IGNORED

I'm a bonehead !

ragtop69gs

While finishing up my fork rebuild and neck bearing service I was cleaning all the electrical connections in the fairing with electrical connection spray cleaner and it dripped down onto the clear wind deflectors attached to the inner fairing, melting streaks into both of them :crying: :doh: Yep, I'm a dumbas*

Does anyone have a pair they are not using and would like to get rid of ? I searched Ebay and none were to be had.

On a brighter note, while I had the forks apart I sanded and polished the lower fork legs, they now shine almost like chrome :) It's raining now so a test ride with the new sonic springs and 15W fork oil will have to wait.

Hey, ragtop what # sand paper did you use to get the forks to shine again. Thanks Jim

With a random orbital sander I started with 320 grit, 400, 600 then polished with a sewn wheel using green buffing compound followed by un-sewn wheel with white rouge then hand polished with Blue Magic and a tee shirt.

I had the lower tube off for a fork rebuild when I did this, much easier that way. There's a picture of the first one in this thread. Post #8

Edited by ragtop69gs

I wonder if you could polish out your streaks with some plastic polish. If not painting them may be your option.

I'm going to try a sand and polish, but I think it's too deep for that. Paint is an option I may use till I find some good ones.

You can polish it out, no doubt, seeing your post about polishing the forks. Use the same procedure, you will need to go to 1000 grit or possibly finer, then the polishing compound. Easy with the power tools, but the loose unsewn wheel can do a good job in the end, especially if you use a softer compound.

Raggy,, I have used that cheap "Plast-X" stuff from Wally World pretty successfully and have been amazed at how well it works on Windshields - I wonder what it would do for recovery on your project.. I know it the stuff that comes in their more expensive headlight repair kits but I always just buy the refill bottle and apply with a rag.. Might be worth a try!!

Jay,

You might want to try a headlight restorer kit with a powerball. I had a pretty bad shape lower wind deflectors and used a mothers headlight restore kit and they really came out nice... 0.02

Thanks Brad :thumbsup2: Worked like a charm :big-grin-emoticon: I was able to save the deflectors from the scrap pile.

Thank you to everyone else that offered suggestions too. :You_Rock_Emoticon: