IGNORED

Fuel pump problems

XV1100SE

On the weekend my '09 RSV cut out on me. This is the 2nd time since we got back from vacation.

Typical symptoms... under higher rpm's engine sputtered for lack of fuel. Turn key on and no "clicking" from the fuel pump. The bike would start with choke on but would die if I gave it throttle or turned the choke off. Didn't matter if the petcock was on main or reserve.

After 10 minutes stopped, turned key on and it clicked for 8 to 10 seconds then started and ran normally.

I called the dealer this morning and just dropped the bike off at the shop. When I called earlier they said it could just need to have the electrical contacts cleaned. They'll clean the contacts and/or test the pump but being an intermittent issue cleaning the contacts may not resolve the issue.

Will post again to this thread to let everyone know how this works out.

My dealer just replaced the second one on my 2006 RSTD under warranty.

(I got an extended warranty from Yamaha at a charity auction.)

Same dealer also replaced the one on my 2009 RSV last year,,,, under warranty.

They could not fully repeat the problem, but they are a great dealer and take my word.

You will be facing the problem again if they just clean contacts.

In fact my dealer said "we don't open them up."

If they are going to that much trouble, it's no skin off their back, they should replace it under warranty. Yours will expire next year (probably).

Got a call from the dealer....they are ordering a replacement pump and will have it on Wednesday.

He said that the points are worn unevenly and although he could clean them up he preferred to replace the pump. Interesting.... he said that it isn't easy to get warranty claims thru.

Got a call from the dealer....they are ordering a replacement pump and will have it on Wednesday.

He said that the points are worn unevenly and although he could clean them up he preferred to replace the pump. Interesting.... he said that it isn't easy to get warranty claims thru.

GOOD FOR YOU!!!

As an opinion I might add,, it seems to me that if the manufacture of the pump had intended for those contacts to be cleanable they would have also made them replaceable... I also think that they could save themselves some hassle from unhappy riders, they could have gone back to old school technology and played with fitting that circuitry with a condenser to match their contact points... Of course,,, they wouldnt sell as many pumps once off warranty either...

Hey,,, maybe one of us should come up with a set of replace points AND a condenser for these,,,, could be money to be made....

I wonder how many of our folks know they can clean the points in their fuel pump and have them last long enough to get home on??? Is that in the tech section?? Think I will go take a peek when I get a second..

Hey,,, maybe one of us should come up with a set of replace points AND a condenser for these,,,, could be money to be made....

I wonder how many of our folks know they can clean the points in their fuel pump and have them last long enough to get home on??? Is that in the tech section?? Think I will go take a peek when I get a second..

There has been a post that replacement points MAY be available. Someone was going to replace theirs and test them.

For others with pump problems, take a look at your points and see if you are getting uneven wear.

That is correct. I just recieved the set I ordered. I have'nt put them on yet but they are in my trunk if needed. I cleaned the contacts and it's worked fine since. Nothing to changing out the points. The place I purchased them from was qiuck to get them to me. had them in stock. I payed $38.00 I think. Here's the thread link...http://www.venturerider.org/forum/showthread.php?t=81574. Check post #24 for a link. It's the K&L Supply universal fuel pump point switch kit.

Edited by Caveman
more info

[...]

Typical symptoms... under higher rpm's engine sputtered for lack of fuel. Turn key on and no "clicking" from the fuel pump. The bike would start with choke on but would die if I gave it throttle or turned the choke off. Didn't matter if the petcock was on main or reserve.

[...]

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?

If it is partially clogged, your bike may run fine under low load conditions but struggle if/when it gets opened up.

Keep in mind that the fuel pump is supposed to cycle long enough to fill the float bowls up in the carbs -- which means that sometimes, when one turns the key ON, it may not need to cycle at all.

Regardless, having a fresh pump in your bike via warranty is not a bad thing, one less part for you to worry about. I would definitely suggest changing out your fuel filter though -- it does not take much to clog those suckers up [one little spout of contamination in your fuel could do it, depending on what the contaminant is]. Additionally, a few dollars for a filter is a lot cheaper than getting stuck somewhere for fuel starvation or ruining a pump because of a clogged filter...

When was the last time you changed your fuel filter?...

Changed the filter over the winter....but thanks for the suggestion.

I took the bike to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed that the points were unevenly worn and were placing the order with Yamaha Canada to get a new fuel pump. Got a call from the dealer this morning at 10:30 that the bike was done.

Took them less than 24 hours and that is with having to order a new pump. I like my dealer !

Picked up the bike at noon and runs great !

Changed the filter over the winter....but thanks for the suggestion.

I took the bike to the dealer yesterday and they confirmed that the points were unevenly worn and were placing the order with Yamaha Canada to get a new fuel pump. Got a call from the dealer this morning at 10:30 that the bike was done.

Took them less than 24 hours and that is with having to order a new pump. I like my dealer !

Picked up the bike at noon and runs great !

Now thats the way its suppose to work.. It always amazes me the difference in dealerships and their customer service philosophys.. Sounds to me like your dealer actually has some sense of doing whats right - GOOD ON YOU!!!:cool10:

Glad you got it fixed under warranty.

I just got bit buy the fuel pump on Monday. I considered myself lucky. I was pulling out of the garage and when I went to ride away giving it gas, (just as you described) the bike stalled. It kept stalling when I gave it gas and then it would start. I had to push the bike back into the garage which was better then getting stuck on the highway.

I read some posts and took the side cover off and banged the fuel pump and heard a click. The bike then started.

Anyone know how long before it wont start if it acts up again?

Just reading these threads I don't trust it and mine has only 14k mi. On it.

I ordered the aircraft pump mentioned in another thread. When I'm on paid vacation. I want it to be paid vacation not paid parts hunting and mechanicing. ( yea I just made that a word}

I made my Roadstar pump less for same reason.

I just can't see replacing a $200 pump with the same , if one fails its bad design and I'm going another way. Aircraft sounds more reliable to me.

I still do need the wires off an old stock pump since I don't want to hack the good pump I have, taking donations.

....I still do need the wires off an old stock pump since I don't want to hack the good pump I have, taking donations.

Since mine was under warranty I didn't get the pump back. Hope someone can give you one to use.

My point was that when the pump starts failing, don't count on it getting you where you want to go. Replace it before it leaves you stranded. Good thing is Dogman's bike showed him there was a problem before he got out of his driveway. Mine restarted after letting it "cool" down and I got it to the shop for replacement.

As for a replacement pump, if mine were out of warranty I would consider alternatives. Several people have recommended the Mr Gasket 42S (electronic pump that doesn't let fuel go thru it when key is off). I would consider the aircraft pump but before deciding on which one to go with I'd want to see a long term report on them. Do they out last the OEM pump?

I know there was a discussion here about replacing the points. Then I remember either googling or following a link to a discussion thread in the UK that was archived so the pics didn't show up any more. That discussion was about replacing the points in the fuel pump and adding a circuit that prevent the points from burning and claims to not have had any more failures. From what I remember he was copying a circuit used in a similar type fuel pump. Someone earlier also mentioned adding a condenser to the circuit which makes sense.

XV1100SE How Many miles when your fuel pump let go?

Also talk to the dealer about your old one. On warranty the dealer has to hold the part for 90 days typically, and if Yamaha doesn't ask for it back, which in many cases they don't, the dealer will just pitch it. Ask them if you can have back if Yamaha doesn't ask for it back.