IGNORED

Mounting lights

Greetings guys. I just picked up a 2008 RSV and love it. I want to mount some platinum burners on it, maybe on the crash bars. Any ideas on how I could go about that? I understand the realy thing and all, I just need to know if they make any mounts for the crash bars

Look for something called "P" clamps.. they make them in various sizes and thicknesses, perfect for this type of installation. They look like straps of metal bent in shape to look like the letter P when looked on sideways. The round part of the P wraps around the crash bars while the tail end of the P is where the lights mount on to clamp to press the halves together etc

Another option if your handy making things is you could make your own bracket. You could run the wires along the brake lines say and make a bracket that attached to the fender brace or at the caliper. If you dont have the light bar there are a coupl holes under the faring on triple tree where they mount. You could fabricate a bracket and mount them off there. I like alumium, light weight, easy to bend depending on what type you use flat vs angle or tubing etc. Also if you work on it a little with some chrome polish it shines up really nice.

This how I mounted mine. Just removed the lower bolt on the deflector and used that hole so no drilling required. Used a small piece of tubing and flanged it on both ends so I can aim them in any and every direction. Have mine aimed more towards the ditch so it gives me much wider spread. Have had them on there for about 6 yrs now with no problem.

[ATTACH]80084[/ATTACH][ATTACH]80085[/ATTACH]

Ride Happy Ride Safe

• 2 months later...

CHEAP VERSION - You can find clamps at Lowe's, under "specialty clamps", where all the screws and bolts are. They have drawers full of "specialty" stuff there - you'll see round clamps there. They are aluminum made (I think?), with a black rubber inside so it grips really well. They have different sizes, you need 1" for the crash bars.

I just bought two the other day, I think they are less than $2.- a piece. Granted, not shiny but small, cheap and useful....

Greetings guys. I just picked up a 2008 RSV and love it. I want to mount some platinum burners on it, maybe on the crash bars. Any ideas on how I could go about that? I understand the realy thing and all, I just need to know if they make any mounts for the crash bars

Your bike comes with a mounting bracket already. There are 2 reflectors, one on each side of your front forks. Remove the reflectors and use the holes to mount the Platinum Burners. Run the hot wires up and under the tank, mount your relay with some double sided 3M tape near the battery and ground them to the mounting bolts. I have attached pics. Mine work great. Be sure to use an inline fuse also.

Your bike comes with a mounting bracket already. There are 2 reflectors, one on each side of your front forks. Remove the reflectors and use the holes to mount the Platinum Burners. Run the hot wires up and under the tank, mount your relay with some double sided 3M tape near the battery and ground them to the mounting bolts. I have attached pics. Mine work great. Be sure to use an inline fuse also.

Not to be a party pooper......but you may have made your bike illegal for road use by removing those reflectors. They are mandated by regulation, you can add reflectors & lights but you shouldn't remove the ones that are installed by the manufacture. Or at least reposition the reflectors somewhere near by on the sides.

Not to be a party pooper......but you may have made your bike illegal for road use by removing those reflectors. They are mandated by regulation, you can add reflectors & lights but you shouldn't remove the ones that are installed by the manufacture. Or at least reposition the reflectors somewhere near by on the sides.

Legalities...but in the US there are only certain areas that require DOT inspections. I'm in the Chicago area and neither Illinois nor Indiana have inspections, you should see some of the custom jobs running around the area with virtually no lighting, indicators, etc.

As for using the stock reflector brackets, AWESOME...add that to my winter mods. But I'll do some small LEDs as marker lights. Adding the 35w or 55w on top of the stock lighting and heated gear might be a bit to much draw.

Legalities...but in the US there are only certain areas that require DOT inspections. I'm in the Chicago area and neither Illinois nor Indiana have inspections, you should see some of the custom jobs running around the area with virtually no lighting, indicators, etc.

As for using the stock reflector brackets, AWESOME...add that to my winter mods. But I'll do some small LEDs as marker lights. Adding the 35w or 55w on top of the stock lighting and heated gear might be a bit to much draw.

I also added a handlebar mounted switch to turn them on and off as needed but I wouldn't worry too much about the 35 watt bulbs. I did worry about the 55 watt bulbs, but unless you have a lot of extra stuff pulling wattage you should not have any issues. I do like the idea of LED markers. Dang you, now I'll have to do more mods.

Cipher I took my front refletors off and used LED marker lights I did the same in the rear. While I was at it I fugured I had to wire it anyways a couple guys helped me out and gave me wiring help to make the running and turn signals. I'm thinking about getting some of the strip LED lights and running them aliong the bottom of the saddlebags.

Side-light-on-close-web.jpg

Cipher I took my front refletors off and used LED marker lights I did the same in the rear. While I was at it I fugured I had to wire it anyways a couple guys helped me out and gave me wiring help to make the running and turn signals. I'm thinking about getting some of the strip LED lights and running them aliong the bottom of the saddlebags.

Freaking awesome. I'm doing the rear.