IGNORED

1st Gen horns needed

yamagrl

I think I need the high tone horn but I'm not sure. Both horns have the same markings and there is no way to know if they are original. The brackets are marked but there's also no way to make sure that they have not been changed around.

So I guess a high horn or a pair

They don't seem to be where I thought they might be.

I'll have to go into a full search mode.

It is possible that I already gave them away or even trashed them if they got in my way once to often.

But I have a few hiding places to check out yet.

If I have them you can have them, I will never go back to stock horns.

Stebel air horn. Very loud.

Or the WoLo Bad Boy, which seems to be the same thing. Use 2. Make brackets to attach to the frame where the original horn mount bolted up. You need to route separate power (stock horn wiring is too light) to the relays - which can be plugged right to the existing horn wiring to trigger them. You can ground the horn at the mounting bolt.

The left and right brackets will not be symmetric, the mounting bolts on the horn are not centered.

Pictures attached showing a Markland mount that was available for 1st gens. These show up on Ebay occasionally. Driving light attach to same bracket. Left horn has an offset plate I made from the stock horn mounts.

I don't think you can ground horns at bracket as MiCarl mentioned as the horn circuit switches the ground side of circuit.

Gary

I think I need the high tone horn but I'm not sure. Both horns have the same markings and there is no way to know if they are original. The brackets are marked but there's also no way to make sure that they have not been changed around.

So I guess a high horn or a pair

Heather, I have a pair of stock Venture horns, complete with VentureLine chrome covers.

Since I owe a "Pay It Forward", they are yours for the asking.

I don't think you can ground horns at bracket as MiCarl mentioned as the horn circuit switches the ground side of circuit.

If you use a relay you can. I'm surprised you haven't burned up the horn switch running a pair of air horns on the stock circuit.

I had a computer crash and cannot find my wiring diagram. Here is one Dingy posted in another air horn discussion:

attachment.php?attachmentid=75254&d=1364699017

On my installation the 15A fuse is only connected to post 30 on the relay. The stock horns are removed and the original horn connectors go to posts 85 and 86. 87 is connected to the air horn (+) and the ground goes to where the mounting bracket attaches to the frame.

I have a horn on each side and each has its own relay. They're both powered by a single 15A fuse. Use 16ga or thicker wire. My horns were weak with 18ga wire.

Ok, found mine in another post:

attachment.php?attachmentid=72629&d=1352245802

You might notice that what matters is pairs of terminals, not which connects to what. 85 and 86 connect to the original horn wiring. One of 30 or 87 goes to a fused (+) and the other goes to the air horn.

Actually I had a pair of harbor freight snail horns. Wired through a single relay. I used the ground wire and horn switch from the original horn circuit to actuate the relay. I really like the look of the original horns and would like them to work. However I do plan to wire in a really LOUD horn when I can find a good place to install it. After all... Big Red is a Girl's Bike"

Ok, found mine in another post:

attachment.php?attachmentid=72629&d=1352245802

You might notice that what matters is pairs of terminals, not which connects to what. 85 and 86 connect to the original horn wiring. One of 30 or 87 goes to a fused (+) and the other goes to the air horn.

That's what I have done. Didn't think about that when I did previous reply.

I should be banned from posting for 48 hours. Might get more done on Hybrid. Building a wiring harness from scratch is time consuming.

Gary