IGNORED

exhaust for a MKII

Not a hole. The right pipe is completely detached in front of the muffler. Heat shield masked how bad it was. The muffler is being held on to the bike, but at the moment it's useless. I like the sound but it could use a little bit of baffling at a minimum; and I'm glad that both sides aren't straight pipes right now.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

Not a hole. The right pipe is completely detached in front of the muffler. Heat shield masked how bad it was. The muffler is being held on to the bike, but at the moment it's useless. I like the sound but it could use a little bit of baffling at a minimum; and I'm glad that both sides aren't straight pipes right now.

Thanks for clarifying....I need more coffee...really!

A pic is worth a thousand words. If it is the stub pipe that comes out of the collector, there have been posts where people have taken that to a muffler shop and had a new pipe welded in. Replacing the collector is pricey:mo money:

[ATTACH]84744[/ATTACH][ATTACH]84744[/ATTACH]

The 10 am sun doesn't help with getting decent pictures of dark areas, but here's what I could do in the parking lot at work. The pipe is completely sheared in front of the clamp in front of the muffler. The muffler is being held on by a single bolt.

It may take some doing, but if you get it off a muffler shop may be able to fix it by "splicing" a new piece in. Until then can you get a pop can (may be to light weigh material) or say a corn can. Split it with some metal shears and put it around the effected area, then use a couple hose clamps to hold it all together.

I started a thread a couple of years ago called Emergency Exhaust Repair. Think I had the same problem you describe while riding through rural Saskatchewan, almost 2000 miles from home. Did an emergency repair which is still working two years and many thousand miles later. However, I do hope to do a proper repair real soon. There are some pics of my repair in my original post, which I think this link will take you to:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=63863

I was outbid by $1...Mike basically froze up at the idea of bidding on ebay....sheesh....so, the next question is now what do we do?

I fixed my old 83 by simply brazing the thing up and stuffing a 1-1/4" pipe in there ...I think..this was over 20 years back. Removed the right muffler. Wire wheeled the thing as best as possible. Collectors do rust out when left outside

How hard is it to remove the pipes and collector from the bike ? I can easily lay over one of the 84's , but just wondering what it will take to get the parts off. :confused24:
As with everything on these old bike "it depends". On mine the collector was relatively easy to get off. The bolts for the rear exhaust clamps were quite rusty but were not that difficult to access and did come out without much trouble.

Getting the right side muffler off was somewhat evil though the left side one was easy enough. To drop the muffler there is a bolt that is accessed through the passenger floor board. The proper bolt to remove for this has a sort of mushroom shaped head with a smaller hex head. The left one had that bolt however the right one had been replaced with a "normal" cap screw type bolt with a larger head which did not leave enough room for the socket to fit through the hole in the floor board. I had to remove the floor board to get at the bolt. One of the floor board bolts was seized and had to be drilled out.

If that scenario had not happened I would say it is not such a difficult job to get them off.

My collector had both rear muffler pipe stubs rusted almost off. Took the collector to a muffler shop and had two new pipe stubs welded on. Gave the guy an exhaust gasket to use for sizing the pipe. I will be re-installing the collector this weekend so will find out if the new stubs were welded on in the right direction. Fingers crossed.

OK... I got over to my dad's ( the resting place of my parts bikes) and was finally able to remove the collector. I was able to disconnect the two rear top exhaust pipes but could not figure out how to get them out from inside the frame/engine area. Do you need those top rear pipes ?

Here is what I have so far:

photo%25202.JPG

photo%25203.JPG

These are the rear pipes I have off of my 89.

photo%25201.JPG

Edited by KIC