Is there some sort of plastic/soft rubber cover available for the ventures?

I noticed I have a small rock chip/hole in my new to me bike, and thought it might be cheaper to put one of those on than to replace the glass on the headlight. Does anyone have them and do they work....or just get cloudy and hard after a short while? Thanks.

If it is only a very small chip, you can use:

"CLEAR" RTV sealant...or Clear Scotch Tape..or.......

You can change out the lens by purchasing a lens from one of these places and changing your broken lens out.

I can explain more in detail on how to do this in P-email if your interested.

http://www.gcustoms.com/product_info/category_id/3/subcategory_id/92/products_id/5914/

http://www.davesport.com/cgi-bin/davesport/920H.html

http://www.realtruck.com/productline/1041/1/1/rampage_products_jeep_replacement_headlamp_conversions.html

Thanks for the replies guys...but it seems your headlight replacement articles deals with 2nd gen and not the 1st gen venture. Or did I miss something in my rapid scan of the article?

Barry,

The 89 uses Yamaha Number 1NL-84303-A0-00 HEADLIGHT UNIT ASS''Y

Item #1

http://parts.yamaha-motor.com/partimage.gifx?d=123359,4,0

I see this used on the 1986 to 1993 1st Gen Ventures

I don't think the earlier ones are the same at all... but not positive...

the parts diagrams say they aren't.

Yours is a "shell" with rather important "mount lugs"...

About $146 new...

Sounds like time to call a few salvage yards...

Thanks for the replies guys...but it seems your headlight replacement articles deals with 2nd gen and not the 1st gen venture.

Or did I miss something in my rapid scan of the article?

OPS...MY BAD....

I missed the fact that you own a 1st gen..

Sorry guy.... I never looked to see what "generation" you owned..

I just automatically assumed you owned the best one...:whistling: :stirthepot: :sign13:

I do not know about a head light replacement glass for the 1st gen, and the links I sent you may not be of any help either now...

OPS...MY BAD....

I missed the fact that you own a 1st gen..

Sorry guy.... I never looked to see what "generation" you owned..

I just automatically assumed you owned the best one...:whistling: :stirthepot: :sign13:

I do not know about a head light replacement glass for the 1st gen, and the links I sent you may not be of any help either now...

He has the best series of the Venture. Although a slower model.

You didn't notice that this thread is in "First Gen Tech Talk", maybe that is why you ride a 2nd gen (nearly blind & need to keep the speed down).........

:stirthepot::stirthepot::rotf::rotf::rotf:

Barry, once you get your headlight fixed you might want to get in touch with WildHair39 (LA Pryor) to find out how he protects his headlight. He has a piece of Plexiglas that fits over his headlight. I've thought about doing something like this on mine. I just haven't taken the time to figure out the best way to form it and how to attach it to the headlight. :confused24:

(I've also kind of forgotten about it until I saw this post!)

Good idea Todd. I have a couple of old windshields around from some goldwings. I have made lower fork wind delflectors from them for some other bikes. Probably could fashion some sort of headlight cover. Guess I will have to take some pics as assembly goes on to show others.

WildHair39 (LA Pryor) to find out how he protects his headlight. He has a piece of Plexiglas that fits over his headlight.

I've thought about doing something like this on mine. I just haven't taken the time to figure out the best way to form it and how to attach it to the headlight. :confused24:

You can use (3) to (4) small (round or square), pieces of velcro....to hold it on Todd..

...I just haven't taken the time to figure out the best way to form it and how to attach it to the headlight. :confused24:

(I've also kind of forgotten about it until I saw this post!)

Better to use Makrolon than Plexiglass. It seems to be the same, but it's not. Makrolon is clearer and is more protective against Stones and all Sort of Things come flying.

Shaping it is quite easy. Just warm up the Glass with a Heat Gun, lay the Makrolon over the Glass and heat Plastic and Glass. When the Plastic sits down on the Glass, stop the Heat and wait until it has cooled down. But no excessive Heat Attack or Spot heating, keep it slow and easy and your fine. When cooled down, cut the Excess off and glue in on the Glass with 4 small Spots of transparent Silikon.