IGNORED

The Great VR Scavenger Hunt

DocO

Oh joy, I will try to get one of the signs as you come into Illinois.

"Welcome to Illinois, Land of Lincoln.

(insert recent Gov name) Governor (soon to be in prison)"

Or

" Illinois where we have more ex governors in prison than any other state!"

Somewhere there may still be a sign with Blago's name on it.:headache:

Okay ....

The next objective is a picture of You and Your Bike next to any "Welcome to "Insert State here" sign".

Some States simply have the State name on some kind of structure ... For example, the name "Oklahoma" on a carved granite slab as you cross the State Line ... That would be fine.

That acceptable?

Personal opinion, it's not something you can run across on a nice afternoon ride in the country. It's a ride the interstate to the edge of the State, stop on the interstate to take a picture. Just my :2cents:

Personal opinion, it's not something you can run across on a nice afternoon ride in the country. It's a ride the interstate to the edge of the State, stop on the interstate to take a picture. Just my :2cents:

Fair point.

The biggest State, discounting Alaska for the moment, is Texas. Assuming you lived right in the very center of Texas then the farthest you could get from a State Line is about 250 miles. I would guess that about 99% of the population live rather closer to a State Line than that.

How reasonable is it a condition, that everyone can get to every target posted in some undetermined time?

I mean, there must be a few VR riders who live further than that from a Horse and Rider statue. Besides ... even a four hundred mile ride is less than my wife and I might do on a regular day trip.

The last State sign I passed was nowhere near an Interstate.

I'm sorry that you don't feel comfortable with this one, but another target will be along in a few days :)

Maybe I missed the point of this game, but it seems to me that it should lead to an interesting ride for someone.

Edited by twigg

I did a target like this a few years ago, found a two lane crossing at the IL border just east of Beloit.

Of course Dyno Don might find his closest sign in the middle of a bridge over the Mississippi.:bang head:

Looking at your sig map, Bob, it's fair to say that you must have crossed a good number of State lines in your time. :)

Here is the last one I crossed ... Coming in to Oklahoma from New Mexico right up in the OK Panhandle. It's a quiet, two-lane with enough room to stop and have a leisurely lunch and probably not see another vehicle. Picture is a bit dark.

http://i1092.photobucket.com/albums/i418/twigg2324/April%20Fools%20Rall/DSCN0376.jpg

That was about two weeks ago.

Karl, You have a valid point, but not every target needs to be accessible by everyone. There have been some that were pretty much unique to warm states, some to those near an ocean, some dealing with snow, etc. Some were about pumpkin patches (I got one of those targets) and for sure not every state has a pumpkin patch.

Also, those state line signs are at almost every road crossing, not just the interstates. At least in my part of the country. yes, I will need to ride to the state line to get one, but that is part of the game, get out and ride. Of course if I lived in the middle of Texas, I might just sit this one out!

And sometimes the fun is to find a way to get the target within the rules in an unusual way. If this target isn't practical for you, wait a few days, there will be one you can get without a huge ride!

Sorry I wasn't trying to cause trouble. In Michigan I have only seen "welcome to State" signs hanging over the middle of major interstates. BUT I have really not ever looked for them anywhere else along the boarders. In fact as I think about it in Michiana, Michigan there is a road (Michiana Dr) that if you ride West you are riding in Michigan, but if you are riding East you are riding in Indiana. Should be some signs there. I guess I wasn't thinking adventurous enough. My Bad, I'm wrong. Please disregard my :2cents: worth from my previous post. :ignore:

Edited by KarlS

Sorry I wasn't trying to cause trouble. In Michigan I have only seen "welcome to State" signs hanging over the middle of major interstates. BUT I have really not ever looked for them anywhere else along the boarders. In fact as I think about it in Michiana, Michigan there is a road (Michiana Dr) that if you ride East you are riding in Michigan, but if you are riding West you are riding in Indiana. Should be some signs there. I guess I wasn't thinking adventurous enough. My Bad, I'm wrong. Please disregard my :2cents: worth from my previous post. :ignore:

I was not offended.

You made me think about what was a reasonable objective to set, and the discussion helps.

So thanks :)

Karl, Hope you didn't take my post as anything other than information. Your 1C is always good here! :cool10: That is an interesting road, similar to the north/south main street in my home town of Arthur, IL. It is divided in the middle to two different counties.

BEcause of that, Arthur has the county fair for BOTH counties, both having decided splitting the cost with a town in both counties was a good deal. It has worked for over a century I believe!

This is the farthest I rode to find the right target

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20503&page=67 post #992

Only had around 950 miles or so in on this one 30 miles from Playboys house when I found it.

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=20503&page=125 post #1871

It's all what you want to make of it guys. For us, it's usually a reason to get out on the back roads and look around at the scenery.

And I so enjoyed seeing Playboy's Karen (not my Karen) pointing out the "elevated mode of transportation" and the "hubcaps on buildings" as we rode together to the SE TX MD a couple weeks ago. :thumbsup2:

We've also hit many targets within 30 miles of home, just because they were there.:D

That's what it's all about folks. Enjoy the Ride, however you can.

Later, Scooter Bob

The current target is...

a picture of You and Your Bike next to any "Welcome to "Insert State here" sign". by TWIGG

Edited by Scooter Bob
added current target

Okay ....

The next objective is a picture of You and Your Bike next to any "Welcome to "Insert State here" sign".

Some States simply have the State name on some kind of structure ... For example, the name "Oklahoma" on a carved granite slab as you cross the State Line ... That would be fine.

That acceptable?

Went out for a ride and stumbled across this sign during our travels. The best wins are the ones that you happen upon by accident while out adventuring.

Cheers,

Dan

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/danzoom/welcometopa.jpg

Okay ....

That acceptable?

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/danzoom/state-sign.jpg

Went out for a ride and stumbled across this sign during our travels. The best wins are the ones that you happen upon by accident while out adventuring.

Cheers,

Dan

http://i1185.photobucket.com/albums/z351/danzoom/welcometopa.jpg

Nicely done ;)

You all are on your own for awhile, sold the 83VR today. Had to to get money right again. Like some others that had to sell theirs I'll get another bike in the future. A very good friend bought it and going to hang on to it for awhile in case I can end up buying it back by August. Have fun finding the targets.....Karl

Sorry to hear that Karl. :(

Maybe you can offer to take it home for a weekend to do a free oil change on it every other weekend. ;)

And score a target on the oil warming up ride,:scratchchin: or the oil leak checking ride.:confused24:

Later, Scooter Bob

PS, If I can think up the next target while at work today,:scratchchin: I should have that windmill afterwards.:D

Next target is; you, your bike and a windmill. Can be a real one, fake one, fancy mailbox, etc..by DanOh