IGNORED

Close one today

djh3

I had to go over to the VA in St Pete today for an appointment. Its about 85 miles one way. On the way back I took some of the back roads I ride from Brandon (I took the long way home) One one of the backroads 3 miles or so from home the bike felt squirmy. I know from past the road is a little uneven through there. but it seemed to continue to long. I stopped and looked at the front tire it was up. Looked at rear and it was low. Well I'll be @#$. Small shop a few yards away where they service sod equipment. I pulled in there and borrowed a small air comp and aired it up to roll it to find the leak. Appeared to be a cut about 3/4 maybe. Had plugs so I plugged it and called wife just so she could follow me home. Bums me out, the tire only has maybe 2kon it. Now I need to dismount and patch it. I think the plug has a small leak as the pressure was a little lower than when I filled it when I checked it prior to leaving the shop there. But all is good got home safe. Only to find a radiator hose leak on the wifes car pushing coolant when we got home. Supposed to leave in am for the Keys too.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune DJ, like already mentioned, THANKFULLY you caught it quickly and avoided having a flat!!

I KNOW we all just had this discussion about plugging/patching tires on our bikes and most folks have no problem running repaired tires (I do) but I gotta say,, if that puppy is actually cut 3/4 of an inch I would replace it.. Thats a LOT of hole my friend!! IMHO of course...

Regardless of all that,, HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT TRIP TO THE KEYS!!!

Puc

Well good thing we didnt plan this trip with the bike anyways. The tread close to top best I can discribe looks to have the cut. but once you get down to the carcass it must be less because I made a repair and got it home. Its going to sit right now and in a week or so I guess I will dismount it and check it out closer. If its no bigger than what I think it is in carcass I'll Probably patch it from the inside.If it looks to bu compromised I guess I'll be buying another new tire. I'm just glad its not $140 Michelin C2.

By the way any ideas on how to get the balance beads out and save them? I thought maybe a rag over the vacuum hose and see if I can trap them.

Well took tire apart today. not only did I have the hole I knew about there was a drywall screw about 8 inch from that hole. Patched them both. got tire inflated and the original hole is sliced in fct about 3/4" but couldn't really tell until I pulled the plug out, fixed and inflated. And its dang near dead center. So every time our on the gas its going to try to rip the split even more it looks like. So..... So much for that brand new tire with 1475 miles on it. If it would have been a $160 Michelin I would be really torqued. Pitiful I have to junk a brand new tire. If I would have just left the plug in I woulndt have even known.

Yea I guess the man upstairs is still looking out for me. I just ordered up a new rear and a front. Original plan when I put the rear on was to finish up this year on the front and change next year. But being as the rear picked up 2 screws I figured I better inspect the front. Its not down to the wear bars yeat, but not terribly far either. like maybe a 32nd or so.

Have a trip to mountains planned with the wife in Oct and I dont want to have to change a day or two before we leave and I dont think it would be up to par at the time of trip. So I guess here again better to error on caution side. Ordered up 2 Shinko Tourmaster 230's. Thats what I had just put on the rear 1400 miles ago. I in no way think it was a tire fault it got a 3/4" cut. No matter what tire it would have been a goner, only more expensive to replace. So now I wait on parts. :whistling:

I know that "squirmy" feeling from the past. Almost stopped to check just yesterday riding through the Finger Lakes area but in my case, it was just uneven road with ridges and troughs. Good thing you knew enough to stop and check, and had repair stuff for your temporary fix. I'm wondering if the Roll On stuff for tire balancing would also stop leaks through a puncture. Thinking of using that for my next tire change. If it would, it makes me think that regular tire inspections would be even more important.