IGNORED

Lemon Pledge to the Rescue

Mean Dog

Well, I had read about using Lemon Pledge on bikes at some other sites. I tried it today on the 06 RSV and behold, it worked great! I have been using Honda Spray Polish and hear that they are discontinuing it. (It worked great for me too.) I used the Pledge all over the bike including the windshield and it shines like it did when I saw it on the show room floor. Hey $3.00 a can beats $5.50 in my book any day! And it sure makes the bike smell good! I don't know if it will clean the bugs off like Honda Polish but, we will see.

I also use Go-Jo hand cleaner (Creamy Type) on my other bikes windshield and it covers up or seems to remove all the little scratch marks and swirls in it that you see when riding into the sun. Just rub it on the windshield with my fingers and wipe it with a terry-cloth towel.

Dog

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I had read about using Lemon Pledge on bikes at some other sites. I tried it today on the 06 RSV and behold, it worked great! I have been using Honda Spray Polish and hear that they are discontinuing it. (It worked great for me too.) I used the Pledge all over the bike including the windshield and it shines like it did when I saw it on the show room floor. Hey $3.00 a can beats $5.50 in my book any day! And it sure makes the bike smell good! I don't know if it will clean the bugs off like Honda Polish but, we will see.

I also use Go-Jo hand cleaner (Creamy Type) on my other bikes windshield and it covers up or seems to remove all the little scratch marks and swirls in it that you see when riding into the sun. Just rub it on the windshield with my fingers and wipe it with a terry-cloth towel.

Dog

Dog, I use to use it but.....danged wasps, bees and hornets love that lemon/orange citrus smell too. Got the heck stung outta me twice and that was it for me.! didint help on the bugs and up here in the great north we have big juicy bugs!

Salty

Dog, I use to use it but.....danged wasps, bees and hornets love that lemon/orange citrus smell too. Got the heck stung outta me twice and that was it for me.! didint help on the bugs and up here in the great north we have big juicy bugs!

Salty

I use the orange and like it but i would think the uncented would do the same thing. For me it works well taking off bugs and light dirt water spots and puts a nice shine on the whole bike sure makes the chrome shine and the windshield comes out spotless. heavy dirt i go to the car wash and powerwash it then do the pleage thing to make it shine:thumbsup2:

Just be careful with that LEMON PLEDGE in the Spring/Summer especially if you are allergic to BEES!:scared:

Yep - LEMON PLEDGE attracts bees and insects. REGULAR PLEDGE works the same, just without the bees!!!:whistling: (Yes. . . I am talking from personal experience with the Lemon Pledge . . . OUCHHHHH!!!!!)

don't know about pledge, but ,years ago,when i was driving a truck for a living,i used "pam" cooking oil" on all my chrome !

bugs can't stick to it, and it washes off really easy.i don't know about putting it on windshields, though. i use "rainex,for that!

just jt

Ok, I will switch to the original pledge after this can is empty...LOL

I do believe you about the bee sting thing....

But, I have to admit it sure made the bike look nice. I also read somewhere about using mop-n-glow on the black plastic of the dashboards and stuff, especially on the first generations. They say not to use it on your tires though. Like I said Go-Jo hand cleaner works really well to loosen the bug guts off your windshield and all other parts.

Dray was good enough to show me a previous post on this subject:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/sh...ghlight=pledge

Perhaps we need to start another Forum just for detailing our bikes where we could put all our ideas and found information, what works, what doesn't? Sounds like a winner to me. I just wanted to pass the information along as I am all for saving money. Now I have to find a substitute for S-100.......LOL

Dog

Now I have to find a substitute for S-100.......LOL

Dog

I just picked up Hondabrite. It is made by the makers of S100. It worked quite well! Expensive stuff though! :eek: $12.95 a quart!! I'll never complain about gas prices again... :rolleyes:

Ok, I will switch to the original pledge after this can is empty...LOL

I do believe you about the bee sting thing....

But, I have to admit it sure made the bike look nice. I also read somewhere about using mop-n-glow on the black plastic of the dashboards and stuff, especially on the first generations. They say not to use it on your tires though. Like I said Go-Jo hand cleaner works really well to loosen the bug guts off your windshield and all other parts.

