IGNORED

Deals Gap at night?

murph35640

There's not a lot of traffic,,,, for a reason.

After you do that,,,, next you might want to try coasting down Mt Mitchell at night with your key off (no lights, no power). That might be a challenge too. Shoot for a full moon. Tell 'em Darwin sent you.

(I am kidding.. But when stationed in Denver in '69 we did that with a 59 Plymouth down Lookout Mountain above Golden CO. A blast, blew a tire at the bottom. Watch this!!)

Edit: now that my eyes are over 60 (and stock) I think riding I-20 at night is just fine. Less twists and trees and banking.

Edited by Mike G in SC

Anyone here ever ridden the dragon at night? Was wondering if there is a lot of traffic after dark.

There was a guy named yellowwolf that used to follow you and make videos on a souped up goldwing. Puported to be able to outrun sportbikes. Heard he did the ironbutt(1000/24) on the dragon. Guess some of it would been in the dark.

Other than being able to see headlights coming at ya, cant imagine much positive at the thought of riding the Dragon at night but I will tell ya,,, riding Death Valley National Park at night with a full moon is something that HAS to be experienced!!

Puc

Its a dumb Idea,

Stitch told me not to stay at the Resort at the bottom, stay up top. So I planned my ride to end up at the top at dusk. Got a little side tracked and got to the top at the place that serves BBQ Can't remember the name. Guy was real nice, said room 6 is yours go on in and settle down. I was like WAIT, How much? Ridiculous Price, I was like Got a broom closet, it's just me? He's like no, and thats the price. Period, And they he ask. "Whatta ya going to do> Ride to the bottom?" I was like well, for that price yea.

So off I went. I was the ONLY one on the road and it's Dark as all get out! I didnt see one single animal, I suppose they all heard me coming. In that darkness your headlamps are a lot of light so no problem seeing, there is a little trouble reading the banks of the turns and some switchbacks are a little testy that are fine in the daylight. It's kind of like a roller coaster, the lifts and dips and twists of the road a lot more exaggerated. All that goes through your mind is, even if I slightly crash, No one will find me soon and maybe never. Thats the Bad idea part. And no phone as you know.

About 3/4 way down I caught someone else on a Harley. This was about 10 PM I let him lead the rest of the way and about 2 miles from the end a Crotch Rocket passed us both!

Never found out why they were on it., No one came North.

I tried to check into the place at the bottom,they had rooms but they quit at 7PM It was either early or late in the season. So I had to keep going down 129 alone. I tried to get into a Lodge or cabins and almost crashed on that road hit gravel at night, front tire slid half a foot, enough for me to put my foot down. It was closed.

So I made it down to Robinsville, NC and the owner was sleeping in her chair just inside the entryway, (In her house, behind the bullet proof glass.) she woke up easy and checked me in! I don't think I was ever so glad to get off a Motorcycle to include travels on snow and Ice.

Now maybe as a Group I would really say its cool, but alone ain't all that great. But If I go to one of these Meets and anyone wants to try it, I'm leading the way!

I did not think it was too bad at night but you will see lot's of shiny eyes that could run out in front of you. If you are not use to riding those kind of roads at night I would not recommend it.

A bunch of folks did it this year while we were up at Vogel.

Other than being able to see headlights coming at ya, cant imagine much positive at the thought of riding the Dragon at night but I will tell ya,,, riding Death Valley National Park at night with a full moon is something that HAS to be experienced!!

Puc

That is wonderfull!!!!

Someone had mentioned to me that you have to drive through the Badlands (SD) at dusk so when I rented a cabin in Rapid City for a week I kept trying to get to the Badlands before dusk but never quite made it. I had also been told not to drive through the Badlands at night because there ain't no light nowhere but I did this four times before I left the area. The day I left the area I decided just to settle for riding through in the daytime - no big deal really.

I left Moab on hwy 128 that follows the Colorado River. My headlight was attracting these little flies, thousands of them, that lit up white and made it look like I was riding through a blizzard making it difficult to see. Saw a coyote or something run toward me at one point but didn't catch up. I was afraid to stop for anything or any reason while I was still in the canyon. I figured if I did the insects would eat me alive and I may also need to fend off four-leggeds. When I got to an inn my bike was covered with those little flies.

After hitting a deer I'm not a big fan of nighttime rides but I used to love it. I would strongly recommend HID lighting, but also have an LED backup. Consider doing the same ride without lighting or staying where you are till daylight. :)

Edited by syscrusher
there

Well my friends were telling me for years about riding down in the states but I always stayed in canada. At the last minute a friend called me up and said a group of six were going to ride the blueridge parkway and ask me to come along. We would ride and do the dragon and go to maggie vally see the wheels of time and the come back by the highway should take about a week. Took 219 down through NY,PA,MA,WV,V and NC The country was so beautiful we ended up staying with the group for the full two weeks did the dragon and the parkway was a great trip met a lot of nice people could not beleave you had such nice roads my next trip is going to be longer and I will see more of the country. We had three goldwings three harleys and I guess they wanted to and some class along so they invited me Yamaha venture.