IGNORED

Tearing into the bike,,,part Deux,..

DarrinGT

Quick Question, How do you replace the Plug Wires? They look like they are integrated into the coils,.. Some of my caps are not in good shape anymore and figured I would replace all of the wires while I am at it.

Lookin at these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Venture-Royale-XVZ1300-Spark-Plug-Wires-Black-XVZ1300-XVZ-/261374559115?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdb23438b&vxp=mtr

Thanks!

Darrin

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So it appears that there is no good way of replacing the plug wires, according to the searches that I have been doing, but you can replace the caps.

IS this correct? Has anyone actually changed the plug wires, without changing the coils?

Tonight I got almost all of the valve adnustment done, just waiting for one more shim to come it, then I will pull the one camshaft and replace the shim bucket, and be done with that.

My New 32MM Intake Boots with adapters should be here this week, as well as the new jets for the carbs. I hope to have them installed on Saturday once I change the jets, and set the floats.

Oh and just for fun, today I bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200957188255?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

Figured what the heck, it was cheap enough. Been wanting to try one of these for a while. Ill set it on a mid range setting and 7K rpms. Dont need to get too radical.

Then the next thing to do is to make the brackets to lower the bags, I got measurements for that tonight and removed the saddlebag brackets to start modifying them.

Thats it for now,..

Later,

SOUNDING GOOD THERE DARRIN!!

To do the plug caps you just unscrew em from the wires.. Not real sure on the wires themselves, as far as removing them from the coils, but I wouldnt be surprised to find out that the coils have the same screw in method that the caps do,, I may have an old set of coils downstairs to be able to check for you,,, I will let you know if I do.. I have in the past trimmed a very short section of the wire back when installing new caps - just to get into better wire, if you do so double check for length before you trim em..

That ignition module sounds interesting,, cant wait to hear how that performs for you!!

Good luck on the brackets too!!!

Puc

SOUNDING GOOD THERE DARRIN!!

To do the plug caps you just unscrew em from the wires.. Not real sure on the wires themselves, as far as removing them from the coils, but I wouldnt be surprised to find out that the coils have the same screw in method that the caps do,, I may have an old set of coils downstairs to be able to check for you,,, I will let you know if I do.. I have in the past trimmed a very short section of the wire back when installing new caps - just to get into better wire, if you do so double check for length before you trim em..

That ignition module sounds interesting,, cant wait to hear how that performs for you!!

Good luck on the brackets too!!!

Puc

Thanks Puc!

I know that on the first gen coils, the wires are removable, but the 2nd gen seems to be part of the coil and is sealed. If you could check that for me I would appreciate it! I did buy those wires and hope to make them work. Well see when I get em,...Might just remove the ends and put them on my wires.

On the Dyan 3000, Yea it will be interesting, I have been watching for them in hopes to find one cheap, this one was $150.00 plus shipping buy it now, It wasn't selling so I offered them $100.00 shipped, They came back with $125 shipped, Close enough,..

Getting material for the brackets today...Making progress is a good thing.

Thanks again.

Tonight I got almost all of the valve adnustment done, just waiting for one more shim to come it, then I will pull the one camshaft and replace the shim bucket, and be done with that.

I hope you aren't still waiting on the ones I sent you?

I hope you aren't still waiting on the ones I sent you?

Sorry I missed your post, with all of the snow that we have had I have been too busy with the Car Lot digging out,,..and Tomorrow we get to start again,..

Nope I did get yours, and Thank you. I got the one that I was waiting for from ebay. The valve adjustment is technically done on Friday, but I have to replace the bucket that I screwed up. Hope that I can do that in the next couple of days. I am waiting to tag team that job with my mechanic since we have to remove the cam to do it. Once that is done Ill double check all of the tolerances one more time and then call it good.

But today I went to the shop to do some work on the plow truck, then had some more time to work on the Bike:

I got the brackets to lower the bags done on Friday so today I got them mocked up.

Here is a pic of the 3 lowering brackets with the saddle bag frame:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/20140126_155220_zps67aa8ffe.jpg

Pic with the saddle bag and muffler installed:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/20140126_160151_zps1a648e7c.jpg

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/20140126_152244_zps69f76ea2.jpg

I will need to do some welding on the saddle bag brackets for the front lower brace and may have to space them out another 1/4 inch or so but it looks like it is all gonna work.

SUCCESS! We were able to replace the Shim Bucket last evening, We pulled the cam, got it out of the way, replaced the shim but it was still tight. Found some burrs on the casting, sanded it smooth and now it works as freely as the rest of them. Rechecked all of the shims and everything is in tolerance. Valve Adjustment DONE!

