IGNORED

Blueridge Parkway Feedback

gr8hwfan

My wife was out with some women friends this weekend and mentioned we were planning a trip to travel the entire Blue Ridge Parkway. They immediately told her she would never enjoy it on a motorcycle because it's way too windy with constant twists and turns. They also mentioned to plan ahead for lodging because places were few and far between and when getting off to visit the small towns they were just a dot on the map with only a small store and possible gas station. Due to the fact that this will be a 7 day trip, I was hoping for some input from those of you who have experienced this ride. Whether negative or positive feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. Is it worth our valuable vacation time? I understand that this is a mountain region with twists and turns, but is it constant? I would like to be sure it is going to be enjoyable for my wife as well. Thanks for the input.

You can spend 4 or 5 days on the BRP, or cruise through it in 2. Easy enough to decide how you want to do it.

My wife's preference, if starting at mile post 0 and heading south would be to run to Boone (mm280) first day.

Then to Asheville for second day(mm390), then to Cherokee on third day. This would give lots(probably too much) time for stops and views.

My personal preference would be 0mm to Asheville for first day, not everyone wants to spend 10 hours solid on the BRP, but I don't like to stop, and second day finish it off at Cherokee.

I have found a pretty good resource for fuel stops, link here-->Gas Availability - Blue Ridge Parkway

It is a road with a million curves and pull offs every mile or three to enjoy the view. Where are you planning on entering the parkway, where do you plan on exiting? Where else in NC are you going, when are you doing this? Yes, I'm quite nosy, but we love the area plenty and plan some return trips there again this year too

I have spent many, many miles on the BRP and to me, my best description is it is my "Magic Carpet Ride". It is one of the most beautiful motorcycle rides in the country.

Not sure where you are from as you don't note your state, but I think it is Ohio. If so, your wife's friends are probably not used to mountain riding and it is different. As far as the BRP, yes it is curvy, but not real sharp, but more sweeping curves. The ones that are a little more curvy are well marked and many even have signs warning motorcycles, especially radius reducing curves.

As far as places to stay, I personally have never had any problem finding a place to stay, but time of year can have an impact. The fall leaf lookers tend to fill up more and to be honest, to me, that is not a good time to ride the BRP, especially on the weekends. Too many people not watching traffic, but leaves. There are places to stay on the parkway and most any of the local towns have motels, some a little quaint where you park your bike in front of your door. There are many wonderful places to eat and shop. There are also many things to see and one I suggest is the Biltmore House in Asheville, NC. Hopefully, that will impress your wife.

Keep in mind that the parkway goes up to over 6,000 feet and summer comes a little later than lower elevation. If you go in early June, you will be seeing the spring you saw a month or two earlier in Ohio. If there is any part of the parkway I suggest you want to put on the priority list is the part between Asheville and Cherokee, NC. It is the highest and most open. To me, some of the northern parkway is more like riding through a forest, but the southern part has much more visibility. As far as being windy, there have been very few times I have encountered any considerable wind. Usually in the summer it is just a cool summer breeze.

When it gets closer to your trip, let us know and maybe some of us can have some M & E's along the way. Another thing is if you pay attention, you may see parts of the parkway that were used in Forrest Gump, especially going up to Grandfather Mountain.

Randy

Edited by Venturous Randy

The BRP is the most beautiful ride you will ever experience on a bike in the south east. If you plan your trip you print out maps to look for lodging and site seeing at various milepost. Roads are usually in great shape and well groomed with speed limit at 35 to 45 MPH. I would also plan to ride on thru Skyline Drive to Front Royal VA. Then Return via Shannondoah Valley, Luray VA. and see the Caverns. After that easy to Hit I-81 you are running short on time SLD has about a 10.00 fee for 7 day pass no charge for BRP You will cross I-64 Where BPD ends and SLD Begins. There are many connections to major roads and towns with lodging along the way and a fair amount of campgrounds within daily travel. Plan 4 to 5 days of fun. If you have trouble finding BRP info PM me with your address if I find my book of The BRP I will send it to you. It has the BRP by Milepost most everything listed. Also I plan to go to my home in NC next weekend and I will get you more info if you need it. I have traveled this for many years and always enjoyed it . I have traveled this entire span in a 33' Motorhome 3 times and planning the entire trip this year on my Venture Camping Along the way. Have already ridden most if but want do entire trip.

