IGNORED

General Consulting, not motorcycle related. Car related

calperin

I have a Sebring 2002 LXI that had the issue on the timing chain 2 years ago and make the engine to stop working.

Since I had health issues, I had never the money to decide between fix it or replace it for another one.

Today they ask me around 4800$ for the total replacement of the engine with 5 years warranty from Jasper, or I have as option a good deal on a Saturn Aura XR 2007 with 125000 miles for 5500$, and as far as I can see only some rust in the hood latch internally, that I was checking and it is a normal issue.

Did somebody has any experience with Jasper or Saturn that can help me to decide what to do?

Thanks in advance for any opinion about it.

calperin

My thought is a new engine, and you know what you have, but you are likely to start to have other issues, next transmission, electrical....

Another unknown vehicle with high mileage will also be in the same boat, and need another engine and other parts soon

Also suggest to check out vehicle pricing sites such as KBB or Edmonds. A quick look not knowing specifics shows 07 Saturn Aura worth about $3000.

Could also check around for cost to repair existing engine, likely less than replacement unless valve/head damage

:2cents:

Jasper engines have been around a long time and have a good reputation.

Another option is a low mileage used engine. This will be a lot less than the new Jasper.

AS mentioned, the car has sat for 2 years. expect many other things to go wrong quickly due to non use. Brakes, power steering, A/C, fuel pump, transmission, tires, and other things are all parts that do not like to sit unused.

it is impossible to know if $5500 is a good or bad price on the Saturn with out more info.

Flyinfool says....

"Jasper engines have been around a long time and have a good reputation"..... Not true for everyone... It took five (5) Mitsubishi Eclipse engines before we got one that worked. My sons car spent better part of a year in a dealership getting engines swapped....yes Jasper paid for all the labor but that didn't put wheels under my son for all that time. As soon as we got it out of the shop with a working engine we sold it. I believe our situation wasn't typical but unfortunately that is what our experience was !

Well Sebring is a 2002 Convertible LXI, Kelly Blue Book is 2600$ average in good running condition. So no big difference. Here the issue is if the Saturn Aura XR 2007 is worth for 5500$ that is between the 5265 to 7550$ that shows in KBB for that model with the mileage. Only thing I saw was the lid on the hood is rusted inside, and that seems to be a common issue on these models. New hood is around 130$ without paint it.

I bought a very nice 03 I35 Infiniti that I knew had a blown head gasket and due to how long it had sat like that, I did not try to repair the engine. I bought an another 3.5 Maxima engine with lower mileage for $800 and had it delivered to my house for $50 and kept the old engine for another $50. I swapped it out and it is a pleasure to drive and have already put 20,000 miles on it.

RandyA