Dray was good enough to show me a previous post on this subject:

http://www.venturerider.org/forum/sh...ghlight=pledge

Perhaps we need to start another Forum just for detailing our bikes where we could put all our ideas and found information, what works, what doesn't? Sounds like a winner to me. I just wanted to pass the information along as I am all for saving money. Now I have to find a substitute for S-100.......LOL

Dog

Ok I think its time to figure out just what is the best way to clean a bike so what im going to do is offer my time and bike. If every one will send me there address ill show up once at everybodys place to let you clean my bike for me. I can watch and see just how it turns out and keep track of the time involved in this process. when I have all the info I need ill post it here. of corse as we get down to the end we may have some retesting so some folks may get to clean it more than others but we dont want any hard feeling over this. :whistling:

don't know about pledge, but ,years ago,when i was driving a truck for a living,i used "pam" cooking oil" on all my chrome !

bugs can't stick to it, and it washes off really easy.i don't know about putting it on windshields, though. i use "rainex,for that!

just jt

I've heard about PAM being used on the front of motorhomes to make the bugs easier to remove. Got to thinkin'....dangerous.... Why wouldn't spraying pam on the fork tubes be good to keep them from drying on the tubes and screwing up the fork seals??? I don't have any fork protection on the uppers and when doing a long ride I can see dried bug juice on the tubes, and it's like cement. I'm gonna give Pam a try on the next ride. Should make the stuff easier to wipe off??

I've heard about PAM being used on the front of motorhomes to make the bugs easier to remove. Got to thinkin'....dangerous.... Why wouldn't spraying pam on the fork tubes be good to keep them from drying on the tubes and screwing up the fork seals??? I don't have any fork protection on the uppers and when doing a long ride I can see dried bug juice on the tubes, and it's like cement. I'm gonna give Pam a try on the next ride. Should make the stuff easier to wipe off??

Well let us know how it works for you. It sounds as though the detail shop is under way!.....LOL....I just might turn my garage into a kitchen. :) :) :)

Mark

Ok I think its time to figure out just what is the best way to clean a bike so what im going to do is offer my time and bike. If every one will send me there address ill show up once at everybody's place to let you clean my bike for me. I can watch and see just how it turns out and keep track of the time involved in this process. when I have all the info I need ill post it here. of coarse as we get down to the end we may have some retesting so some folks may get to clean it more than others but we don't want any hard feeling over this. :whistling:

Hey Dray,

Since I have two bikes, I'll bring them both to your house and you and I can invite everyone there. We will disassemble them and clean the parts individually....what ya think? Then we can reassemble them and have them squeeky clean! http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/aiw/tomato.gif

Dog http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/i/santa2.gif

Hey Dray,

Since I have two bikes, I'll bring them both to your house and you and I can invite everyone there. We will disassemble them and clean the parts individually....what ya think? Then we can reassemble them and have them squeeky clean! http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/aiw/tomato.gif

Dog http://smilies.sofrayt.com/%5E/i/santa2.gif

well now Dog I want to thank you for your offer. but i cant allow this i would feel bad see'in you setting around with no bike to ride or clean and there is no need for both of us wasting a day of watching someone else having all the fun. I have offered to take on this burden all by my self so others might not suffer :whistling:

Alright, so let me see if I have this right. Pledge (plain to avoid bee stings) can be used to clean the whole bike and windshield? I also understand that it will help the scratches on the windshield, will it also prevent fogging?

If all this is true, seems like a low cost miracle product. :cool10:

Thanks,

Mark

Alright, so let me see if I have this right. Pledge (plain to avoid bee stings) can be used to clean the whole bike and windshield? I also understand that it will help the scratches on the windshield, will it also prevent fogging?

If all this is true, seems like a low cost miracle product. :cool10:

Thanks,

Mark

Yep, unscented pledge (to avoid the stings) to clean the whole bike, chrome, paint, and windshield. No wax build-up and you don't have to get out the tooth brushes and cotton swabs to remove the white residue from regular wax. Go-Jo creamy hand cleaner ($.99) a tub to remove scratches and swirls from the windshield, helmet visors, etc...

Your new bike probably doesn't have any swirls or scratches yet but it is inevitable that it will in the future. My Dad and I have been using Go-Jo for that for years. It doesn't completely remove them but, fills them in so that they are not as noticable when riding straight into the sun light. I just rub it on the windshield front and back with my fingers and then wipe it off with a terry cloth towel.

http://smilies.sofrayt.com/fsc/sunglasses2.gif

Dog

I use the pledge and the HDsoftcloths they work great and there cheap i give 3.95 for 25 in a pack from the HD dealer Part #9456-98 there a disposable towel I picked up 2 packs this summer and still have 1and a half packs left you may want to give them a try too.:banana:

• 3 weeks later...
One tip for windshields, is to clean them with a up and down motion only, no side to side or circular rubbing. The INEVITABLE SCRATCH will be far less anoying in sunlight, or night riding.

Thanks for the tip! "Sometimes you can teach an old dog new tricks"

http://www.moonshinesteel.com/images/choppersmiley.gif

Dog

Dollar Tree sells a cleaner wax "PowerHouse" that is just as good as any other and a buck a can. It stays in my saddle bag along with a terry cloth dish towel the warden passed along to me. The worn cloths work the best and I don't use it for anything but the PowerHouse.