IGNORED

Crash bars are wonderful

venture83_98

Ever wonder how well the crash bars on a Gen 1 work? Pretty darn well as I found out this morning. About 4:45 this morning, I lowsided on some gravel/dirt turning onto the road I work on. I was on the ground, doing a superman slide, listening to the bike slide, then flip onto the right side, and slide some more. Got help picking the Bike up by a truck driver that was pulling in behind me. Took a bit to get it into neutral and restarted. Rode the last 500 yards to the parking lot and pulled into the shop to survey the damage. Left side airwing bolts broken, but still intact, clutch lever bent up, possible tweaked handle bar. Right side broken top panel/speaker housing, scrapes on corner of fairing, crack on edge of turn signal lens, crash bars scraped/ bent in a bit on both sides. Pretty sure the chrome corner guards (right below the mirrors) saved the right upper fairing from cracking. Took a chunk of paint off my helmet, scuffed my new (worn twice) boots and overpants. A bit sore, but no major damage, so all is good.

So, where do I send my $5 crash "penalty" :whistling:

Good morning! Glad you're OK!!!

Yes the crash bars do work!! Damage looks typical for the crash you described, all fixable but I almost guarantee you if you claim it on your insurance they will total it. You will probably find your front fairing frame is a little twisted.

Yes, look at the damage to your helmet and think what it would have done to your head had you not been wearing a helmet! I only wear full face myself!

For the "Oops" fund just click the donate button. Hope your day improves!!!

Glad you are OK!!!

Another thing to check real close.

The right crash bar likes to flex back, crack the plastic elbow that comes out of the water pump, and then spring back to its normal position looking all innocent as if saying "Nope not me, I didn't crack that pipe :whistling:"

All it takes is just the slightest dent and it will grow into coolant leak over time.

Glad you are OK!!!

Another thing to check real close.

The right crash bar likes to flex back, crack the plastic elbow that comes out of the water pump, and then spring back to its normal position looking all innocent as if saying "Nope not me, I didn't crack that pipe :whistling:"

All it takes is just the slightest dent and it will grow into coolant leak over time.

I am aware of that issue. Plan on checking that by the weekend

Amen on good crash bars. Been tested three times this year.

Once lost control pulling trailer over frozen ruts on rock road, one on wet rock drive during thunderstorm and then a few weeks ago the 70 MPH wind gusts blew it over and under the camper trailer.

I lost the windscreen on the last one and the Baker lower wind wings on the others. No damage to any body panel or even a mirror.

Can't complain about a good design.

http://img.tapatalk.com/d/14/04/10/utene6yp.jpg

From my Droid wherever I may happen to be at any given moment.

Funny you mentioned this, I found out first hand today. My foot slipped out from under me on a crawl speed u-turn & I dropped her. Absolutely no major damage to the bike at all. Just the mirror got scuffed as did my helmet...oh yeah did I mention I took the handlebar to the ribs?

My Gen1 is fully blinged so she weighs a bit more than stock...especially when she's on top!

Those crash bars did the job well~!