IGNORED

Need advice with auto gas line problem Please!

frodotoo

In trying to sell off a 2002 Hyundai Sonata V6 I noted a small gas leak in the high pressure line to the fuel rail. The line is connected to the SS gas line to the tank with a compression fitting (?!) It won't come apart no matter how hard I try. There is no pressure on the line and I used flare nut wrenches (19mm and 14mm) that rounded one side of the the compression nut. And yes I'm turning it the right way! I've not rounded the other side yet and have not tried vice grips yet either. I don't think trying to heat the fittings of a gasoline line would be a good idea :think:

Any thoughts on how to free this connection?

Are you sure that the nut you are trying to remove is not welded to the bracket that is bolted to the car?

On my GM vehicles that joint always has a bracket with one of the lines permanently attached to the bracket.

The small hex is usually the one welded on.

Dremel tool and grinding disks cut the top off the fixed nut and it relieved the pressure enough to just spin off in my hand. Seems every time you match steel and brass at a connection like that they never seem to want to come apart. Now I just need to find a replacement line. Off to Orlin's this weekend to learn a little about MC maintenance 101.

Sorry about your car problems Frodo, nothing I can offer to help, just wanted to say howdy - hope to see ya on the road this year brother!!

All the best with your repair!!

Puc

Ditto Puc, heading out to the Maggie Valley area in early July with some other folks from the site here and then after that who knows what the rest of the riding season may bring?? I am ready to abandon the great white north this year, been looking for a retirement home in Georgia. I hear you can ride nearly all year long down there.

I'd have to see a picture. Because most high pressure fuel lines use a special fitting that requires an equally special tool to remove.

Mike

Here it is

002 (450x800).jpg The repair manual had either a pushbutton type connector or a rounded plastic collar type connector that required a special tool.

Absolutely right. Very few newer cars have fuel lines threaded together anymore. All either spring clip inside the hose or a clip that has to be removed

Here it is

[ATTACH=CONFIG]99191[/ATTACH] The repair manual had either a pushbutton type connector or a rounded plastic collar type connector that required a special tool.

The picture is not what I expected to see. Most fuel lines have a round connecter which you can push in slightly. You then slide in a round release tool and pull the line apart. The picture I see looks like a flair nut. I'm surprised but it is not the first time I've been surprised. Use some liquid wrench and a pair of high quality tube wrenches.

Good Luck

Mike

Looks like some of that Wisconsin road rust got into the treads and locked it up.

Give it a good spray of a good penetrating oil like Liquid Wrench and let it set for an good hour then spray it again.

If the nut is rounded get a couple of Vice Grips and try that.

If that doesn't work???

Dremel tool and grinding disks cut the top off the fixed nut and it relieved the pressure enough to just spin off in my hand. Seems every time you match steel and brass at a connection like that they never seem to want to come apart. Now I just need to find a replacement line. Off to Orlin's this weekend to learn a little about MC maintenance 101.

So does this mean you got it apart? Or do we need dynamite to make the problem go away?

Ditto Puc, heading out to the Maggie Valley area in early July with some other folks from the site here and then after that who knows what the rest of the riding season may bring?? I am ready to abandon the great white north this year, been looking for a retirement home in Georgia. I hear you can ride nearly all year long down there.

I think ALL us members who live up here in the snow :cold: should pool ALL our retirement money together and buy one of them big o'l souther plantations houses and move. I'm sure the better havles wouldn't have a problem with doing ALL the cooking, cleaning and yard work while us good o'l boys go riding nad important stuff like that!!! :beer:

Got it apart using the Dremel and cutting discs. Tried everything I knew (PB Blaster & Liquid Wrench) vise grips/wrenches before using the dremel. Cut grooves in opposing sides of the stationary nut and then cut the end off. After that it spin meekly off with my fingers barely turning it. $92 for a replacement line, unless of course I wanted it Tuesday instead of Thursday which would have been an extra $21.