IGNORED

1st gen Darkside

Guest bodasefus

This has been talked about quit a bit on this site. As far as i can recall there are no darkside(car) tires that will fit any 1st gen. If im wrong (and that happened once) someone will chime in.. Good luck.:080402gudl_prv:

What you need is a very narrow car tire. In other words, a small car. Small cars (at least modern ones) don't have 16" wheels.

Car tires aren`t designed for use on motorcycles,the sidewalls won`t handle the lean angles,I would think it would be like riding a bike with a flat tire,just my opinion,but I have read alot of horror stories about this.

:no-no-no:

When someone makes a post on a thread that has no knowledge of the subject I think they should just shut up and mind there own business.

I have researched the car tire for the first gen and the only tire I found is not available on this side of the world.

Michelin makes one but its only available in Ausie land and they wont ship one over not to mention the tire is twice the cost of a bike tire anyway.

I have over 80K on car tires with the wings and have been really happy with the all weather performance of them If I could get a CT for the blonde I would but its not gonna happen at this point in time.

Jeff

Edited by muffinman

When someone makes a post on a thread that has no knowledge of the subject I think they should just shut up and mind there own business.

I have researched the car tire for the first gen and the only tire I found is not available on this side of the world.

Michelin makes one but its only available in Ausie land and they wont ship one over not to mention the tire is twice the cost of a bike tire anyway.

I have over 80K on car tires with the wings and have been really happy with the all weather performance of them If I could get a CT for the blonde I would but its not gonna happen at this point in time.

Jeff

I think I'll go CT on the 2nd Gen because I'm so hard on back tires. And would on the 1st Gen if there were one.

I have a car tire on my Vulcan 2000, a General Altimax HP that performs really well in the wet and lasts long. It had been awhile since running a MC tire on a larger bike when I bought the VR but I was impressed with the handling on the VR. A lot of VN2K owners have criticized it's handling capabilities anyway so I don't really know what I'm trying to say here.

When I first put the CT on the VN2K I was aware of differences, it seemed to corner with no sign of sliding but it had to be wrestled through slow turns, etc. It's an apples and oranges comparison but I like the way the VR handles and it has an MC tire.

I see a Altimax HP on Tirerack.com with:

Size
Service Description
Load Range
UTQG Max
Load
Max.
Inflation
Press.
Tread
Depth
Tire
Weight
Rim
Width
Range
Meas.
Rim
Width
Sect.
Width
Tread
Width
Overall
Diam.
Revs
Per
Mile
195/55R16
87H SL
440 A A 1201 lbs.
51 psi
10/32"
18 lbs. 5.5-7"
6"
7.9"

24.4"

Is that too big?

I looked into putting a car tire on the rear of my 1st gen, but could never find a 16 car tire with that narrow a width. I did not check with any of the vintage tire makers however and you may have some luck there. Try Cooper Tires, and Coker Tires. There is also Universal, Lucas and Diamond Back.

I was getting 19000 to 22000 out of my back tires so I really didnt worry too much about it. Now I am triked so it is moot.

If the section width is 7.9 inches wide, that seems a little wide to me. Go measure the rear tire on your bike and if it is much less than this, the CT will probably rub on the driveshaft tube.

RandyA

Yeah the 55% sidewall number makes for a pretty wide tire. Forgot about the shaft. Maybe something that the Valkyrie darksiders run?

Well Muffinman,you just assume that someone making a comment has no idea what they`re talking about,if car tires were ok then I would assume that motorcycle dealers would install them with no problem,also if you google this you can find all kinds of comments,both good and bad,just because people do it doesn`t make it right or safe,here in the Northwest we have a lot of curves in our roads and I like to have a good contact patch,sorry if I offended you.

:bighug:

Has a 7" section width.

Ice & Snow Tire, has lots of sipes for wet too.

Size
Service Description
Load Range
UTQG Max
Load
Max.
Inflation
Press.
Tread
Depth
Tire
Weight
Rim
Width
Range
Meas.
Rim
Width
Sect.
Width
Tread
Width
Overall
Diam.
Revs
Per
Mile
Country
of Origin*
175/60R16
82Q SL
None 1047 lbs.
44 psi
11/32"
17 lbs. 5-6"
5"
7"
5.7"
24.3"

JP

Guest bodasefus

Thanks for all the input...

It would be interesting to know what tire is being sold in Oz...

I have put 140/90-16 into ebay search and come up with a lot of MC tires... I probably will change by rear tire in May before by 2 week camping trip in the smokies... better safe than sorry...

I will keep looking and will post if I fine something...

Thanks

Russ

:bluesbrother:

I just wonder why this issue is referred to as the "darkside". Could if be that we have riders dying because of a CT on a bike that specific incident it is too taboo to talk about? Perhaps that is why this thing is referred to as "darkside". Personally anyone can do whatever they are inclined to do; that is the way things are. And just because someone may have been running CTs; forever perhaps, just doesn't mean it is a safe practice. Some are just more lucky than others. My 2 cents.

I just wonder why this issue is referred to as the "darkside". Could if be that we have riders dying because of a CT on a bike that specific incident it is too taboo to talk about? Perhaps that is why this thing is referred to as "darkside". Personally anyone can do whatever they are inclined to do; that is the way things are. And just because someone may have been running CTs; forever perhaps, just doesn't mean it is a safe practice. Some are just more lucky than others. My 2 cents.

We're all lucky, Darksiders and the rest. We're all riding motorcycles and that is accepted to be unsafe. Those of us who are not dead are very lucky indeed.