Also got the DYNA 3000 installed, set at 7250 RPM's and Advance Curve #3.

Now I can put the top of the motor back together, valve covers back on, then start getting the 32MM Carbs installed. Just got the new jets for the carbs this week as well.

That's it for now.

Thanks go all that helped me out with shims, cups, adjustment tool and advice. I was very hesitant doing this myself but it worked out well, so thanks again!

Thanks for posting this and keeping us informed of your endeavors. It is nice to see some winter projects getting done, unlike some us couch potatoes laying around and just dreaming about getting something done.:whistling:

RandyA

Thanks Randy, Its been fun and hope it all works out, but so far so good. The problem is that it keeps me from other projects that dont get done,...oh well,...

Since the Valve Adjusemtnt is done, I am moving on to some other things. Got the new NGK Spark Plug Wires installed.

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/20140130_191012_zpsac8099c9.jpg

Got the Dyna 3000 installed:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/20140129_190812_zpsb2df088f.jpg

Valve covers are back on tonight as well, Now it is time to work on the carbs and get them installed.

Also My Saddle Bag Mounts are getting modified so to clear the suspension, Hope to have those back in a week, getting them sand blasted and painted, then Ill get some pics of them. Once they are installed then I will make the Muffler Mounts.

Thanks for lookin,....

No pics today, but I got the 32mm carbs ready to get installed, Changed out the Main Jets to 122.5s and the Pilots to 17.5. Also got the floats adjusted, got the 32MM Carb Boots and adapters installed on the bike, and a few minor things done today.

Bad News is that I realized that I didn't pick up any Carb Boot Clamps so I cant put on the carbs untill I get those in. Coulda swore I had some of those, but I was wrong.

Now I will prolly take on the Stator Swap while I am waiting for the Carb Boot Clamps to come in,...I was really hoping to hear it run again soon, Still dont know what the Mufflers are going to sound like with the baffles wrapped,

Thats it for now,....:cool10:

nice on the wires and your gonna love the DYNA 3000 you will notice the improvement over factory i got to ride tazmocycles bike with it on and compaired to my rstd (before i wrecked it) it was a big improvement over stock quicker response i loved it and was going to get one for mine glad i didnt since i dont have it anymore

nice on the wires and your gonna love the DYNA 3000 you will notice the improvement over factory i got to ride tazmocycles bike with it on and compaired to my rstd (before i wrecked it) it was a big improvement over stock quicker response i loved it and was going to get one for mine glad i didnt since i dont have it anymore

Bummer that you got rid of it, I was looking forward to seeing what you were gonna do with it. I would have been interested in buying it as well, would have made a sweet Bobber.

Hope you are doing well and thanks for checking in.

I'm enjoying your winter project.... and waiting patiently for pics of finished product :thumbsup2:

Thanks Annie, glad you are enjoying it, SO AM I!,... I will be posting pics as I go but wont be able to get a lot done this week, and my wife and I are going out of town for a getaway this weekend, so hope to have more progress next week.

Since the Valve Adjusemtnt is done, I am moving on to some other things. Got the new NGK Spark Plug Wires installed.

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/20140130_191012_zpsac8099c9.jpg

Thanks for lookin,....

How did you change the plug wires? I wanted to change mine but they are sealed in the coils. It looks like you have some kind of connectors in-line. What kind of connectors are they? By the way I have followed both parts of your project...Great Job!!! I have a 97 that looked like yours BEFORE you started. My pockets aren't as deep as yours, but I wish they were so I could do some of the things you have. :thumbsup:

How did you change the plug wires? I wanted to change mine but they are sealed in the coils. It looks like you have some kind of connectors in-line. What kind of connectors are they? By the way I have followed both parts of your project...Great Job!!! I have a 97 that looked like yours BEFORE you started. My pockets aren't as deep as yours, but I wish they were so I could do some of the things you have. :thumbsup:

Thanks! Dont really have the deep pockets but I do buy and sell a lot of stuff that helps pay for this project. It also helps that I have a wife in full support of having the bike the way we want it so we can enjoy the ride.

For the wires I used NGK Watertight Splices and they are built just for bikes that you cant remove the plug wires.

Here is a link to them:

https://www.denniskirk.com/ngk/wire-connector.p200355.prd/200355.sku

Little cheaper here:

http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=20074

Pretty easy to do, just like unscrewing the caps.

The wires that I bought are actually for a first gen, the only difference is that the front plugs have a 90 degree angle instead of a 45 degree, so they will have to sit sideways in the head because they wont clear the valve cover. Ill have pics of them installed soon.