100 percent in agreement with all that has been said - the BRP is an AWESOME ride!! Besides some of the most fantastic scenery, I have always found the folks in those towns along the way are some of the greatest people on earth! So much to see and sooo many great folks - YOU CANT BEAT IT!!

I will say though, WATCH YOUR SPEED!! Do not get caught up in the tail wind of other bike groups or following cars going over the 45 mph limit (less than that in some area's - some spots are posted 25). We had a large group of bikes go cruising past us one year, probably 60ish, and I had all I could do to hold Tweeks back. Thankfully I did cause the park service had them all stopped, I talked to them later and everyone got the big ticket. I later found out that because its a National Park - the fines can be considerably more then normal.. In Michigan 15 over is reckless driving, points and a hefty fine - I have heard of people going right to jail for the same 15 over violation on the BRP! The BRP is monitored very closely (I have seen it watched almost as closely as the Dragon) and it is NOT the place carve the twistys (if your into carving).

With that understood, if you ride the BRP to experience the scenery and enjoy just loafing with your best friend,, sucking up relaxing hours and taking in REAL southern hospitality and culture,, you folks are in for the time of your lives!!!

Tweeks, Tip and I wish you both the time of your lives on the BRP and both give it :thumbsup::thumbsup:

The first thing I would offer is for you to help your lovely wife choose a new group of friends.

AMEN..

The BRP is a very nice ride if you try to plan your vacation during nice weather...Hard to do if planning 7 days, but it can be done. I have rode this route three times in my life, twice in a cage and once on my bike, and never had a bad trip.

As far as motels and restaurants.. There is always an exit that you can get off of and go about 10 miles to a town to eat, sleep and fill up the cage or bike.

Click here to see the list of all the motels and restaurants...Then print it out and have your wife give it to her friends..

Lodging - Hotels, Motels & Lodges - Blue Ridge Parkway

Click here to see the available gas stations: Gas Availability - Blue Ridge Parkway

A little slip there Skid? Let's have a good get together on the BRP this year. It is nice to be retired.

Randy

Works for me Randy. I got a couple locals up here that is itching to run the parkway. We could plan a group ride

When you get to Spruce Pine NC exit the parkway onto NC 226A.Go down the mountain to Marion and then back up the mountain on NC 80.Both roads have a ton of twisties and both have a 2000 foot elevation change.Two of the greatest motorcycle rides in the USA.I am fortun

ate that I live 2 miles from NC 80 and 8 miles to NC226A.When you get to my area give a call and we can meet up.If you ride these two roads PLEASE obey the speed limit as some of these curves are deceiving and bad things can happen.

Riding up NC 80(The Devils Whip)

NC 226A (The Diamondback)nc 226a youtube - Bing Videos

Edited by 1rooster

7 days? In 7 days, twice I planned and led a group ride I called Appalachian Loops. I started in Front Royal, VA and ran the Skyline drive, then the entire BRP. Then spend time in the Smokys and ran the Tail of Dragon. We then rode up through central WV and ran some of those awesome roads. If this sounds like something you would be interested in, let me know and whether you use Garmin GPS files. I can send them to you.

The BPW is a nice ride if you like riding curves although it does straighten out more on the north end. My style is riding slow enough that I can enjoy the scenery with stops along the way. I spent two days on the parkway and am glad I did. Mt. Pisgah Inn is a good place to visit for scenery and I stayed one night at the Little Switzerland Inn in Little Switzerland which is neat with a nice restaurant next door. You can get a detailed map of the parkway free from the BPW headquarters by going on line and they will send you a packet of other interesting places as well. There are a ton of places to stay close to the parkway so I wouldn't worry about making reservations unless you know you are going to stay at a certain place, especially one of the Inns on the parkway. Close by the parkway I visited Grandfather Mountain and enjoyed that. I also got off a few miles to go to Shatley (sp?) Springs where I stayed in a nice cabin for $40. There is a really good restaurant there also. Expect some rain and thick fog when in the mountains which I experienced one day off and on. Hope you enjoy the ride and be safe.