IGNORED

Battery Tender Plus -crapped out

DonB

I bought my 1.25amp Battery tender Plus in 2005 during Daytona week and was using it ever since. I always plugged it in summer or winter whenever I parked the bike in the garage and the Odessey was always at full charge.

Until last week when I went into the garage and the green light and red light was out. I thought that I had forgotton to turn it on but I had turned it on as usual.

My Odessey battery was stone cold dead cuz it had drained out thru the charger. I started my bike with jumpers from my truck and ran it for 15 minutes or so and then I attached my other 0.75 amp Battery tender and it took 3 days to get the battery back up to full charge.

I was afraid that I had ruined my Odessey (PC680) but it looks as if it'll be OK.

I bought the Odessey also in 2005 in Florida.

Just a warning about keeping an eye on any charger you have hooked up.

db

:soapbox:

Yes there's a 5 year warranty on the charger and I'm in a conversation now with their warranty department. With my receipt they want $9.95 to repair or replace and without a receipt they want $15.95. I don't remember if I filled out the warranty card or if I filled out a warranty page on their website and I'm waiting for an answer from them on this.

I wasn't sure if I could put a car charger on the Odessey battery or not and since we have several inches of snow on the ground I didn't mind waiting 3 days for the battery to charge.

Spring is just around the corner!!!

db

:cool10:

Yes there's a 5 year warranty on the charger and I'm in a conversation now with their warranty department. With my receipt they want $9.95 to repair or replace and without a receipt they want $15.95. I don't remember if I filled out the warranty card or if I filled out a warranty page on their website and I'm waiting for an answer from them on this.

I wasn't sure if I could put a car charger on the Odessey battery or not and since we have several inches of snow on the ground I didn't mind waiting 3 days for the battery to charge.

Spring is just around the corner!!!

db

:cool10:

Do you still have the Information Sheet, that came with your Odyessy Battery. It has very specific instructions as to Charging.

It calls out useing a 4 to 6 plus Amp """Constant Rate Charger, """

for a specific amount of time.

Also, Use Voltage readings to determine Percent of Charge.

12.4 Volts, is about 45 to 50 percent charged.

12.8 to 12.9 volts, is 100 percent charged.

Guest Ken8143
I bought my 1.25amp Battery tender Plus in 2005 during Daytona week and was using it ever since. I always plugged it in summer or winter whenever I parked the bike in the garage and the Odessey was always at full charge.

Until last week when I went into the garage and the green light and red light was out. I thought that I had forgotton to turn it on but I had turned it on as usual.

My Odessey battery was stone cold dead cuz it had drained out thru the charger. I started my bike with jumpers from my truck and ran it for 15 minutes or so and then I attached my other 0.75 amp Battery tender and it took 3 days to get the battery back up to full charge.

I was afraid that I had ruined my Odessey (PC680) but it looks as if it'll be OK.

I bought the Odessey also in 2005 in Florida.

Just a warning about keeping an eye on any charger you have hooked up.

db

:soapbox:

My problem witht he battery tender - apparently it kept on charging and charging - and nearly cooked the battery dry. I was not happy.

• 2 weeks later...

The trick with the Odyessy, is to use the Instruction sheet. Charge it

at a Steady rate, for a specific amount of time.

I have been useing 4 to 6 amps for about 5 hours.

That seems to do it just fine.

Do not leave the constant rate charger hooked up over night.

Sounds like you overuse it... Summer and Winter??? I have the Craftsman Brand Tender and only hook it up in the winter when the bike sits for more than a week... Don't use mine at all during Summer .. I really think you can overdo these things.

If you have the Odessy and use the battery tender I think there is the problem. Im having the same issue and I think it was Don that posted up a little while ago about needing the right charger for the AGM batteries. I only get luck with a car charger. Tender dont seem to have the kick to handle it. It is probably just the combination. Im ordering a Oddessy charger today.

If you have the Odessy and use the battery tender I think there is the problem. Im having the same issue and I think it was Don that posted up a little while ago about needing the right charger for the AGM batteries. I only get luck with a car charger. Tender dont seem to have the kick to handle it. It is probably just the combination. Im ordering a Oddessy charger today.

