IGNORED

Sheild More Or Less?

Guest msegelle

Guest msegelle

:confused24:Fellow VR riders who has a short winsheild out there that can tell me how they like it or not?

I bought an 06 VR a few months back and want to go with a shorter windsheild but I am concerned about how a short winsheild will effect my wife who rides with me from time to time.

You know the saying if momma's not have nobodys happy and beleive me I want her happy so any feed back is greaty appreciated.

Mark

Many variables there! How big are you vs how small is she is one of them. When I bought my '84 it had a cut down shield and mama didn't like the wind, so I switched to a taller shield and bought her a full lace helmet. Problem 1 fixed.

Problem 2 was fixed with the addition of pasenger floorboards. Problem 3 was fixed by changing the angle of the backrest by putting spacers under the rear trunk mount. Adding armrests was a bonus for her...

I used a Show Chrome short / wide shield on my '03 RSV and loved it. I didn't care for looking through the high stock shield. Got my wife a snap on face shield for her 3/4 helmet and she never complained.

I also had a Yamaha short shield but it was also the same width as the original. It was fine but in the cooler weather I though the Show Chrome extra width helped to keep some of the wind off my hands.

It's somewhat of a crap shoot as I have had a short shield on my bikes. Wife didn't like the buffeting that she got, so I went with a taller wider one and she was happy. I suppose it all depends on how and how long you ride. We do a lot of long distance rides, with a lot of intersatate speeds. Basically your just going to have to put one on and find out if momma can live with it. I would suggest that even if you go shorter that you go with a wider model as that will help with the buffeting on your passenger.

I went with a shorter shield that I could look over. Did not like the buffetting that I got. I bought a clearview that is the same height as the stock RSV shield but wider. I love it. Yes you do look thru the shield, or I do anyway, (short person here) but it is shaped different than the stock shield and seems to move the rain better.

I need to clarify here. With the short shield and my half trooper helmet, the buffetting was tolerable. When I switched to a full face helmet, the buffetting seemed much worse for me, that is why I went back to a taller shield. Now I am loving life again.

Slim Jim

I have a personal preference for a taller shield, so I actually have the original shorty that was on the bike when I bought it sitting in my garage doing nothing.

If you're interested, PM me and we can work something out.

I'm 6'6" and my '83 has a stock 22" shield that I have no complaints with. Eye sight is just over the top edge and I can duck down a bit to look thru the shield. My 91 came with a wider shorter 18" shield. I haven't had a chance to ride it enough to give an opinion on the comfort level, but so far so good. Just can't duck down below the top edge. I don't have a passenger to worry about as all my riding is one up.....

If your worried about a tall shield looking through it when it:rain2: rains, fogs up etc., there are a good few products out there to prevent it from that happening. I use RAINX on both sides of the shield and the rain just beads up and blows off the shield. I have no problems at all and I have a stock tall shield. Waiting to get a few more:mo money:so I can put on a tall, wider clearview shield with a vent.

We guys have to keep Moma happy when she is riding with us, we don't need her :crying: or nagging when she's sitting behind us because she's getting wind in her face and messing up her hair. Also it's hard to ride like this :Im not listening to when she's nagging you in your ears.:rotf: Personnally, I don't want to end up looking like this.:missingtooth: :Avatars_Gee_George:

If your worried about a tall shield looking through it when it:rain2: rains, fogs up etc., there are a good few products out there to prevent it from that happening. I use RAINX on both sides of the shield and the rain just beads up and blows off the shield. I have no problems at all and I have a stock tall shield. Waiting to get a few more:mo money:so I can put on a tall, wider clearview shield with a vent.

We guys have to keep Moma happy when she is riding with us, we don't need her :crying: or nagging when she's sitting behind us because she's getting wind in her face and messing up her hair. Also it's hard to ride like this :Im not listening to when she's nagging you in your ears.:rotf: Personnally, I don't want to end up looking like this.:missingtooth: :Avatars_Gee_George:

RainX can damage plexiglass and is not suppose to be used on the stock Yamaha shield.. Clearviews are different and they say you can use RainX but they recommend Plexus.. I use a spray polymer polish and/or Pledge wipes on the stock shield.. My tall Clearview should be in Thursday. :cool10: