IGNORED

Tire Question

I need to replace my front tire and am currently looking at options for my 2006 RSV.

I currently have a Metzeler ME 880 in front and a Dunlop 404 in the rear. These are the tires it came with when I bought it last summer. The back one only has 5000 miles on it and still looks brand new. I usually run 36psi up front and 40psi in the rear.

The front one will need to be replaced in the next month. I was looking at moving to the Elite3's but I cannot find them in the stock sizes for the RSV (150/80-16 front, 150/90-15 rear), nor can I find them with wide white walls. With the Metzeler, the only thing I dont like is that is seems to catch grooves and once in a while that transfers into a front wiggle.

So any opinion on the Metzelers or where I could find Elite3's with wide whitewalls that would fit?

Thanks ahead of time to those who respond. :thumbsup2:

:canada:

No wide whitewalls in the E-3 line, strictly blackwall tires. They wear like iron though, unlike the 404's which do come in whitewalls. Although I'm sure to get a lot of arguments here, I do not believe in mixing front and rear tread patterns, and definitely do not believe in mixing radials and bias ply tires!!

The Dunlop E-3 has the highest wear numbers, even better than Michelin, but the E-3's can be a little noisier than the second and third best wear numbers Michelin and Continental...

On my last tire changeout I could not find a Dunlop E3 for my Venture. I put the Dunlop 404 on the front and a new Dunlop E3 on the rear. I always change out BOTH tires so my experience tells me that by the time I have 10-12K on the tires they will both be ready for changeout. I run 40psi in both tires. Love the way the bike rides and handles with these Dunlops!

I went through 2 sets of Michellin Commanders previously BUT the rear Michellin wore out before I nailed 10K on the bike. For me the Dunlop E3's are the best tires I have ever put on my Venture....especially when it comes to that rear tire!

Boomer....who sez when de rubber meets de road ya better have good tires because YOUR LIFE depends on it.

Here's my 2¢, which probably isn't worth even that.

The E3 on rear is pretty good, but what I don't like about it is, it has a pretty flat profile.

I have NO chicken strips on it. You can lean the bike over further than the profile. I haven't noticed a problem with this except a slight wiggle in high speed corners.

Gonna try a Exedra Max or G702 as they have a rounder profile next time.

Didn't like the E3 on front at all. The Stratoliner wheel setup really fixed the front end near perfect.

I do not recommend Pirelli Route 66 tires at all. I have a set of them on my bike right now, and they do not track even close to the way the Metzler ME 880's that I replaced did. I'm tired of the bike wiggling when I cross highway seams, and they don't give me a real confident feeling when I'm going through turns at speed. They just don't track very well. The Metzler's were wonderful, but I bought these Pirelli's on a quick decision, and I am gonna change them. They ony have about 3000 miles on them, but i"m tired of it.

Just letting you know because I think the Pirelli's are offered in a whitewall. Don't do it.

I put the Michelin Commander 2's on over 15K ago, and they look like they should do at least another 5 or more. The Michelin for the front does not come in the OEM size. You have to get it in like a 130/90 vs the 150/80. Some say it gives a tad better slow speed feel. I honestly dont think I can tell. I think trying to get the white walls you may be limiting your choices, not alot of companies make them. Now if you look into sizes to fit the Harley's you'll probably find them. Personally if I have to buy them for the car, I turn the white walls in. I dont like cleaning them at all.

I do not recommend Pirelli Route 66 tires at all. I have a set of them on my bike right now, and they do not track even close to the way the Metzler ME 880's that I replaced did. I'm tired of the bike wiggling when I cross highway seams, and they don't give me a real confident feeling when I'm going through turns at speed. They just don't track very well. The Metzler's were wonderful, but I bought these Pirelli's on a quick decision, and I am gonna change them. They ony have about 3000 miles on them, but i"m tired of it.

Just letting you know because I think the Pirelli's are offered in a whitewall. Don't do it.

I will go the opposite route on the Pirellis. I love mine. Especially the front. I still have the first Pirelli front on mine. The rear wore pretty funny, pretty quick. But the front is great.

I have found a combination that works great for me. Like I said I have the Pirelli on the front. Since buying the bike roughly 1 1/2 years ago, I am on my 4th rear tire. An E3 came on it. It rode well until it got worn. I feel it had at least a couple thousand miles left judging by tread depth, but it was scary to ride in my opinion. So in my mind I did not get the full use out of the tire for the price. Next was the set of Pirellis. Got about 5000 miles from the rear before it felt bad. I then decided to go with the Avon Venom on the back. It cracked very badly with no more than 2000 miles. I had a hell of a time getting it warrantied so I am done with the Avons. I am not going through that again. So now I cheaped out and got the Shinko 230 Tourmaster. So far coupled with the Pirelli up front, I have never felt so confident on the bike. It handles everything well including riding home from work one day in the snow I didn't know we were getting that day. Feels like it is glued to the road like never before. I know the mileage on the Shinko supposedly stinks, but I do my own tire changes and have gotten fairly quick about it now. So if I get 6000 miles form my $80 tire, I will continue to run it on the rear with the Pirelli up front.

I had good luck and liked the handling of the Pirelli on the 900 Vulcan I had. I would say it got excellent wear on that bike. I got at least 12K out of and could have got more but I was planning a longer trip and didnt want to get hung out changing on the road. I have been wondering about the Shinkos. I read 3 posts that they like them then read a couple they dont think the mileage is what it should be,

Well, looks like I will be stuck with 404's for a while. :bang head:

In the standard sizes of 150/80-16 for front and 150/90-15 for rear I have found the following available:

Dunlop 404 - available for front and rear in BW and WWW. Wear issues in the rear.

Dunlop E3's - available in BW for the front, but nothing for the rear.

Michelin Comander II - available for rear only and no WWW. Seem to have best record.

Metzeler 880 - available for front in BW and WWW, but only in BW for rear. Tire chunking issues in rear.

Avon Venom - available in BW for front and back, but too much talk about sidewall cracking

Avon Cobra - available only for the front in BW, again sidewall cracking

So from looking at a number of reviews in the past day's:

- I have written off the Avon altogether because of the cracking issue.

- Also would not use Metzeler in the rear as a result of the chunking issue.

Here are my options:

If I want to stick to WWW in a matched set, I am left with the Dunlop 404. Would still have the wear issue in the rear.

If I forgo the match set and keep WWW, I could put a Metzeler in from and a 404 out back. Would still have a wear issue in the rear.

In BW to get a matched set, I am left with the Dunlop 404.

If I forgo the matched set, I could go with Metzeler or 404 or E3 in the front and Michelin in the rear.

I would have preferred to go with a matched set and the Michelin's front and rear as they seem to get the best reviews or all, even if it meant not having WWW.

Any thoughts:confused24::confused24::confused24:

EDIT: Ok thanks to ACE50 and RedRider I was able to figure out some alternate sizes that would fit as follows:

Rear: MV85H-15

Front: 130/90-16 and MT90B16

I will take another look at my options but I am now leaning heavily on the E3's or the Commanders.

Edited by Bert2006

Forgot to add the E3's, but I cannot find that tire for the rear stock size. What size are you running in the rear?

MV85HB-15

This is the size listed for the E3 (same as 150/90-15)

Agree about D404, very low mileage.

Ok made my decision and I am going with the Michelin Commander II. I was leaning towards the E3s at first, but they do not offer the multi-compound in our sizes. They also seem to have some cupping issues.

The Commanders are at the same price and are getting more consistent good reviews on durability and ride quality.

Did give up on the WWW though, but value ride quality and durability more.

Thanks to all who posted responses as it did help me make the call.:thumbsup:

Now lets have a collective talk with the man upstairs so that this winter can finally end.:snow2: