IGNORED

Zumo 660lm GPS

Ron2006

I bought one of these for my Venture this summer and love it. I like that I can put all my mp3’s on this device and get step by step instructions as well while going down the road. It is glove friendly and easy to take off the bike and lock up when not being used. Well I decided I was going to take it a step further and get a cord so I can have live update traffic as well. That was not so easy. In my installation instructions for the 660LM it says I just got to buy a receiver antenna and all will be well so I order what I thought was the right receiver and it was one that you use in your vehicle. No problem, it’s nice, it works so I kept it. Then I called Gamin and said what part number I buy to use for my motorcycle mount. They told me you can’t use Traffic tracking on the zumo 660 only the 665. After taking this rep to many sites which says it will do traffic he said “yes it will only from your vehicle”. I asked for him to show me where it says it won’t work from the motorcycle mount when the instructions clearly shows the place to plug in the antenna on the motorcycle in the 660lm instructions. He did not have an answer he just wanted me to return my device and upgrade to the zumo 665. I said what part number do I use when I buy an antenna for the 665. He said you just use the XM radio. So I said the usb port then is basically useless like the rep I was talking to. I hung up after about an hour dealing with this guy. So after all that does anyone have a Zumo 660lm that has successfully added a traffic antenna that works. I did see someone say that the GTM 12 receiver does work but I found they are expensive and discontinued. Any help will be appreciated....

WOW thats a pricey unit. But anyways, I was reading on the Garmin site it says it does do traffic. My Nuvi 765t has traffic, but you have to use a specific cable. Mine is kind of a flat multi pin outfit. Well one of the tabs that allows it to disconnect broke so it is hard to get it out now. I just went to a mini-usb charge plug made for it. The cord does not have the antenna for the traffic. My experience the traffic thing is pretty much useless. Only certain cities even broadcast the information. then you have to be familiar with the road system most of the time to get around accidents anyways. For traffic you need a cord like this. the fat black thing is the antenna for traffic. cf-lg.jpg

Yes, I have one of those but it is for the vehicle mount. It works nice. I was trying to find one for the motorcycle mount. It is different, it uses a usb connector however thanks for trying. By the way that is a nice looking Venture you got there.

Mine worked when in the Ram mount. But its a real PIA to connect and disconnect. I dont belive the mini usb cables are traffic able. What I mean is the flat cable like pic has something like 15 pins. In these pins are the antenna stuff. The usb cable does not have sufficient pins to transfer the data needed. I would be suprised Garmin would make the GPS and have traffic on it if you could not use it on the bike, especially for that kind of money. Have you been on some of the GPS forums and asked about this unit. Them guys are way more verse on these things.

Thanks for the suggestions. What was most frustrating is that the Garmin installation instructions actually has a picture of where to plug this USB traffic receiver antenna on the motorcycle mount even though its not available. You think Garmin could have added (Traffic not available for MC mount on the unit) even though the zumo was made for motorcycle riders. If you decide purchase this model it does not do traffic while on your motorcycle is what Garmin says other than that it is a nice unit.

For the Zumo 660... the usb connection beside the battery (under cover) is used to upgrade maps/firmware and copy music/routes to the gps.

From the Zumo site... you need a traffic subscription and the "GA 25MCX Remote GPS Antenna (Low Profile)" cable. On Amazon it is $20. Using the motorcycle mount (RamMount), the connection on the gps is on the left side under the rubber flap. Easily accessible.

http://static.garmincdn.com/pumac/zumo_660_OM_EN.pdf page 5

Look thru the gps section here at some of the threads. There are a couple on the traffic thing. Like I mentioned previously, to me its more of a gimick than a useful thing. On a 675 mile trip from where I am in center of Fla to north side of Charlotte it only picked up in a couple places. Orlando, jacksonville I think and Charlotte. Not positive on Jacksonville. Then heading south from Cincinatti back to Fla maybe 5 cities if that. So for me its not a big selling point.

Don that is an antenna for a better GPS connection, If you look on page 7 you will see the mount on the left that I have on my bike and it says a mini usb connector for traffic receiver which I can’t find. But thanks for looking.

Took another look at it. You are right, the antenna I originally mentioned isn't the right one.

The one you do need is the GTM 20 ($120). From the manuals... the GTM 20 connects to the power connector on the GPS.

When using the automobile mount, the GTM 20 connects to the side of the mount.

For motorcycle use, the cable that is attached to the mount has a connector for the GTM 20. Looks like status lights are on the part that plugs into an accessory power (cigarette lighter) but you could probably wire one inside the fairing as long as you don't mind not seeing the lights.

• 2 weeks later...

Yea sometimes there is a limits as to how much and what definition card will be recognized. Like a digital camera we have will only accept or recognize I think its a 32gb card in up to HD format. It will not see the SHD or whatever the newer card is.

Yea sometimes there is a limits as to how much and what definition card will be recognized. Like a digital camera we have will only accept or recognize I think its a 32gb card in up to HD format. It will not see the SHD or whatever the newer card is.

Yeah, I was concerned about that. I didn't stop and think when I posted it that I only need 4 gig. Assuming I can find a card that small.......

Not sure and would have to check, but I think I have a 16gb card in my 765T.

I have a 16GB in my 765T and it works fine. Now the traffic function, I find it's pretty much useless unless you are in an urban area that has the broadcast, even then it's not always current or helpful.

Now the traffic function, I find it's pretty much useless unless you are in an urban area that has the broadcast, even then it's not always current or helpful.

My current GPS (Navigon) came with life time traffic. It usually knows about major, long term construction projects. It's never had any information related to small short term projects, accidents or congestion. I suspect they all use the same service. No way I'd shell out $$ for a subscription to it.