nap.

I agree! This is the worst side stand angle I've ever had on a bike before. I always dismount first then grab the handle bars and give them a tug to the port side before the wife moves and inch!

We found out the first time we stopped and I jumped off like normal, not noticing the bike was standing almost vertically because of the slight grade we stopped on. While I stood there the bike started tipping to the right while my wife went to grab the handle bars gasping "CHRIIIIIIISS"! LOL.

I would've watched her and the bike fall over but luckily one of the guys in the group we were with happened to be standing right there Johnny on the spot and stopped the whole fiasco! lol

I didn't think about increasing the air in the suspension for the side stand, but I use my center stand about half the time and I've learned to grab the handle bar and the passenger hand rail and rock the bike 2-3 times and it seems like the harder I press down with my right foot on the center stand pad the easier it comes up, plus, emptying all the gear out of the trunks helps too.

That said we love this bike. We have had just about all of them out there, even won a big new H.D. in '95 but me and more importantly, the wife, agree that this is one of the most comfortable bikes we've ever traveled on.

That's kind of weird for me. My 83 leans left just about right. I'd have to through my body into it to get it to tip.

Maybe your springs/air shocks/forks bear closer scrutiny for sag/wear?

Center stand is a bit difficult if you're not used to it. This is the heaviest bike I've ever owned and it seems a bit more difficult than I'm used to.

A good pair of boots to put your weight down on the center stand lever is almost a must. Sneakers and such don't cut it. You can do it with sneakers (I've done it wearing crocks) but the sole of your foot is gonna hurt. The rest is just proper technique.

:)

I concur with GW. My 1st gen sits on it's side stand with a nice lean...and my suspension is set on "Low". Everything stock.

As far as center stand....I always used to raise suspension to "auto", "High"...then plant boot firmly on stand and center bike while pushing down on stand with foot. This allows me to get the stand to hold the bike vertical...then I put all my weight on the stand and pull BACK with left hand on bars and right hand on passenger hold bar. The bike pops right up with very little effort. I do NOT use my upper body to try and lift the bike. At 67 years young, no way I could do that! I let the weight of my body on the stand and the weight of the bike pull it backwards and up. It is really easy once you figure out the technique. One fluid motion and she's up.

Lately I've found myself putting the bike on the stand then realizing I forgot to raise the suspension. That's a good thing...as before I always had to remember to lower the suspension as I didn't want the 25 year old seals to blow out with all that pressure on them sitting for days.

Just a Thought...

david

Have your bike on the center stand when you increase the pressure on the back shock. My bike doesn't raise when I increase the pressure while sitting on the bike.

It also helped a bunch to install progressive springs on the front.

I agree with the comment on progressive springs. My bike leans heavily on the side stand and I have to make effort to pull it up once mounted to kick my side stand up. I have actually been considering lengthening the side stand. My rear suspension is stock and I am running progressives in the front without the spacers and keep my pressure as low as I can in the rear.

Wow good post!

I'm a bit of an odd-ball with my bikes, for one I like to nap on them, don't know why, have even slept on them over night, this one really lends itself to that, and on the side stand as well.

I have also seen the bike tip over with my GF still on, fortunately just the light skirt only, received damage. Now to add to my surprise, my GF picked it up before I reached her and it! Babe I said, if I ever misbehave -just remind me of this moment:) true story!

Also this is the only big bike I've owned, I can use the center stand on, providing I air up.

If I'm leaving the bike on the street I pull the right bar down, making it to uncomfortable for kids to sit on her. Eventually we are all going to weep the air in the forks, so the answer must be the springs.

Totally agree with TIME FOR PROGRESSIVES!! Dont wait, if your fork springs are sacked out (and it sounds like they are) the internals of your forks are in danger of damage and your cornering capabilities are infringed upon..