IGNORED

Your Opinion Please...Not VR related

GolfVenture

I would like your opinion...This Extimated related...

Having a building site cleared for a shop of about 30 X 50.

The following is the estimate:

Scope of work Includes:

1-Falling & limbing approximately 20 trees.

2-Removing all stumps and backfilling holes

3-Export and dispose of stumps and branches from down trees.

4-Remove organic material from approximately 15' outside of shop footprint of 30 ft by 50 ft and as needed for approach and tye-in to exiting driveway.

5- Spoils are to be spread out on low side of clearing site.

Option #1 Includes all of the above and stacking logs in designated stockpile area as discussed all for $3400.00

Option #2 Same as option #1 except he hauls the logs away all for $2800.00

1-He did not expect so many large rocks which increased his time.

However he did see large rocks about 100 ft from the clearing site that are about the same size.

2-He piled all the large rocks in a pile that was not included in the bid. But I did not ask for.

3-He said that he did more than tye-in to the existing driveway. He said he actually leveled and smooth out about 1/3 of the clearing. But I did not ask for this...

4-He said that he grosely under estimated the bid.

5-He did not come out directly but is hinting that I might consider the extra he did and is appeal to my good side for any extra compensation. He did not come out with any specific amount but is hinting.

NOw I've been trying to get other bids but no one would come out. This guy came for he is very close to me. I've talk to some friends that are home remodler and told me to take the bid for the bid is very very reasonable low.

So I do have a limited budget, and he seems to be a very honest and truthful person. He is young and has a family. I do like the guy.

But it seems that when every I get a bid and the job gets done much quicker the contractor is smiling ear to ear all the way to the bank. Then if I pay by the hour the guy works somewhat slow.

What would you do?

And if you gave him extra how much more would you give him in Percent? 5%, 10%, 15%, 25%, 50%.....more?

Well, here's my opinion, based on some guesstimating of my own and some personal experience. Around here about any dozer/highlift work will run you around $100/hr. You didn't state how long it took him to complete the job but it does sound like he did a good job for you. Are you doing the building project yourself? If not then the rough leveling work would have to be done at some point by someone. Basically you're looking at a 45' x 65' level spot, which if he has already done is a big plus. It all boils down to whether you are satisfied with his work, which it sounds like you are. If you both agreed to the higher bid, then I probably wouldn't pay him extra. But there is also one other thing that I personally would keep in mind and that is that he was the only one you got to come out and look at it. That may prove to be helpful later on if you need more cleanup/dressing after you get the building up. The few times I have had work like that done I've always left a little leeway for the operator to use his own judgment if needed, because it can look different from the seat when they are working. Just my .02, good luck!!

If he had quoted higher, would you have done the job?

Would you want to have good neighbour relations?

Is there a chance that you may have to have him back for more work?

Do you want him to speak well of you, are you building a business?

Just some thought you may want to answer.

He is valuing the logs at $600. Around here firewood is going for around $100 per full cord, cut split, delivered and stacked. How big is the pile of logs? What kind of wood? Are the logs something that could be cut into boards or is it just suitable for firewood.

It can cost $2500 to have just one big tree removed around here, withe the cutters taking all the wood.

As for the large rocks being put in a pile. He had to do something with them. You may be able to sell them to a landscape or garden store, and get them to come and pick them up. You wont get much if anything for them, but they would be gone.

His bid does sound really low.

If there is a writen contract he is leagally bound to that price, unless there is fine print in the contract boilerplate that allows for the unexpected.

Like others have mentioned, consider the future. Many contractors know each other, word may get out that they need to bid high to work for you.

AS to how much if anything to give him, that is tough without being there.

Look at it the same as a tip that you might leave a waitress that is exceptional.

I am an HVAC Contractor and have bid some high and some low it all generally levels out in the end but I have a soft spot for the self employed that are trying to make a living and doing an honest days work for an honest and fair price , if I feel someone that I have contracted with for a job did me a good job and went above and beyond which it sounds like he did then I will generally kick in what I think I can afford to do. It will come back to you in some form I believe, and it seems to all work out on working with limited funds sometimes. just my Opinion

I am a self-employed contractor, I am pretty new at this, only been doin it for about 40yrs. His bid was very low, I would guess for one of two reasons. He is either very young and inexperienced or he really, really needed the work. He made the fatal mistake of not including a "rock" clause in his agreement. By your description he did more then you asked, which makes me believe he is very consciencous about his work. He also didnt argue or give you a hard time about the money, you say he hinted? So your response will say more about "you". You can teach him a lesson and make him eat the extra work, something I was taught on more then one job. Or you can ask him what he feels a fair amount would be for the extra work, and negotiate from there. If the total was only $2800 and it took him an extra 20% in time you are not talking a whole lot of money. If it were a young guy doing work for me, and he did a great job, I would work with him.

Craig