IGNORED

questions about a up coming trip

We're planning a trip leaving the Chicago area, going through southern Michigan and heading into Canada to spend a couple nights in the Niagara Falls area before heading back. The return trip will be a more southern route through New York, Pennsylvania, Ohio and Indiana.

We're planning on staying off the Interstates as much as possible. Any tips on sites to see, things to do, etc?

Any related motorcycle laws that I should know about for Canada or any of the mentioned states?

Thanks!

Howdy,

For Ontario, you have to wear your helmet. Some great roads around Niagara while you are here. Coming into Ontario, traveling along Lake Erie is a nice ride, stop in Port Dover is always good. When you are in Niagara, trip into Niagara on the Lake is a nice little ride or for a longer ride while in the area, traveling the Wine Route is a nice ride.

When are you doing your trip?

Mike

Howdy,

For Ontario, you have to wear your helmet. Some great roads around Niagara while you are here. Coming into Ontario, traveling along Lake Erie is a nice ride, stop in Port Dover is always good. When you are in Niagara, trip into Niagara on the Lake is a nice little ride or for a longer ride while in the area, traveling the Wine Route is a nice ride.

When are you doing your trip?

Mike

Thanks for the info Mike.

Planning on leaving at the end of the month.

Great links, thanks!

Hi Tim,

We are planning a trip down to the Watkins Glen are in NY for a couple of days and then on to Geneva on the Lake Oh in late July, one of the routes we are looking at is Route 6, everything I have read about it sounds great.

Mike

If I can, depending on what day it is, I would be glad to lead you around on a ride or two through the Niagara area if you wish.

Mike

Cool, thanks for the offer. :cool10:

We don't have a definite schedule but have reservations in Niagara Falls, ON for Monday night. Let's PM if something on Monday through Wednesday fits your schedule.

When in Canada you should have a certificate of insurance for Canada with you. You can get one from your insurance agent, they are free and just state you do indeed have insurance. Also absolutely no firearms allowed in Canada so leave your heat behind.

Absolutely let us in Western New York know when you are here and we will show you some of the sights and roads around here. I'm retired so I am available all the time. I may also join the Canadian group as well...

Cheesehead, any chance you might be wanting to catch some of michigans best riding up the west side? I will not be around during that time frame to personally guide you but I do know where the best of the best touring is along the lake shore and would be happy to map it for you. I also know lots of open camp areas that are free if you are camping on your trip. Also there is a cycles only campground in northern michigan called cyclemore that always has really cool things happening and a super neat collection of bikes. If you were close to the bridge during the fourth there is a massive car show up there that is awesome for both bike and car guys.

After returning from niagra in up state new york you may wanna check out lake placid, beautiful ridin. I stumbled upon a museum over there to one time that is unbelieveable. Its like a museum of science and industry for gearheads. Its called,, something like,,,,, the curtis museum,, I think.. full of very very old bikes and airplanes that you can actually touch and play with the engines and stuff.. I could easily spend a week of vacation just playing there. Hopefully someone chimes in here that is from that area that can guide you there.. or google around about it,, I would do it for you but this tiny tab I am using is limited with my fat fingers!

If you would like to chat on phone with me about michigan just pm me your n6mber and time to and I will jingle you..

you folks have a wonderful safe trip where ever the wind blows you!

puc

Cheesehead, any chance you might be wanting to catch some of michigans best riding up the west side? I will not be around during that time frame to personally guide you but I do know where the best of the best touring is along the lake shore and would be happy to map it for you. I also know lots of open camp areas that are free if you are camping on your trip. Also there is a cycles only campground in northern michigan called cyclemore that always has really cool things happening and a super neat collection of bikes. If you were close to the bridge during the fourth there is a massive car show up there that is awesome for both bike and car guys.

After returning from niagra in up state new york you may wanna check out lake placid, beautiful ridin. I stumbled upon a museum over there to one time that is unbelieveable. Its like a museum of science and industry for gearheads. Its called,, something like,,,,, the curtis museum,, I think.. full of very very old bikes and airplanes that you can actually touch and play with the engines and stuff.. I could easily spend a week of vacation just playing there. Hopefully someone chimes in here that is from that area that can guide you there.. or google around about it,, I would do it for you but this tiny tab I am using is limited with my fat fingers!

If you would like to chat on phone with me about michigan just pm me your n6mber and time to and I will jingle you..

you folks have a wonderful safe trip where ever the wind blows you!

puc

Thanks for the information but we'll only have about 9 days total so we weren't planning on too much time in Michigan. It certainly sounds like a great way to spend a weekend though. I'll keep that in mind for future rides.

When in Canada you should have a certificate of insurance for Canada with you. You can get one from your insurance agent, they are free and just state you do indeed have insurance. Also absolutely no firearms allowed in Canada so leave your heat behind.

Absolutely let us in Western New York know when you are here and we will show you some of the sights and roads around here. I'm retired so I am available all the time. I may also join the Canadian group as well...

Good to know about the insurance paperwork. I wouldn't have thought of that. The insurance card I typically carry isn't enough?

Cheesehead, we have one law here in Ontario you should know about.....if there is an emergency vehicle with lights activated on the shoulder, you need to slow down and if it's safe to do so, you need to move over a lane....the idea is to give all emergency people at roadside a buffer area.

As mentioned earlier as well, if stopped by LEO, you need to be able to produce 3 things...your licence, the vehicle permit and a valid insurance slip, and DOT approved helmets are mandatory.