IGNORED

Anybody got some "touring ideas"?

Semi-retired

Well, if the Second Gen is anything like the First Gen, you will probably experience oil puked into the air filter plenum at that oil level.

Just untwist the oil filter and let some dribble out until the oil is at the middle of the sight glass when the bike is vertical. Have Jackie get on the ground and observe while you hold the bike vertical. It will be good practice for her! :rotf:

Well, if the Second Gen is anything like the First Gen, you will probably experience oil puked into the air filter plenum at that oil level.

Just untwist the oil filter and let some dribble out until the oil is at the middle of the sight glass when the bike is vertical. Have Jackie get on the ground and observe while you hold the bike vertical. It will be good practice for her! :rotf:

For your OWN health and safety, Kevin,..........I won't show her this post!!

I KNEW you were gonna make me pull something off the bottom of that beast. (That's the BIKE I'm talkin about!)

Thanks, bud.

From experience: Yes - it is worth it to drain it down a little. I used to fill mine to the mid point in the window and it makes a mess in the air intake. Oil will seep out, usually on the left side, down the sides of the carbs. To clean you have to pull the tanks and the plastic air runners on top of the carbs.

We took a week and rode over to Bar Harbor ME. with a stop in NH to ride up Mt. Washington Had a great time. Only rode a couple hundred miles a day. Spent 2 days In bar Harbor. Rode up Cadillac Mountain and took a boat ride on a Lobster boat to see the harbor seals and lighthouse. Also a show and tell on Lobster fishing. Not cheap in the new England states, food and rooms are expensive. If you stay a couple miles out side of town there are several nice little motels that are reasonable. Prices are much lower after labor day and most all had vacancy's. If you go there and ride up Cadillac Mt. don't stop at the visitor's station and pay for a park pass. just head straight up the mountain. If you want to tour the National Park then you need a pass. it looks like pretty good weather in New England next week. Enjoy your ride, where ever you go.

We like to go to the many Caves that seem to be through the Appalachian MTS. The ones around West Virginia, Virgina are all quite interesting. Most cave tours are not more than a hour or so long. We rode a back road in West Virginia once that was just as twisty as any we ever rode out west in the Rockies. Since your staying off the slabs the ride through West Virginia - Virginia alone is worth it. Now you've done it. I'm starting to reminisce. I gotta quit dreaming, too many grapes to pick. Wherever you decide to go. go slow and enjoy.:D

Just changed the oil in old Betsy for our upcoming trip (tomorrow!!)

Any harm in having that oil-check window filled completely when the bike is standing upright?

I thought it took just slightly MORE than a gallon......but, between US and Imperial.....maybe I got mixed up.

I COULD pull the drain plug, but is it worth it to offload 3 or 4 ounces?

(To answer the probable question.......YES, I did fire it up to fill the new filter, and I'm still at the top of the window......but, JUST.)

Thoughts?

Stick a hunk of gas line in through the filler hole, put a syringe (tapered end used for farm animals available at ag stores) on the gas line and suck some out..:stirthepot: You can also use just suck it out with your mouth like but it tastes icky if ya suck to hard:rotf:

Southeast Pennsylvania is another great area to explore with the Pocono mountains, Philadelphia area, and PA Dutch country to name a few. You might want to consider the New England states as well...

Robert, you are SO right about SE Pennsylvania... Rode down from Kittanning today... Down to Front Royal, here in Virginia. Just LOVED the ride down. Some fantastic roads with bendy, twisty, uppy-downies on hwy 56. And 30! Remarkable! Like Isle of Man for "commoners"! :322:

Really looking forward to riding Skyline Drive tomorrow!

(Thanks, Ken...I think that was your idea!)

Skyline Drive is a bit of a haul from your place but, this is a unique ride that wont soon be forgotten. I live just a few miles from the northern entrance and have been up there LOTS of times.:12101:

Hey Ken,

Made it to Front Royal... Stayed three days!

Loved everything about the Skyline EXCEPT the pair of $75 tickets we got for passing the horse trailer on the double yellow.

He was doing 15 in a 35 zone... We could see for 500 yards of open road... And had zero to 60 capability of 4 seconds. Guess Ranger Yount just didn't like the fact that we were on bikes enjoying our ride.... and he was in a cage, hating his. 😊

Anybody have any experience fighting that one?

Hi Semi(s):

Apologies for unfortunately raining on the awesome run (deep-seated envy here!), but you probably should begin keeping an eye on the weather back home.

Following a ten day stretch of incredibly sunny and warm days, things go in the pooper this Saturday. After that - no highs above 50F; every low will be down around 40F.

Making things more miserable, most of the 14 day forecast mentions RAIN!!

Can't remember your final destination, but if home is the end run, turn it around - SOON.

Thanks for a wonderful string, we've enjoyed every minute of it.

Rgds, WRIDR in beautiful Prince Edward County.