IGNORED

Replacing the Zumo 550

Midnight

We purchased our Zumo 550 in 2008 with XM radio. Its probably the best accessory we have when we are touring. We use JM plug in headsets. I also installed the Buddy Rich cable and mic mutes. Our intercom/phone/xm has worked flawlessly through our J &M headsets with this setup.

We have had 3 Zumo 550 refurbs throughout the years as the Zumo seems to act up every two years. The one we currently have will likely end up acting up soon given Zumo's track record. The refurbs are no longer offered. I read one thread on this site that talked about a place that will repair the 550 and will try it.

At some point though we are going to have to replace it. We will continue to use our plug in headsets as the venture has the intercom system. Most new bikes don't have the intercom so when and if we get a new bike we will likely go to Bluetooth headsets.

Models offered are Zumo 665 (has XM) and Zumo 590 (No XM definitely a down side). Has anyone replaced their zumo 550 with either the 665 or 590 models?

If so what are the pros and cons compared to the 550?

A couple of things that come to mind for me are:

Will the Buddy rich cable, Mic Mute setup and JM headsets work the same with either the 665 or 590?

Is the mounting system different and user friendly?

Any help is always appreciated.

JR

FWIW, I've started using my new LG 7.0 G4lte phablet that has built-in GPS, and installed a free app called "Nokia HERE" that has downloadable maps. It works very well away from any service areas. Got the idea from the link in Webbikeworld entitled "Using a Tablet as a Motorcycle GPS".

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Edited by Peder_y2k
spelling error

I replaced my Zumo with the 665. Someone needed it more than me while at a lunch stop. Insurance would not cover it as it was on the Garman mount which is quick disconnect.

Chuck, if you had that stolen zumo registered with Garmin I think you can report it as stolen, to garmin and next time someone tries to link it to garmin for an update they can turn it into a brick.