IGNORED

New to site, looking for help

Hello to all from Wisconsin,

Brand new to this site, but not to Yamaha's (have resurrected two XJ's within the past couple of years) Looking for some help navigating this site.

Have been a member over at XJBikes.com for quite some time and have gained much knowledge...one thing I've learned, is that there are usually a handful of members who's advice is always spot on, these are the guys who's post you make sure you listen to...with my apology's to anyone who doesn't make "the list"....Who are the site's maintenance Guru's? Where do you guys go for parts? Where is the best place to pick up a Factory Service Manual?

Should be taking ownership later today on a "new to me" 1984 XVZ12DL-R...figured this out using a VIN decoder (JYA41V001EZxxxxxx)...as it sits, it has 8500 miles on it (yes 8500!) has no title and hasn't run in who know how many years...bike looks to have been stored indoors most of it's life with good paint and little to no rust or oxidation.

Job #1 (at least IMHO) is to get compression numbers (what are acceptable #'s?)....if these check out I'll start on a complete recommission...all new fluids, filters, plugs, seals, valve clearance, carb rebuild & sync, tires, brakes....the full McGilla.

Unless something goes horribly wrong...hopefully you'll be hearing from me a lot...bear with my newbie questions (especially the one that have been asked and answered a million times)...thanks!

Pat

First off welcome to this site. If you get the bike the $12 membership here is the best money you will spend on this bike.

It sounds like you might just be in my backyard. I am close enough to be able to check tire pressures on the jets as they are coming in to land at MKE.

The manuals are available in PDF on this site.

This site is different than most. While we do have a lot of wise guys and hot air, (that is a big part of the fun here) when it comes to getting your question answered there is rarely bad info given by anyone one here.

Different folks are better at different aspects of these bikes and will help where they can. the others that have no clue on an issue generally will say nothing. There are a lot of people with a lot of knowledge here. It is impossible to make a list.

I felt like you do when I came here back in 2007 starting to revive a '84 Venture I had purchased after being stored for 9 years and partially torn down. I had a project ahead of me.

The questions were the same. Where, what and who. It turns out the site is like the Field of Dreams. You build it, and they will come. After reading many of the posts already made and the tech section and asking a few questions I received many answers from members that were extremely helpful. Back then the site was a freebie operating only on donations. When the issue was brought up that there was going to be a need for a small fee to maintain the site for the future I ponied up the $12.00 and am still doing it yet in '14. Best investment ever made for the return.

Gained much needed information on the bike, and other models, a place to share info with others of common interests and still enjoying the same bike I brought home as project in '06. It's my daily rider and enjoying many upgrades, improvements and modification dreamed up, created and produced by members here.

Hang around. I'm sure you'll feel the same way before long.

:2BLUE:

Ok, so I took delivery today....here she is, the newest member of my stable:

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz131/Patmac6075/Venture1014002.jpg

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz131/Patmac6075/Venture1014001.jpg

http://s821.photobucket.com/user/Patmac6075/media/Venture1014006.jpg.html

I do have one question....should anything be plugged in here?

http://i821.photobucket.com/albums/zz131/Patmac6075/0c79e913-223b-4cdb-8eeb-13070dd8b7ca.jpg

If you've resurrected a couple XJs you shouldn't have any problems. Process is pretty much the same. Major differences are you have to remove a bunch of plastic to get to anything and the electrical is quite a bit more complicated.

The down draft Mikunis are a bit different than you've seen, but the principles are the same.

Flyinfool is one of the people you seek. Find out what kind of beer he drinks..............

Guest tx2sturgis

Ya'll should coach him on the 2nd gear gremlin...if it applies to his model.

Nothing like having to split the cases on a newly acquired bike....

:stickpoke:

Ya'll should coach him on the 2nd gear gremlin...if it applies to his model.

Nothing like having to split the cases on a newly acquired bike....

:stickpoke:

I'm familiar with the 2nd gear bug...I have no interest in splitting the case, if the runs and ride well....I'd learn to live with first to third shifts..

have some new questions

1. Is there a tutorial on taking the "plastics" off? Want to strip everything down to just the hard parts, to gain better acces.

2. How do you remove the seat? I downloaded the FSM but it doesn't show this simple procedure?

3. Is there a fuel petcock?

Thanks in advance

1. Not that I have seen.

2. There are 2 bolts below the passenger seat behind the side bags.

3. Yes. It is on the right side of the bike down by the passenger foot rest. It is very hard to turn, you will need a wrench or pliers and there is a good chance of breaking the plastic. Everyone just sets it on reserve and forgets about it. The gas gauge shows empty at the time you would be hitting reserve. So when the gauge shows empty you have about 1 gallon left.

To remove the fairing you have to remove everything ahead of the bags first. The good news is you don't have to remove the actual fairing for most service.

The real tricky part is remembering where all the parts and fasteners go during reassembly.

Some of the steps to remove the fairing halves:

+ Remove false fuel tank cover (screw under fill door, then slide forward).

+ Remove side covers (there is a rubber strap at the bottom, just behind rear cylinders, then they pull off.

+ Remove fairing top panels.

+ Remove front combination lamps.

+ Remove chromed strip below windshield (2 Phillips screws).

+ Remove windshield (4 screws).

+ Remove scoop under headlight.

+ Remove headlight (don't know how on MK1.....)

+ Remove trim panels along side radiator.

+ Remove lower fairing legs.

+ Remove mirrors.

There are only a couple screws left to finish removing the fairing halves.:doh:

I'm sure I missed a few things....:confused24:

I haven't removed the front cowling completely yet but most things are pretty intuitive.

There isn't much the front cowling needs to come off for.

One key is that if your model has a nose-piece it comes off before you can take off side front "lower" pieces. It looks like you're missing the fake tank cover as well as the radio and amp head unit section. You could cover that area with some thicker ABS and mount a car stereo or PRV175 wired directly to the speakers. The rear of the fake tank cover slips under the front of the seat and has a tab near the handlebars that fits into a grommet in the top of the frame. It's fastened with a single screw under the gas filler door. It should come off before removing side covers. The long side covers have "pins" that fit into grommets along the top side and it's held in place by large rubber bands at the bottom. With these off one can see the screws holding the front lowers on in back and other screws for the lowers under lower nosepiece. On your '84 the bags are a snap, I think the key unlocks some fasteners to remove them.

The fairing is actually not as difficult as it seems and there are no hidden secrets. Take your time and and carefully look at everything as you go. If your as handy as I get the impression you are your own logic and a good eye will guide you. Start by taking off the obvious parts first. It practically comes off in layers.