IGNORED

Washer on rear tire axle

So, I replaced my tires the other day, went with the original Bridgestone Spitfires.

However, I was noticing, that it seems that the local shop left off a washer, so I think. I just remember the axel sticking out so I could see the complete hole, see pic.

I've looked at the parts breakdown and not sure what side of the brake caliber bracket the washer goes on. I've attached a picture of what I have, hoping someone might let me know if they see a problem.

It seems to ride great, has a very slight vibration at 45mph, probably didn't balance perfect. hoping it goes away after broken in.

thanks

80293.jpg

Edited by Freebird

If it's not there. The brake caliper is not square to the rear disk and causing the pad tobe in constant contact causing premature uneven ware and overheating will occur to the rear brake pad. Take the bike back, have them fix IT RIGHT and give them hell for sloppy work, dang I hate incompetent dealers. The shop manual specifically states what will go wrong without proper placement of the washer. HAVE THEM READ THE DAMN BOOK! Man this kind of stuff chaps my ass. (you didn't know that - did you)

Picture from under the bike toward top of bike.

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk100/aharbi/Motorcycle/IMG_1454r.jpg

As Syscrusher points out, that axel does not even extend beyond frame in that pic. Must be a pic off a different bike, maybe your 04?, not similar to 1st gen. Also, aharbi, the brake mechanism seems to line up correctly, it is still flush against wheel as it should be, however I'm not sure if the structural integrity of the axel head against the brake arm. No Yama shop will touch this bike due to 'old age', and the local shop only does helmets and some tires. I can bark all I want at them, but I'll end up buying a spacer and doing it myself if everyone feels it is important enough to do so.

Others?

Paul,

It looks to me like you may have other issues as well. Make sure that you have the bearing spacer in the rim (pics below) your pic doesn't show it really well, and compared to the pics of my '83 it looks like the caliper arm is about the same distance out. So it may be there, but check that out. Your definitely missing the washer, which is a buffer between the aluminum caliper bar and the steel axle shaft so it doesn't dig into the aluminum and deform it. It also allows level surface pressure to press all of it together squarely on the rear wheel bearing.

Personally this is why I never let anyone work on my bikes, way too many hacks out there that think they are mechanics. If you decide to do this yourself, it's not a huge deal. You'll need to take off the right muffler to pull the axle out, which you dont need to pull it out all the way. Slide the new washer between the swing arm and the caliper bracket and slide the axle shaft back in. Tighten the 12mm pinch bolt up, torque the castle nut to 110 ft lbs and cotter pin it again. Loosen the 12mm pinch bolt up so the swing arm will come back to it's neutral position and tighten that back down.

Thanks Brad, I have the bearing spacer, everything except the washer/spacer. I'll fix it, just pisses me off. I do as much maintenance as I can on my bike and cars, I just needed the tires installed, and didn't think they could screw that up...

I totally understand Paul, I hate when folks claim to be mechanics and really dont pay attention or just do crap work. I suppose it's personal because in real life I AM a mechanic, and folks like that just give people a bad taste for people who really are professionals.

If you tackle it yourself and run into issues or have questions, my # is in my profile :thumbsup2:

So did I see a special washer with a "step" or spacer built in there?

I'll bet it's a $12 part.....

The one in the pic I put up is the spacer that goes into the rear wheel. The smaller step goes in towards the bearing and the flat surface is what the caliper brace sits against.

Hi Guys,

I know I said I had that bearing spacer between the brake arm and wheel, and I still think I do, and I was going to order the washer (#27) I'm definitely missing, but could you double check the attached picture and see if you agree that the green arrow points to the bearing spacer (#4).

Edited by SpencerPJ

Hi Guys,

I know I said I had that bearing spacer between the brake arm and wheel, and I still think I do, and I was going to order the washer (#27) I'm definitely missing, but could you double check the attached picture and see if you agree that the green arrow points to the bearing spacer (#4).

Paul,

With the pic you have up it does look like you DO have the spacer on the rim, so you dont have to order #4, just the washer....:2cents: