IGNORED

1987 venture progressive springs

So, last weekend, I replaced the springs in the front of my 87. The old ones were 4-5 inches shorter than the new ones. There were 4-5 inch plugs that were inside the tube above the spring. The old springs were wound like a progressive spring so I am guessing they are a different brand like a Sonic? Anyway, I didn't use the spacer I just inverted the washer with the lip in it and used the factory cup under the threaded plugs. It sits right and rides nice. I am just curious if the PO replaced the old springs with the wrong ones or were they also worn out because with out air it was bottoming out in the driveway.

The old ones sound like stock springs to me.. The stockers use that insert as you describe so they are considerably shorter than Progressives. Seems like even stock springs had a progressively wound end on them (if I remember correctly).. I always run 3/4" of preload on my Progressives - its a little harder to get the caps started but I like the extra stance it gives the bike and the resistance to bottoming when I am trail riding.. I also run 12wt Belray for added stiffness and no air pressure.

Ooppppsss,, just realized you are talking MK2, I only know about MK1's - probably totally different forks... I well, think I will post this anyway just to :witch_brew:

That original spring is what's called "dual rate", tight windings on one end then a sudden transition to loose. It'll be soft until the tight coils bind then it'll suddenly become stiffer.

In a progressive spring the windings vary continuously along the spring. As individual coils bind the spring rate increases gradually rather than the sudden jump in the dual rate spring.

Picture of stock & progressive spring with hardware for each.

Stock is on bottom.

MKI's & MKII's look identical for these parts.

Gary

Now correct me if I'm wrong here but aren't you missing the white spacers in the picture with your progressives?

I could be incorrect but I think the white spacers are optional but I added like 3/4 inch spacers in on my 86

Ok cool! I was just wondering because I plan to leave my spacers out when I do my springs so I have an excuse to use my CLASS system.

Thanks for the quick reply

Does the length of the white spacer have an effect on the hight of the front end when the bike is completely unloaded, not even a driver?

With my old worn out springs the top of my windshield clears the door frame to my shed by less than 1/8 inch, if the front sits any higher with the progressives it will hit going thru the door. If there is an increase in height, can I slide the fork tubes up in the triple tree to get the door clearance back?

Does the length of the white spacer have an effect on the hight of the front end when the bike is completely unloaded, not even a driver?

With my old worn out springs the top of my windshield clears the door frame to my shed by less than 1/8 inch, if the front sits any higher with the progressives it will hit going thru the door. If there is an increase in height, can I slide the fork tubes up in the triple tree to get the door clearance back?

Time to get out the saws all and make a venture windshield shaped shaped door frame :)

Time to get out the saws all and make a venture windshield shaped shaped door frame :)

That has already been thought of.........

The shed is hled together with pan head screws. I already had to remove the center screw in the door frame for windshield clearance.

I believe the air collar circlips will preclude sliding the inner forks up in the triple tree.

I believe Prairiehammer is correct as I have a friend who tried lowering his venture to his preferred height and it was noted the air collar had to be removed to do this.

On another note if anyone wants the Progressive Suspension installation instructions I can supply them. I personally ran the spacers as I prefer a stiffer suspension and higher ride height.

I believe Prairiehammer is correct as I have a friend who tried lowering his venture to his preferred height and it was noted the air collar had to be removed to do this.

On another note if anyone wants the Progressive Suspension installation instructions I can supply them. I personally ran the spacers as I prefer a stiffer suspension and higher ride height.

If I run into any snags tomorrow can I call you? I much prefer learning over the phone!

I like to tease Gary but we are lucky to have him around here. Don't know how one man can keep so much motorcycle knowledge under his hat!! Must be really a mess in there....... Dingy?? I'm gonna shut up now before I make myself sick. :backinmyday:

Your embarrassing yourself Dan. Go back to your corner.

:doh:

Gary

• 2 weeks later...

I may have just stumbled on the reason my '85 (with Progressive fork springs) doesn't drag hard parts until I run out of rear tire tread; I included a 1" spacer when assembling the forks! The '92 drags the center stand simply turning into the neighborhood when riding double. I have to run 71lbs of air in the '92 rear shock and rarely more than 55lbs in the '85.

The old ones sound like stock springs to me.. The stockers use that insert as you describe so they are considerably shorter than Progressives. Seems like even stock springs had a progressively wound end on them (if I remember correctly).. I always run 3/4" of preload on my Progressives - its a little harder to get the caps started but I like the extra stance it gives the bike and the resistance to bottoming when I am trail riding.. I also run 12wt Belray for added stiffness and no air pressure.

Ooppppsss,, just realized you are talking MK2, I only know about MK1's - probably totally different forks... I well, think I will post this anyway just to :witch_brew:

C'mon, folks, am I the ONLY one who wants to see a vid of Puc "trail riding" on a Venture???

:7_6_3[1]::stickpoke:

no one mentioned you should be running less oil than OEM 400cc recommended because the NEW springs take up much more space. I found 360cc and 3/4" spacer makes the sag 2". Leaving 3.5 travel left. Be aware doing the oil by cc's added if usually wrong if you also changed the oil at the same time. Because of the spaces air can be trapped till the 1st ride. You need to use a "dip stick". to confirm both sides have the same amount. Motion Pro makes one to set the levels. I have the oil levels when on center stand approx. 15" from the top . All set and checked after doing a short ride. Putting too much oil in acts like a strong second spring.