IGNORED

first ride.... attempt

ok, so i bought a 96 royal star about a month and a half ago, while i was deployed. i got back this weekend, and went to take it for a test ride.... and didn't have too good of luck. the bike has 29K miles on it, and has been sitting the month and a half i've had it, and i don't know how long before that. it will start up just fine, and idle fine, with the exception of some occasional popping. i went to take it for a ride, and as soon as i put it in gear i can hear the RPM's drop signifigantly and when i give it some gas, it will bog down and die. this happened a few times, then it eventually got going, though it didn't sound or feel healthy by any means. it just wouldn't want to go anywhere. once i got to a stop sign it would start happening again. when the bike was delivered, my wife took a video of it being started up and revved, and it was fine. i'm hoping the gas just went bad??? i know they put a fuel stabilizer in it when the dropped it off, but i don't know which one. i put some seafoam in it yesterday in an attempt to shock treat it, and whille try again tomorrow. i'll also drain the gas and replace it with fresh gas/seafoam. i've checked the plugs and wires, and i did find that one of the wires wasn't connected, and the plugs seem clean. they're NGK iridiums. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i know i need to look at the carbs, but i didn't have time yesterday... well i did but it was also 15 degrees, and wasn't prepared for that kind of bitter cold after being in the gulf for 6 months. once again, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

some seafoam?

I would give it a good heavy dose...or even Yammer Dan's favorite 50/50 treatment.

I tried to find the link but couldn't.

basically you just make up a mixture of 50/50 ofgas and seafoam

disconnect your fuel line from the tank (make sure the shut off is OFF!)

allow the pump to suck the mixture into the carbs and let it sit for 24 hours.

Maybe someone else can explain it better or find the link...but that's about it.

You are on track to have this resolved. It sounds like a fuel issue with the jets clogged up. A bit of Seafoam in fresh gas may take care of it. If not, check the fuel filter and fuel pump. Pulling and cleaning the carbs should be the last thing to try (since it is the most difficult/involved).

Welcome back to the US. Thank you for your service.

RR

Sounds like you are on the right track. Thanks for your service. Let us know if you don't get it going and if you do. Don't be a stranger. If the Sea-Foam helps it may take it a while. Throw a can of BerryMan's Chem Tech in it with a tank. It is a little stronger than Sea-Foam. I don't like to use it a lot but for crud in system it is a great shock treatment.

thanks guys, yeah, i'm hoping it sitting today will help break up the gunk. when i say "some" seafoam, i meant a can and a half... tomorrow ehn i get home i'll empty the tank and fill it with fresh gas. someone here told me that if the gas sits for more than 2 weeks or so the ethenol will seperate? not sure how accurate, but he's generally too smart for his own good... regardless, like i said i don't know how long it sat before it was delivered. thanks for the input, i'll keep you posted on what happens tomorrow. i only got about 9 miles in yesterday, whish is the most in about a year and a half sine i had my road star... i have to scratch this itch!!!

Sounds like a good plan. I would still do some in that 1st tank of fresh gas. Would be a good place for strong dose of BerryMan's and run it thru with the first ride. Berry Man's can be found at Wally World close to the Sea-Foam. Red, Blue and white can I think. It is a little harsher than Sea-Foam for those really dirty jobs. I don't like to use it a lot but when needed it is great.

ok, so i bought a 96 royal star about a month and a half ago, while i was deployed. i got back this weekend, and went to take it for a test ride.... and didn't have too good of luck. the bike has 29K miles on it, and has been sitting the month and a half i've had it, and i don't know how long before that. it will start up just fine, and idle fine, with the exception of some occasional popping. i went to take it for a ride, and as soon as i put it in gear i can hear the RPM's drop signifigantly and when i give it some gas, it will bog down and die. this happened a few times, then it eventually got going, though it didn't sound or feel healthy by any means. it just wouldn't want to go anywhere. once i got to a stop sign it would start happening again. when the bike was delivered, my wife took a video of it being started up and revved, and it was fine. i'm hoping the gas just went bad??? i know they put a fuel stabilizer in it when the dropped it off, but i don't know which one. i put some seafoam in it yesterday in an attempt to shock treat it, and whille try again tomorrow. i'll also drain the gas and replace it with fresh gas/seafoam. i've checked the plugs and wires, and i did find that one of the wires wasn't connected, and the plugs seem clean. they're NGK iridiums. any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. i know i need to look at the carbs, but i didn't have time yesterday... well i did but it was also 15 degrees, and wasn't prepared for that kind of bitter cold after being in the gulf for 6 months. once again, any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks!

First off, thanks for serving our nation so the rest of could ride while you were gone! Big sacrifice we know so thanks again.

Now, as far as the way your bike is running, two things; 1) its damn cold it may not be getting up to temperature and 2) check your choke and make sure it is functioning properly. It may not close down far enough to make it run rich enough in that cold weather to run clean until it's up to temp.

My wife's Vulcan takes fives minutes to warm up in the summer before it doesn't bog under throttle.

