IGNORED

07 Venture won't start - help please

chag67

I haven't had the bike out for a little over a week.

I went to get it out of the shed and when I went to start it, all I heard was rapid clicking. It didn't turn over at all. Headlight was on so I don't think it is a dead battery.

Any ideas???

I'm not completely stupid when it comes to engines but I'm close.

Help please.

The battery can just go bad overnight and continue to loose the power to start the bike just because.

Depends on how old it is.

I had to replace mine 2 year ago for the same reason and had to push start it on one of my rides.

I now keep it on the tender when not riding regularly.

If it keeps loosing cranking power replace it.

Hope this helps

Went out to check it. Lights are bright. Bike is in neutral. I turned the key and when I flipped the kill switch to on, I heard clicking without even pressing the start button. I pressed the start button and nothing. Could this still be the battery?

the clicking you hear before pressing the start button is the fuel pump filling the carbs.

I would think its a weak battery or loose or dirty battery posts. You could try by jumping it from your car (car always turned off so you don't fry the bike's electrics), if it starts your issue is probably the battery. I would have the battery tested when you go buy a new one, as there is a slim chance its your stator or regulator not charging your battery.

Brian

The clicking you hear maybe the fule pump, thats normal when you first turn the key on or when you put the kill switch to run,

I had to replace my battery last summer left on a ride and when we stopped it wouldnt crank over. Head light still worked just not enough power to crank the engine.

Check your battery connections to could be loose have had that happen before.

Even though its in neutral and normaly would crank, try starter with sidestand up and clutch pulled in, just in case the interlocks are not seeing the bike in neutral. If that works then you have more clues as to area to focus on.

You might first try jiggling key in ignition switch in case its failing.

Even though its in neutral and normaly would crank, try starter with sidestand up and clutch pulled in, just in case the interlocks are not seeing the bike in neutral. If that works then you have more clues as to area to focus on.

You might first try jiggling key in ignition switch in case its failing.

I like how this Neil guy thinks here,, sometimes ya just gotta tittle with these scoots,, fiddle with this - fiddle with that and sooner or later the little gremlin with his finger between a set of contacts somewhere will get his finger pinched and she will fire right up!! Has worked for me a number of times!!

Thanks. I did that. I normally start the bike with the stand up and the clutch engaged even if it's in neutral. After many hours on the charger, it tried to start. I think the battery has just had it. It is the original battery.

Usually if my battery is almost dead and I try a start I get the speedometer sweep after letting go of starter button.

I see in another thread you mentioned buying the bike in March 2013, so the age of the battery is unknown, correct?

I would test voltage at battery posts (not cables) while trying starter button, before condemning battery. I would hate to have you buy a new battery needlessly, and still have the problem.

Edited by Neil86

I figured battery after reading a bit. You can charge a battery up and it will read 12v, lights work and fuel pump etc. But if it has a bad plate in it (which is typicaly what happens with vibration) it shorts it out and wont carry the heavy load of starting. Glad you got it fix3d.