IGNORED

Metzler Tire Question

oldbutnewrider

Roughly 8000 miles on my set. No cupping or uneven wear of any kind. It looks like ai should get at least 12000 out of the rear. More from the front. For some reason my rear tires always wear out first. :whistling:

I have used Metzler for years with good luck.

Neighbor runs them on his HD Ultra Classic. Its an 07, so it is the narrower rear than they run now. He rides 2 up almost all the time, and I think he said he changes in the 8 to 10,000 mile range. I do know he changes with some tire life left though (wouldnt doubt there is still a couple thousand miles left in the tires). He says piece of mind is a good thing rather than trying to stretch tire life, especially with the wife on board. He had a tire go bad on him once on a trip, so he doesnt chance it anymore.

I put them on mine years ago and then started reading the horror stories. Went out and looked at the tire and sure enough it had a crack in it. After a fight to get it replaced that one also cracked very early. By then I was to fed up to try them again. Now I have used them on my smaller motorcycle with good luck but I will never use them on a heavy bike again.

http://totalmotorcycle.com/maintenance/photos/tire-inflation.gif'nuff said.

No, actually I have the Metz 880 on the front of my Vulcan 2000 right now. The Vulcan weighs around 900lbs. wet and with gear and it matters more for the rear tire but has around 130 some lb-ft of torque. The Metz is unremarkable, neither excellent nor mediocre. Didn't seem to wear that long for me but I didn't keep mileage. Almost no tread but worn evenly and still serviceable. I never had one wear badly or crack, just wore too quickly and lacked sex appeal. I have an Excedra waiting to be put on because it was cheaper and the groove intrigued me.

Why not D404 or Elite 3?

I have had two of them chunk off, once pulling the trailer two up about 220 miles from home, and rode it that way. the next, I had the tire for about 3 weeks. just normal road conditions , fely slap, slap, slap, and the back end got loose. I gave up on them, went back to Bridgestones

For those of you who trust the Metzlers my advice to you is to keep a close eye on them, especially as they get nearer the 8k mark. Lost rubber from 2 different sets and I always maintained a 48 lb tire pressure. My Avons have not let me down yet.....

UPS just delivered a new front Metzeler for my MM today.

Have 17,000 miles now on the old front Metzeler. That's about average front or rear for me on my previous sets of Metz. Try to run 41psi front and 42 rear. Do mainly solo light load interstate riding below 80mph indicated.

Old front tire's tread still looks good. No cupping/chunking/cracking that I can see. Handling is just starting to feel kinda crappy, so I'll break out my tools and install the new one tomorrow.

My 88 Royale has E3s. I seem to like them pretty well. But so far, only put about 5000 miles on them, so the jury's still out.