Thanks again,

Darrin

Bummer that you got rid of it, I was looking forward to seeing what you were gonna do with it. I would have been interested in buying it as well, would have made a sweet Bobber.

Hope you are doing well and thanks for checking in.

there is a story behind that the tow yard that has it was a friend of the family and he died last year around june so now the business is under probate and no one knows when that will finish up and may end up costing me more than what its worth to get it back the storage fees i was looking at was around 500.00 to get it back but now i maybe looking at 3 to 5 k + if the business ends up where ever it ends up so for now its all in limbo so i just wrote it off as a loss if i do get it back i will be suprised so not really sure where thats going to go whats bad is both saddle bags are full of tools to and i mean full :depressed: of my good craftsman tools. yes im doing well im 6 ft above ground so i get another day of riding :cool10: on the 1st gen

For the wires I used NGK Watertight Splices and they are built just for bikes that you cant remove the plug wires.

Here is a link to them:

https://www.denniskirk.com/ngk/wire-connector.p200355.prd/200355.sku

Little cheaper here:

http://www.ngk.com/product.aspx?zpid=20074

Pretty easy to do, just like unscrewing the caps.

The wires that I bought are actually for a first gen, the only difference is that the front plugs have a 90 degree angle instead of a 45 degree, so they will have to sit sideways in the head because they wont clear the valve cover. Ill have pics of them installed soon.

Thanks again,

Darrin

Fantastic! I'll have to order a set of connectors for both bikes. Thanks for the quick response. :thumbsup2:

Got some more done on the bike tonight, I am not going to wait a month to get the Carb Boot Clamps so I grabbed some from our shop and made them work,

So The Carbs are mounted on the bike, and I started to get stuff hooked up.

Couple of pics:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/2014-02-04203033_zps46c91012.jpg

Top View.., You dont realize how big these carbs are compared to the 28mm carbs, They fill up the frame big time.

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/2014-02-04203043_zpsc6efd582.jpg

THese rubber lines are the hoses for the vents for the carbs,..I just dont know where they are supposed to drain down to, or where to route them?? My 28mm carbs didn't have these, Can someone let me know where to run them please? I didnt spend much time on it tonight but there was nothing obvious to me so far. THANKS!

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/2014-02-04203015_zps14ddb9bf.jpg

Still a lot to do but I hope to have it running soon, Looking forward to hearing the mufflers now that the baffels have been wrapped:

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/2014-02-04203054_zps4dea7186.jpg

there is a story behind that the tow yard that has it was a friend of the family and he died last year around june so now the business is under probate and no one knows when that will finish up and may end up costing me more than what its worth to get it back the storage fees i was looking at was around 500.00 to get it back but now i maybe looking at 3 to 5 k + if the business ends up where ever it ends up so for now its all in limbo so i just wrote it off as a loss if i do get it back i will be suprised so not really sure where thats going to go whats bad is both saddle bags are full of tools to and i mean full :depressed: of my good craftsman tools. yes im doing well im 6 ft above ground so i get another day of riding :cool10: on the 1st gen

Thats pretty Crazy, If no one claims the bike it will most likely go up for City Autcion, It would be nice if you were able to get it back, just a real bummer of a situation for you! At some point I wold think you would be able to go get your tools but is it prolly too late for that,... Bummer,,...

THese rubber lines are the hoses for the vents for the carbs,..I just dont know where they are supposed to drain down to, or where to route them?? My 28mm carbs didn't have these, Can someone let me know where to run them please? I didnt spend much time on it tonight but there was nothing obvious to me so far. THANKS!

http://i1306.photobucket.com/albums/s564/Darrin-GT/1997%20Yamaha%20Royal%20Star%20Makeover/2014-02-04203015_zps14ddb9bf.jpg

Any input on this,..?

The carbs have a couple of hoses on them. If they are the float bowl drains then they come out the sides and slide through brackets near the top of the carb.

Those hose look more like the overflow drain hoses. They typically would run out the top, back of the carbs, between the rear cylinders and down coming out of the frame just in from of the rear wheel.

Dave

The carbs have a couple of hoses on them. If they are the float bowl drains then they come out the sides and slide through brackets near the top of the carb.

Those hose look more like the overflow drain hoses. They typically would run out the top, back of the carbs, between the rear cylinders and down coming out of the frame just in from of the rear wheel.

Dave

Thanks Dave,

Here is waht I found out from another member at Delphi;,....

"Run those hose down in the the "V" there should be two little nipple brackets, insert one hose on each. Those hoses are not drains, they are for balancing the carbs to the barometric pressure which helps it run better at changing elevations and such."

That works for me, got them run down so I am all set with that..

Edited by DarrinGT