Anybody replaced just the rubber diaphragm on a first gen carb. I have a set of parts carbs and one of the plastic slides/tube has been crushed. From the looks of it the rubber is still fresh. I'm curious if the rubber can be taken off and used on another slide without distroying it???

Jack,

If it's one of the 1200 slides you can separate it fairing easy. But they changed the 1300 slides to where this is more difficult. Also fyi, the 1300s had a larger lift hole in the end of the slide since you are using parts from more than one bike. There is a plastic washer or ring on the bottom the the rubber that when you can get it to slip loose from the groove, it will slip down to where the rubber will come loose. But like Dan suggested, I'd use some adhesive putting the rubber back on before installing the ring back on. I'm really sold on the adhesive qualities of GOOP that you can get at Home Depot and Lowes.

Rick

Thanks for suggestions. Since the one slide was cracked I went ahead and tore it apart just to see what I'm dealing with. Got the rubber separated from the flanges without messing it up, so it's good to replace a bad one. And even as bad as this carb set looked..(double ugly), as suspected the diaphragms are all like new. So just for the cost of the diaphragms I'm doing pretty good.... When I tried to push the slide back in the second carb body it stopped about half way. When I removed the diaphragm cover the assembly fell apart. So now I know what causes that problem. It's rubber also was in perfect condition. I'm learning all kinds of interesting stuff. Just cleaning and zip bagging all the parts for the time being, but when the smoke clears I should have a couple of rebuilt sets available. i'll keep you posted on how things turn out.

• 8 months later...

I had the same problem on my 84 Venture with 25,000 miles on it. I had my buddy that I ride with to test drive my 84 and he said that it felt like it was running on 3 cylinders. So I started taking out the diaphragms on the right side to start. The #3 was perfect almost looked brand new, so I put it back together and went to the next one, as soon as I got the cover off

the diaphragm fell out in pieces with the plastic still inside the carb. The #4 looks almost new too. My friend gave me some repaired ones to try,so

I put one into #4 and test drove later, Man this thing had great power from idle through the Red-line. Thanks Richard....Next has anyone put a diaphragm back together with Epoxy and had any luck, Richard said he thought the diaphragms maybe came separate from the plastic at one time. I appreciate any help Timthetoolman62

• 6 months later...