IGNORED

New Starter for 1 Gen

I've replaced my battery this spring and everything was fine. Now I get the dreaded hot (no start, or maybe a slow drag and start). I've cleaned cables, tightened all. Added an additional ground, but when I mess with power wire at starter, the whole mess (stud and all) turns and I'm afraid of breaking. I'm considering just buying a replacement 2nd Gen starter, as others suggest. I can not seem to find anything reasonable on the net, or ebay, and I'm not sure what P/N I should buy. (I have an 83). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. thanks

I wondered the same about snowmobile starter, they look similar. I did snug connection on starter, seems better, still is not right. Since it has not actually failed me yet, and I am a big guy and tried a push starter in case it ever does, and it fired very easy, I'm holding off unless necessary. Tight on funds right now. I actually feel my connection issue on the starter is the primary issue, and I plan to take off and mess with it in the fall so if I break it, I can replace with a 4 brush starter.

Removeing, and rebuilding the starter is not actually that complicated.

Most of the work is takeing off the fairings, and exhaust pipe.

Couple bolts, and starter comes out, Take it apart. Clean the armatuer, polish it, lubricate the bearings, and " Re-Solder the bolt " ( Clean between the copper sections of the commutator )

Brushes should be ok, unless bike is over about 85K on the miles.

Or order a new set of brushe's, easy to replace.

Really, nothing hard about the job !!

And while you have the starter out and opened up you can to the Dingy ground plate mod. The ground mod will help the hot start issue, as will switching to welding cable for the leads. The ultimate fix is still the 4 brush starter.

And while you have the starter out and opened up you can to the Dingy ground plate mod. The ground mod will help the hot start issue, as will switching to welding cable for the leads. The ultimate fix is still the 4 brush starter.

Ditto, this made a big difference on my starter. I have a four brush on the shelf, but this one is working so good now that I have not thought about putting it on.

RandyA

I've looked at the mods, Dingys extra wire etc. All seem great. I'm hoping to afford a 4 brush, the consensus is do it... We have a local cycle recycle in the city, hope to find one there. Actually Yammer Dan has a great question, does anyone know? Looking at the links Michel sent, there seems to be a Phillips screw in the side of the 4 brush, ???

Yamaha didn't make a Venture motorcycle from 1994-1998. They did make Yamaha Venture snowmobiles...any chance its a snowmobile starter?

Okay, you are correct but they did sell bikes with the XVZ1300 V4 engine and its starter has the same part number as the later models. Right now there are several later model starters on ebay for different prices, some very high. I just bought a 96 starter yesterday for $54.20 with free shipping from Pinwall Cycle parts. They have photos and a video of the complete bike running before they took it apart including a dyno run. The bidding on a 2007 starter ends tonight.

Yes they made Royal Stars from 1996 on...just cautioning folks about searching for Venture starter...might get the wrong thing.

Yamaha has a habit of reusing model names for bikes , snowmobiles etc

Sounds like you got a good deal!

Yes they made Royal Stars from 1996 on...just cautioning folks about searching for Venture starter...might get the wrong thing.

Yamaha has a habit of reusing model names for bikes , snowmobiles etc

Sounds like you got a good deal!

I found that searching on "starter XVZ1300" or "starter XVZ13" found the starters. Some were for the first generation but they stated what year or years it was for. If Venture is in the search criteria, it will pull up personal watercraft starters.

Dont go by part # as this will lead to confusion. 91-93 VR are all 4 brush. All 2nd generations are 4 brush so you can find a low mileaged starter in many models. My search revealed a lot OE replacements on the market with poor components...not my 1st choice...find a salvaged take off from a 2nd generation...with low miles if possible. My 2cents.

The bidding on a 2007 starter ends tonight.

The 07 starter went for $174.50 with 27 bids.

Looks like the world has figured out that the 2nd gen starters fit and fix much of the 1st gen starter problems. Like some others, I bought a 2nd gen starter for about $50 and I was the only bidder.

RandyA

I challenge you to push start this beast when the starter is hot. Its not pretty. I have a starter coming from PinWall (330 879 9910) off a 2007 Royal Star for 59.95. I have an 86 VR 2 brush. They do not list every starter on Ebay. Be careful how you ask as they will NOT BE ABLE to cross reference as they dont match up that way. We know all 1300 starter will fit so years 1991-93 1996-2007 . Pinwall will give you the year and usually the mileage as well. Just ask them to check ANY yamaha 1300 within those years. Then just figure out what suits your needs.

I have suffered since the day I bought this 4 years ago......always drags when hot and it has always started until last week 50 miles from home at a lil country gas station.. 2 kids pushed the hell out 900 lbs to get me going. I'm done with that...... Dave

The 07 starter went for $174.50 with 27 bids.

Looks like the world has figured out that the 2nd gen starters fit and fix much of the 1st gen starter problems. Like some others, I bought a 2nd gen starter for about $50 and I was the only bidder.

RandyA

I think it was just two bidders. I bid first and put in a max bid. Somebody kept bidding until they exceeded my bid. This was repeated several times. My last max bid was $172 and the other guy exceeded it. A new Yamaha starter can be bought for $344 and I bid up to half of new for a 2007 starter with 30k miles on the bike. Probably a member of this site was the other bidder.

• 3 weeks later...
My search revealed a lot OE replacements on the market with poor components...not my 1st choice...find a salvaged take off from a 2nd generation...with low miles if possible.

I purchased a used one from E-Bay. Was from a 98 Yamaha XVZ 1300 Royal Star. I assumed it would be an original. But it doesn't look like its a Yamaha part. Too late now. But how do I know. The reason I think its fake. It says MITSUBA SM-(fine print something). I checked the internals. It is a 4 brush. Looks like the communtor ring needs to be brightened up some. I was thinking on lightly sand it with 600 grit.