IGNORED

Bike will not start while its in gear . With kickstand up and clutch in.

Is it normal for a 87' Venture not to start when the bike is in 1st gear.....kickstand up.....clutch pulled in. It went dead on me as I was starting off and would not crank until I put the bike in neutral. This was my first real ride on this bike or any Venture . I purchased it about 4 months ago and have been working on it. I didn't notice this till today.

I think I will start with the Kickstand switch. But I know the display shows a warning light and the kickstand symbol when it is down and it goes off when I raise it. So I would think the switch is working .But I will take a good look at it to see if the problem is with it.

I would start looking at the clutch switch. It is easy to clean the contacts and easier to get to.

Looking at the wiring diagram, unless I missed something, the side stand switch will not disable cranking, just turns off the ignition to kill the engine.

Yes it is at the lever.

There are 4 wires going into it as there are 2 seperate switches that are clutch activated. One is for the starter circuit and the other is for the cruise control.

My bike is still buried under snow so I can not get you a pic for a few weeks yet.

I will take a look at it. Thanks for your help. I will let everyone know what I find....... By the way Fool. From what Ive read I think your the major cause of the snow problem. If you would cut that stuff out you might be able to get to your bike.:snow:

I will take a look at it. Thanks for your help. I will let everyone know what I find....... By the way Fool. From what Ive read I think your the major cause of the snow problem. If you would cut that stuff out you might be able to get to your bike.:snow:

Do you believe anything you see on the internet........:confused24::rasberry::snow2:

Thanks Doug . If I find I need one I will get with you....... Where would I find the clutch switch ? Is it located on the lever? I would like to say I appreciate all the post and help with this.

Like flyin' said "Yes it is at the lever.There are 4 wires going into it as there are 2 separate switches that are clutch activated. One is for the starter circuit and the other is for the cruise control.

My bike is still buried under snow so I can not get you a pic for a few weeks yet."

I would be getting into the parts book, there you will find IPBs (Illustrated Parts Breakdown) or Exploded Views of the assemblies. This way you will learn the systems and where everything is. I'm still learning... I know there is the one on the clutch "LEVER" (or handle as you an i would call it) and there is one in the engine/transmission case and tough to get to. The switch I have is the side stand switch. If you've ruled that one out you know it's one of the others...The weather here is a balmy 60 so we have no snow and my bike is on the lift, plenty of guys here have pics though, Kevin and Dingy come to mind as the Picture Boys....

If you look in the 1st gen tech library, Dingy did a write up on how to clean all the switches that are cleanable complete with pictures. The clutch switch is cleanable...

Here's the link for those too lazy to look...

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/computer-lights-horns-other-electrical/42720-1986-1993-brake-clutch-electrical-switch-disassembly-cleaning.html

• 3 weeks later...