IGNORED

First time I towed the RSV have a ??

ENG2242

I hope this was ok, as it held fine. Strictly for the front, I place the hook strap as close to the tree,however, it was hooked on the handle bars. Ratched down about 1.5 inches and off we went. No problems. So, is connecting to the lower handle bar not a good idea? If not where. People were saying in previous posts, they use the upper fork, how?? Thanks David.

I hope this was ok, as it held fine. Strictly for the front, I place the hook strap as close to the tree,however, it was hooked on the handle bars. Ratched down about 1.5 inches and off we went. No problems. So, is connecting to the lower handle bar not a good idea? If not where. People were saying in previous posts, they use the upper fork, how?? Thanks David.

When I trailer my 02 RSMV (only twice), I use the handlebars and the rear crash bars as tie points.

:farmer:

Trailering an RSV????? Blasphemy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's a little tight but I put the straps over the bottom brace of the triple tree and ratchet them tight enough to pull the forks down about half way. Not worried about bending anything and stays solid. Use the rear crash bars to stabilize the back end from bouncing around.

Yes trailering an RSV is sacrilegious BUT if she is dead (bad regulator and stranded on the hwy miles from home) you sometimes just want to get her home to get her fixed..

If you see my bike on a trailer, call the police. It's being stolen. :stickpoke:

Wrap a couple of soft straps around the lower triple tree at the front. Bag rails on the back (or trailer hitch if you have one). If you don't have a wheel chock, nail a 2x4 on each side of the front wheel.

RR

I have trailered my 05 many times. I cut a clothes hanger down to about 12" and bent a hook in one end. I can't think of the name but there is a tie down piece about 12" that you can buy and I run it through the inside of the triple tree and I hook my tie down strap to this piece. There is absolutely no need to tie down the rear end. It isn't going anywhere.

I have trailered my 05 many times. I cut a clothes hanger down to about 12" and bent a hook in one end. I can't think of the name but there is a tie down piece about 12" that you can buy and I run it through the inside of the triple tree and I hook my tie down strap to this piece. There is absolutely no need to tie down the rear end. It isn't going anywhere.

The straps you refer to are called "soft ties". and some tie down straps now come with them built in.

When I trailer I usually tie the rear down. You are right it probably isn't going anywhere but I have hit a chuck hole or bump a time or two that did move it over a bit, so now I tie down.

When trailering my RSV's I don't get carried away with strap placement any longer. I picked up one of these from Harbor Freight http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-standwheel-chock-61670.html and permanently mounted it to the floor of the trailer. It keeps the bike upright. Ride on to it and get off. No screwing around, no side stand. I use one long strap from right above the front fender to the trailer rail, do a tug boat hitch on the rail, and then run it back to the saddle bag crash guard, do another tug boat on the guard, and then over to the trailer top rail again with a third tug... Takes a matter of a few minutes to do both sides. The bike rides without compression to any of the shocks, and the bike rides rock solid.... I've trailered both 1st and 2ndGens over the years, and that HF ride on chock is the best thing since sliced bread.... It's a steel copy of the 'Condor Chock' (no relation) at about a 5th of the price... :thumbsup2:

Will that stand hold up my RSV securely upright even if it's not bolted to anything? Like to change the oil and such?

Yes it will. I did use it when installing a Voyager trike kit free standing, but when I tried to take the bike off, it slid along with the scoot. So I'd suggest mounting it to half a sheet of plywood. That way you can plant your feet and pull, and the chock will stay put... The RSV front tire doesn't sit all the way down into the 'valley', but it is solid. Actually it pro'bly would be harder to back off if it was lower...??

• 3 weeks later...

I recently towed my '05 RSV 3,333 miles to Maine from Oregon in a rented U-haul trailer with the V-shaped nose made to tow a bike. It had 8 d-rings mounted inside the trailer.

I had no issue strapping/towing the bike. It made the trip just fine.

However, upon arrival and starting to ride back home to Oregon (4,136 miles), I had "violent" shaking/wobbling of the front wheel in the 25-45 mph range. It was so bad, I had to GRIP the handle bar very firmly to remain in control. I figured the tire might be a little misshapened after 6 days strapped to a trailer, but not as extreme as it was. After about 500 miles, the wobble was down to the 30-35mph range, and after 1,000 miles it was hardly noticeable, but still there. I stopped at a dealer in the northeast on the way home, and the mechanic could not find anything out of the ordinary, and we both agreed it was the 6 day trailer trip that probably caused it.

The majority of the 9 day trip home was at freeway speeds with NO wobble detectable at all. After the 4,100+ mile ride back to Oregon, the wobble is ever so slightly present, again only in a very narrow range of speed (30-35mph).

Has the tire been permanently misshaped? I looked for a missing wheel weight, but can't find a spot that appears to be missing one. Any other suggestions? I figure another set of tires in the spring will hopefully cure the issue. It was NOT an issue prior to hauling the bike to Maine in late September. The tires are AVON Venoms w/about 9,000 miles on them. Though I've read some negatives about them, I am very happy with them, even on the rainy roads/freeways I had to negotiate. They were new and on the bike when I purchased it.

Has anyone had a similar experience?

Thanks!

John

It's a little tight but I put the straps over the bottom brace of the triple tree and ratchet them tight enough to pull the forks down about half way. Not worried about bending anything and stays solid. Use the rear crash bars to stabilize the back end from bouncing around.

Yes trailering an RSV is sacrilegious BUT if she is dead (bad regulator and stranded on the hwy miles from home) you sometimes just want to get her home to get her fixed..

:sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that::sign yeah that:

For added stability on long runs or bad roads, I remove seat and attach a couple of tie downs to the frame under the seat.

:canada: