IGNORED

Driving/fog lights and headlight suggestions

Anyone have any suggestions for a good driving/fog light combination for my 89 first gen VR? I've done alot of research on the web, but I'm still wondering what would be best for the bike and electrical system. Thanks

On my 1st gen I have a BiXenon HID head light at 35 watts. This puts out way more light than than the stock halogen and saves a little power too.

For driving lights I have the KC HiLiTES 35 series spread beam lights. These lights are focused between a driving light and a fog light. They do help light up straight down the road but they also do an excellent job of lighting up the ditches for spotting deer and other critters that are headed for the road. If you look at the lens they are angled outward. They are not the prettiest but they do work, are of good quality and have a 23 year warranty from a reputable company. They come with 55w halogens. If you are worried about the power you could down grade to 35W halogen. I am planning to convert mine to 35w HID.

At first I could not use them in town, just out on the road where I will not spend much time at idle.

Now that I have converted all of the brake, turn, and running lights to LED, and with the 35W HID headlight. I can now run these two 55W lights all the time and still be charging at idle.

Brett,

Any driving light that you install will pull watts from your battery and charging system. For the past thirty years, Venture owners have installed aftermarket fog/driving lights onto the First Gen Ventures without issue. In that time period, your choices were quartz halogen lights with 35 watt or 50 watt power consumption (each lamp). You could choose from cheap WalMart plastic housings all the way to chrome and lead glass lenses Cibie 135. In fact Yamaha offered Cibie 135 driving lights in their VentureLine catalog. You can still take this route today, perhaps even less expensive than back in the day.

More and more, there are new more 'energy efficient' offerings out there, from lower wattage halogens (less light output, though), to LED replacement 'bulbs' for your old H3 bulbs, to HID (moderately less wattage, but higher lumens than halogen, bulky, hot, expensive) to the current cutting edge LED (fairly compact, potentially lower wattage, potentially greater lumens, VERY expensive).

Your biggest hurdle may be finding old driving light brackets meant for the First Gens. Keep an eye on eBay. Occasionally, VentureLine (Drag Specialties) driving light brackets show there. Sometimes with driving or fog lights included.

I am planning on going with the PIAA LP530 LED fog lights for my 89.

http://www.piaa.com/store/p/188-LP-530-High-Intensity-LED-Fog-Light-Kit.aspx

they list at $300 but found them on ebay for $165 delivered to my door from ebay seller mvpautoparts

I like the idea of the low power of the LED and the idea of pointing the LED backwards and off of a reflector to better control the light pattern.

I already had a set of mounting brackets that a VR member made years ago. They mount where the horns mount and move the horns onto them and have a hole for the lights to mount.

It really boils down to what you are looking for and what you want to spend but since I do a lot of fall riding I want to light up these Minnesota ditches and not blind on coming drivers.

Good luck..

Rick F.

:080402gudl_prv:

Now that I have converted all of the brake, turn, and running lights to LED, and with the 35W HID headlight. I can now run these two 55W lights all the time and still be charging at idle.

Hmm...I've been thinking of doing this... Did you write up anything about your modification?

Did you add a resistance unit (or simialr) so the LED blinkers work properly? Did you simply replace the bulbs in the turn signals and tail/brake...or use a custom tail/brake kit that plugs into the standard bulb socket?

Thanks,

david

Hmm...I've been thinking of doing this... Did you write up anything about your modification?

Did you add a resistance unit (or simialr) so the LED blinkers work properly? Did you simply replace the bulbs in the turn signals and tail/brake...or use a custom tail/brake kit that plugs into the standard bulb socket?

Thanks,

david

Yes

Yes

Yes

No

:think:

I'll have to dig to find the details.