IGNORED

83 trunk mod? BIG MOMMA!!!

So just about ready for my vacation trip to colorado on the 83 First Gen. Gott my backrest installed, sheep skin on the seat, and full size windshield. My issue is now with the backrest on my momma can't fit. Lol.

She is riding with me out there and outside of removing the trunk I'm not sure if there is any other options. I'd like to keep the trunk if possible. I've read about trunk mods on newer bikes but not finding anything on the first gen

Any help for the Big Momma syndrome? Tips please

Thanks again!!!!!!

Blessings

Big C

Move the trunk back about 2 inches and then cut a bit out of the rise in the back of the seat. Then cut about half of the rise from the back of the seat pan.

To Move the trunk: Remove trunk, remove rack, get two pieces of flat bar, 2 inch by about 10" 1\8" thick. Drill holes in the flat bar to co-ordinate with the original bolt holes and have the flat bar extend back from there, catered in slightly so that you can drill 4 more holes to accommodate the mounts from the removed rack which you will bolt to the bars. You will need to make some bushings to put under the flat bars so that come up to level. I used 1\2" copper tubing. Once it's all together you can just mount the trunk back on.

A lot of the 1st genners have moved the trunk back. There was a kit with four brackets shaped like a "Z" kinda that lifted and moved the trunk back two inches. My bike had these on it when I got it and I took them off. When I made the passenger arm rests, I used that bracket and made two more and moved the trunk back about an inch. It is not hard to do. Just remove your trunk and you will see the four mounting points and get some metal strips and figure how far you want it moved. You may have to figure an off set to clear the bolts.

RandyA

Well after the input I went to Home Depot and got some flat bar and bolts and stuff. Well it ain't pretty, lol, but not bad for a musician. The test well be when my wife gets home but my mom is a little bigger. The good news is my real biker babe is my daughter (6 yrs old) can still set with me and not falling out the back. She is my primary rider but this setup is not to hard to take off

Thanks again for the help!!!

Big C

jjjeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz...i really would like a picture of WHY the trunk needs relocation.. Some of these suggestions could result in a broken rear frame...like mine . the rear of a venture has it's limits.

seriously...I posted a few weeks ago a thread. The 86-93 have a trunk that weighs with luggage rack 30# . Then they say ANOTHER 20# can go in there. But if you remove the trunk ..you still can only put on 20# directly on the chrome rack per the owners manual. Something is wrong with this math. I suspect mine broke for a few reasons.1st- I no longer have a passenger 99% of the time, where a passenger would at least damp the shaking stresses. 2nd I had a progressive rear spring that I set very firm. 3rd..the chrome rack and frame tabs just don't line up exactly= constant stress. NOW riding w/o the trunk on a MKII makes the bike truly........... sporting...it's a bagger.. yes it's all fixed and aligned now. BUT I will only use the trunk for big trips..maybe:fingers-crossed-emo

Like to see some pics of this with no trunk in place

The MKI and MKII were available in Europe without the trunk. I'm not certain, but it (the trunk) may have been an accessory, to be purchased at the option of the buyer. At least it appears that the trunk was not included as standard for some of the time the Venture was offered in Europe.

Note the color of the MKI immediately below. That color wasn't offered in the US or Canada until the 1991 Black "Tuxedo". Also note the MKII anti-dive on the MKI. Notice, too that that MKI has CLASS, but no radio or CB and it is not a Royale.

attachment.php?attachmentid=85936&stc=1&d=1406248855

attachment.php?attachmentid=85937&stc=1&d=1406248855

attachment.php?attachmentid=85938&stc=1&d=1406248855

Edited by Prairiehammer

Whoa! That black bike with the brown seating area, wow. Now I might change my paint scheme idea...

When I get a moment, I'll snap a pic of my '83 that I moved the trunk back. I used 2 angle brackets (5 x 5 x 1.125, 1/8 thk, Menards, less than $2 each) that I cut at the angle, they already had holes and it moved the rack back about 2 1/2". It moves the whole rack back, as the trunk is removable. Went on a 400+ miles ride with the wife (her first time on it) and not an issue.

-Andrew

Note the color of the MKI immediately below. That color wasn't offered in the US or Canada until the 1991 Black "Tuxedo". Also note the MKII anti-dive on the MKI.

Interesting Kevin..

even the electric antidive is the later side mounted (88-up) vs the front mounted 86-87 version.

So I took a few pics of my relocated trunk, it actually moves the rack back 3 1/4". The brackets were narrow enough that they fit into the rack mounts w/o any shims, and all the holes were drilled, and evenly spaced, so I didn't have to measure or drill, just cut and bolt on. All I had to do was find 4 nuts & bolts, which I have a bunch from dis-assembling my parts bike. As for the plastic cover, I don't have CLASS (PO removed it) so I just trimmed the plastic away where the bar would be, I'll probably find a piece of sheet metal and make a nicer cover that sits down further so it'll look nice if I run w/o the trunk. I left the plastic on because there is a hole otherwise, and it shows the taillight wires.

-Andrew

TrunkRelocate02.jpg

TrunkRelocate05.jpg

Edited by icebrrg3rd