Tenders are only designed to maintain, not charge a battery. While a tender is on, check the vdc with a multi-meter. It should read about 12.9vdc. If it's in the 14.4-5vdc area it is not working properly. If the reading is less than 12.9 it's DOA and will drain your battery. It's a good practice to check a tenders function with a meter when new. Tenders are cheap and built that way. You can get a new one off the shelf, and it won't work. I have... With an Odyssey battery you shouldn't need to leave it on a trickler as it only loses a small percentage of charge per month while sitting. I've had one sit for 6 months and when I checked it the voltage checked out at 12.8vdc. With it installed on a bike there are a few items that will draw micro-amps. Clock, radio, etc., and it might be prudent to put a car battery smart charger every couple of months on it just because... , but if after sitting for 2-3 months, and the vdc reads 12.7-12.8vdc I wouldn't bother unless the bike is going to sit for a very long time....

As far as the difference between an AGM and a wet battery charger, it's all in the voltage. AGM's will limit the voltage to 13.4 vdc, just under gassing, while a wet battery can handle up to 14.5-6 without damage due to gassing...or boiling because the bubbles formed while charging will disapate. Bubbles formed in the AGM battery are suspended between the plates and will cause the amount of surface contact to decrease over time. I've talked to the folks at Odyssey and they've stated that the Odyssey will take any amp charge you can toss at it but I haven't got the guts to try it........ I'll keep the volts below 13.4.... :)

Tenders are only designed to maintain, not charge a battery. While a tender is on, check the vdc with a multi-meter. It should read about 12.9vdc. If it's in the 14.4-5vdc area it is not working properly. If the reading is less than 12.9 it's DOA and will drain your battery. It's a good practice to check a tenders function with a meter when new. Tenders are cheap and built that way. You can get a new one off the shelf, and it won't work. I have... With an Odyssey battery you shouldn't need to leave it on a trickler as it only loses a small percentage of charge per month while sitting. I've had one sit for 6 months and when I checked it the voltage checked out at 12.8vdc. With it installed on a bike there are a few items that will draw micro-amps. Clock, radio, etc., and it might be prudent to put a car battery smart charger every couple of months on it just because... , but if after sitting for 2-3 months, and the vdc reads 12.7-12.8vdc I wouldn't bother unless the bike is going to sit for a very long time....

As far as the difference between an AGM and a wet battery charger, it's all in the voltage. AGM's will limit the voltage to 13.4 vdc, just under gassing, while a wet battery can handle up to 14.5-6 without damage due to gassing...or boiling because the bubbles formed while charging will disapate. Bubbles formed in the AGM battery are suspended between the plates and will cause the amount of surface contact to decrease over time. I've talked to the folks at Odyssey and they've stated that the Odyssey will take any amp charge you can toss at it but I haven't got the guts to try it........ I'll keep the volts below 13.4.... :)

True but Odessey sells a tender of their own for the AGM that tends at 6 amp. I ordered one today. Aparrently the regualr tenders dont supply enough amps for this type of battery. See if this works better, It should.

http://www.batteryweb.com/odyssey-ultimizer-detail-OMAX-6A-1B.htm

True but Odessey sells a tender of their own for the AGM that tends at 6 amp. I ordered one today. Aparrently the regualr tenders dont supply enough amps for this type of battery. See if this works better, It should.

http://www.batteryweb.com/odyssey-ultimizer-detail-OMAX-6A-1B.htm

Scott. I'd be interested to hear how it works out. At 6amps it should charge. I generally use one of the multi volt smart charger's that appeared on the market a few years ago. Charge at 2vdc AGM and it takes 2-3 hours to top it off at 13.4vdc. When you have it hooked up and charging I'd be interested in what the voltage output is....

Scott. I'd be interested to hear how it works out. At 6amps it should charge. I generally use one of the multi volt smart charger's that appeared on the market a few years ago. Charge at 2vdc AGM and it takes 2-3 hours to top it off at 13.4vdc. When you have it hooked up and charging I'd be interested in what the voltage output is....

Ill let you know. I should have gotten it a while ago but I didnt listen. Actually Don said a while ago. I was really suprised that it was that cheap too or I would have gotten it long ago. Damn Stubborn Scot I am!