Just my :2cents: my '98 RS is a really cold natured bitc,,, uh beast. When temps are in the 40s I better let her idle for at least 5 minutes, or she will choke and die from a standing start. A 15 degrees I bet she would look around at me and say "You want me to do WHAT???" :cool10:

Good to go! ok, so i drained out the gas, poured in some seafoam, started it up... and got the same results. tried another start... same results... tried one more time... BINGO! accelerated right away, and is running nicely now. carbs definitely need some tuning, which is fine, but at least it's ride-able. for the time being the popping is kind of cool, but i'm kind of already sick of it. regardless. i was able to get it to a dealership to get the state safety inspection, and make her legal. now i just have to figure out what to do with the 5 gallon bucket of ****ty gasoline in my driveway that i forgot about until i started writing this post.

A bunch of wood and a bonfire.......................:banana::banana:

Good to go! ok, so i drained out the gas, poured in some seafoam, started it up... and got the same results. tried another start... same results... tried one more time... BINGO! accelerated right away, and is running nicely now. carbs definitely need some tuning, which is fine, but at least it's ride-able. for the time being the popping is kind of cool, but i'm kind of already sick of it. regardless. i was able to get it to a dealership to get the state safety inspection, and make her legal. now i just have to figure out what to do with the 5 gallon bucket of ****ty gasoline in my driveway that i forgot about until i started writing this post.

Hello, I have a friend whose dad passed away about 2-1/2 or so years ago and left him a 1997 royal star tour deluxe. My friend has a Harley heritage he rides and right after he lost his dad, we went riding together. As I didn't have a bike back then, I rode his dad's RSTD. It wouldn't idle at all at the stops w/o holding a little throttle in it. Now the bike has sit for 2 or more years after this and it won't do anything but start and immediately die even w/ full choke! He wants me to go thru the carbs for him but thought I'd pass this on to ya'll first for any suggestions. It fires and starts every time I hit the starter but then dies and I can't even hold any amount of throttle in it. If I do, it won't even try to fire or start. Just cranks over until I let off of the throttle, then it goes back to starting and dying. I don't know where the fuel filter is and I even thought his gas cock may be restricted but will start checking on everything next week for him. I have a 1991 Venture royale trike that has sit for 2 or so years w/o running before I bought it and it started right up and runs fine. Just can't see why my friend's bike would be any different? THANKS IN ADVANCE for any ideas, links, and filter location help I can get!

Guest tx2sturgis

My wife's Vulcan takes fives minutes to warm up in the summer before it doesn't bog under throttle.

That sounds like its running way too lean.

A slight adjustment of the idle mixture screws might fatten up the mixture just enough.

:happy34:

That sounds like its running way too lean.

A slight adjustment of the idle mixture screws might fatten up the mixture just enough.

:happy34:

If you know anything about Kawi's they are way lean. Had the mains drilled on this one and it is barely acceptable.

Guest tx2sturgis
If you know anything about Kawi's they are way lean. Had the mains drilled on this one and it is barely acceptable.

First thing I need to say is that I am NOT a carb expert...but most of those CV carbs have a plugged idle mixture screw on the bottom of the carb. I have no idea if you can see or access it while its on the bike...you might have to remove the carb or move something else to access it.

The main jet is not dominant in the fuel flow until about 3/4 throttle....the slow jets are in play during low speed, idle to about 1/2 throttle.

Idle jet, pilot jet, slow jet...whatever they call it on the Kawi...thats probably what needs to be tweaked. And the first thing to try is the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb or carbs.

Couldnt hurt, and might help...and can always be returned to stock setting if you count the turns you make.

I would back the screws out 1/2 turn...ride it for awhile...then if its better, back them out another half turn the next time. Ride it for a while and see if there is any improvement. If better, then try one more half turn. If its now too rich, then return them to the previous setting.

If you have to open them up more than about 2 turns, then you probably need to go up one size on the idle jet itself.

Might be worth the trouble if the little lady is happy with the results!

:cool10:

Edited by tx2sturgis

First thing I need to say is that I am NOT a carb expert...but most of those CV carbs have a plugged idle mixture screw on the bottom of the carb. I have no idea if you can see or access it while its on the bike...you might have to remove the carb or move something else to access it.

The main jet is not dominant in the fuel flow until about 3/4 throttle....the slow jets are in play during low speed, idle to about 1/2 throttle.

Idle jet, slow jet...whatever they call it on the Kawi...thats probably what needs to be tweaked. And the first thing to try is the mixture screw on the bottom of the carb or carbs.

Couldnt hurt, and might help...and can always be returned to stock setting if you count the turns you make.

I would back the screws out 1/2 turn...ride it for awhile...then if its better, back them out another half turn the next time. Ride it for a while and see if there is any improvement. If better, then try one more half turn. If its now too rich, then return them to the previous setting.

If you have to open them up more than about 2 turns, then you probably need to go up one size on the idle jet itself.

Might be worth the trouble if the little lady is happy with the results!

:cool10:

Bike runs fine when fully warm, no stumble at all. Just takes a long time before it will run properly off choke.

Guest tx2sturgis

Bike runs fine when fully warm, no stumble at all. Just takes a long time before it will run properly off choke.

Thats a sign that the idle mixture and/or slow speed circuit is too lean.

Thats why I provided the long answer. The NEXT step is to shim the needle or move the clip on the needle.

Of course, you are not under any obligation to try anything at all.

Have fun.... :happy34: