IGNORED

99 cracked trunk

I bought my 2000 Venture last May.

The trunk had some fairly nice cracks in it

Some caused by the washers around the bolts other looked like to much weight on the rack may have caused that.

First thing I did was to drill a small holes at the ends of every crack to keep them from spreading

Second was to open the cracks and apply epoxy using a tooth pick then closed up the cracks so I can work with it and not make it worse

Third I ran a drill bit along each crack and filled it in with a thin layer of epoxy

For the larger cracks and cracks on a corners I used the metal mesh drywall patches cut into strips and set into the epoxy

On the underside of the trunk I cut a piece of sheet metal and attached it with some silicone caulk and 5 rivets just for some added strength

The epoxy worked for me. 20,000 miles later no new cracks and we use the trunk and rack regularly

I also used some of the plastic weld to fix a few broken pieces on the front of of the bike

That stuff works pretty good I found the epoxy easier to work with when repairing the trunk

You will want to avoid having to much weight on the trunk rack if you have one

Don't let it trunk lid slam down with the added with the added weight that will just lead to damage over time

I may have some pictures on my tablet at home if so I can post them later

I bought my 2000 Venture last May.

The trunk had some fairly nice cracks in it

Some caused by the washers around the bolts other looked like to much weight on the rack may have caused that.

First thing I did was to drill a small holes at the Ness of every crack to keep them from spreading

Second was to open the cracks and apply epoxy using a tooth pick then closed up the cracks so I can work with it and not make it worse

Third I ran a drill bit along each crack and filled it in with a thin layer of epoxy

For the larger cracks and cracks on a corners I used the metal mesh drywall patches cut into strips and set into the epoxy

On the underside of the trunk I cut a piece of sheet metal and attached it with some silicone caulk and 5 rivets just for some added strength

The epoxy worked for me. 20,000 miles later no new cracks and we use the trunk and rack regularly

I also used some of the plastic weld to fix a few broken pieces on the front of of the bike

That stuff works pretty good I found the epoxy easier to work with when repairing the trunk

You will want to avoid having to much weight on the trunk rack if you have one

Don't let it trunk lid slam down with the added with the added weight that will just lead to damage over time

I may have some pictures on my tablet at home if so I can post them later

I now have my plan of attack. Thank you sir

What I find that works really well is to fill a small plastic water bottle about 1/2 full with acetone. Than I took about4 inches of ABS 2inch diameter pipe and cut it into small pieces and put them in the bottle. Than wait a few days for the ABS chunks to dissolve. I than dip my screwdriver in the bottle and drip the solution into the crack I'm repairing. It takes a few coats applied over time as the acetone evaporates off. BUT be carefull if u apply to much at a time it can melt right through. I have repaired broken tabs on fairing quite successfully and a side cover on my wife's 250 rebel.

Last year I discovered my 99 RSV trunk was cracked. It had never had the service bulletin fix from Yamaha completed. I went to a Yamaha dealer who took my VIN and photos and called Yamaha. Yamaha wasn't going to fix it. Dealer told me to call Yamaha personally and see if that would help. Yamaha sent me a new trunk base free of charge.

I've been using a product for years called Weld On IPS 2354 that works miracles when dealing with ABS plastics. It really shines when dealing with spider cracking and the cracks are tight. You don't have to do a thing to the crack. Just apply a drop of 2354 to one end of the crack and it'll wick to the other. What it does is chemically weld the pieces together. The crack will be stronger than original. I've even used it with a similar product by the same company, Weld-on 16. I use the 16 along with a glass mat in a high stress area. or alone to fill a void. Ther are a lot of products that are good and a lot of members swear by them, but I think this stuff it the best.

http://www.eplastics.com/ABS-Glue

• 2 weeks later...
Last year I discovered my 99 RSV trunk was cracked. It had never had the service bulletin fix from Yamaha completed. I went to a Yamaha dealer who took my VIN and photos and called Yamaha. Yamaha wasn't going to fix it. Dealer told me to call Yamaha personally and see if that would help. Yamaha sent me a new trunk base free of charge.

Can you please share that Yamaha number, I would like to add one of these to my '99. Or if anyone has a print of this plate i can just make one.

I got the number from my Yamaha dealer. I never used the new trunk base and gave it to turtle last Sat when he picked up the 99 RSV I sold him. I had a body shop repair the cracks in my original trunk. Before I remounted it I cut a piece of 1/4 plexiglass the shape of the trunk base and siliconed it to the base. This gave the trunk a solid base to set on instead of just 4 pressure points. I also used the rubber insulators between the brackets and the plexiglass to absorb vibrations. It has held up well with no new cracks.

Chaharley

If you haven't fixed your cracked trunk yet. I used epoxy and fiberglass cloth together (on the inside) on mine and a friends trunk.

Spread epoxy around the crack, lay down the cloth and then more epoxy to saturate the cloth.

Solid fix for sure.

• 2 months later...

Straight MEK (methyl-ethyl-ketone) from the hardware store at $10 for a quart is what I've used, and an ideal applicator tool is a clean inkjet cartridge refill bottle with the needle tip. Mind you, I've got a full quart left with about 5 drops removed. At that rate, it should last me a lifetime of ABS plastic bikes. The MEK works fast so one must finalize the set quickly. Joints are as strong as original material.

-Pete, in Tacoma WA USA

Motiv, I used a piece of cardboard to make a pattern from the bottom of my trunk. Then I cut it from a 1/4" piece of plexiglass and siliconed it to the bottom of the trunk. Now the trunk sits on the plexiglass instead of on the four attachment points. My number is in my profile if I can be of any assistance.

Motiv, I used a piece of cardboard to make a pattern from the bottom of my trunk. Then I cut it from a 1/4" piece of plexiglass and siliconed it to the bottom of the trunk. Now the trunk sits on the plexiglass instead of on the four attachment points. My number is in my profile if I can be of any assistance.

Maybe you could make a write up and if @Freebird likes it maybe he'll put it in the read only section so itll be easy to find by anyone!!!