IGNORED

My final mods done

After two years of owning this RSTD, I finally got to do the Stratoliner front wheel change and VMAX shaft drive swap. All I can say is, this is one SWEET ride now! She just screams for a big'ol bike.

My ONLY complaint about this bike now is the weight. Other than that it is swee................oh I already said that.

Heck the riding season is almost over now though. Bummer.:(

How diffrent does it handle with the new wheel?

When I bought the bike 2 years ago the PO had just put on new Dunlop 402's. I had a bad rear wobble in sweeping corners, after 3500 miles I wore out the rear and installed a Dunlop E3. That fixed most of that problem. Was a good 1.5 years again.

Finally replaced the front with a E3 as the Dunlop was pretty scalloped but still road well though. It all went to hell with a front E3. WTH! Lost all confidence in the bike all around. Just wasn't steady anymore.

My best friend bought me a Stratoliner front wheel (prob got tired of me complaining) and all was good again, even better than before!!!! Stable in corners and steady in straights, as I can comfortably ride with no hands for miles. Couldn't do that before.

The VMAX S.D. is icing on the cake! Gets you up in the power band much quicker. Seems to tax the engine less with all that weight it has to move around. Just love it!

• 2 weeks later...

making your bike lighter will be fun.

the old axiom is little bits of weight from lots of places, rather that a lot of weight from one place

replace steel with aluminium

replace aluminium with titanium

just make sure they will take the load.

no more than 1 1/2 threads through the nut

did it to an old car once.....best performance upgrade I ever did and you can take you time doing it

cheers,

:301:

I'm not sure what to think about the lack of steadiness with the E3. The E3's are normally good tires. Was it balanced properly? Is the front wheel aligned properly?

That said, I like the 130 width front tire on my RSTD, it seems to improve the handling (standard wheel). I have Avon's on mine.

I'm not sure what to think about the lack of steadiness with the E3. The E3's are normally good tires. Was it balanced properly? Is the front wheel aligned properly?

That said, I like the 130 width front tire on my RSTD, it seems to improve the handling (standard wheel). I have Avon's on mine.

Tire was balanced. Going from a 150/80-16 (stock) to a 130/70-18 will always make a big difference. That's what's on a Goldwing and they handle great.

I still have a slight rear wobble with the stock size E3. (40-42 psi) Just too much tire.

A Dunlop 402 on rear was almost dangerous in the corners. Nearly crashed the first month of getting the bike on a hard ride. Glad to have worn it out in 3500 miles.

Next year I'm going to try a Bridgestone Exedra Max. Anybody else try one???

I'm with Randy on this one. I run E3's on both of my 2ndGens and they are rock steady.

Ok, I did not know about this mod, what are the details on this ?? what year stratoliner, wheel, ? where do you get them, what do they cost, and how much trouble to do the switch ??

Probably won't do the switch, But--- you can never have to much good information !! :detective:

Stratoliner/Roadliner wheel is a direct swap. Search ebay.

As far as tires go, the difference between my wife's car with low profile tires and my truck with TALL profile tires is dramatic! My truck just yaw's terrible if I make a sudden lane change, her car is rock solid. Similar on bike tires. Taller profile will just give, but will ride smoother though. There are trade-offs.

Heck, there are people here that think Dunlop 404's are an OK tire on these bike.

I don't get that at all!!!!

Ok, I did not know about this mod, what are the details on this ?? what year stratoliner, wheel, ? where do you get them, what do they cost, and how much trouble to do the switch ??

Probably won't do the switch, But--- you can never have to much good information !! :detective:

Roadliner or Stratoliner wheels will work. Direct swap no mods, uses the stock RSTD axle and spacers-The S model wheels are polished, that's what I used. More info and pics here http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=46995

Ace50,

What tire do you have on the Stratoliner wheel? Are you running the radial that comes on them or a bias tire?

RSTDdog

Ace50,

What tire do you have on the Stratoliner wheel? Are you running the radial that comes on them or a bias tire?

RSTDdog

The wheel came with a stock Dunlop D251 radial and has a lot of life left on it.

My E3 on rear is a Bias.

:worthless:

Would be nice to be able to take a look at it....:322:

There are pics in the thread I linked in the post above yours. Also pics in album in my profile. Granted not pics of Ace50's bike but pics nonetheless.

The wheel came with a stock Dunlop D251 radial and has a lot of life left on it.

My E3 on rear is a Bias.

You will find that you will like the radial on the front. I switched to bias to have matching tires. More discussion inthe thread I linked.

There are pics in the thread I linked in the post above yours. Also pics in album in my profile. Granted not pics of Ace50's bike but pics nonetheless.

You will find that you will like the radial on the front. I switched to bias to have matching tires. More discussion inthe thread I linked.

Ok thanks...:thumbsup: that front wheel looks great....:322: