IGNORED

My thoughts on the VMAX rear upgrade

1BigDog

Here are my thoughts after riding about 300 miles with the Vmax rear upgrade:

I like the acceleration and around town riding. On the interstate however I like to cruise around 80-85. I find the engine winding pretty good at 75 now and I keep looking for that overdrive gear which is now gone so to speak. So, do I like it? maybe about 60%. Ill ride it until my rear tire needs to be replaced, which should be in another 11k and make a decision then as to whether I keep it or go back to stock. I still have the stock unit in the shed.

The V-max rear is not for everyone. I don't think many on a 1st gen would like them if they did any interstate riding. I know that on my 83, it gets a bit buzzy at 70 and up. But it is a lot of fun around town and riding the mountains.

Ruffy, you would do well with the RSTD trans and the V-Max rear. They have a 5th gear that is about 5% higher than the Ventures. The RSTD would do even better as that have about a 6% higher primary gear on top of the taller 5th gear.

You would still have the peppy low gears, but still have the lower RPM's on the highway. My spare 83 engine has a 2nd gen Venture trans and I am looking forward to having it in. I don't usually do much running in the 80 to 85 mph range for any great length of time.

RandyA

Edited by Venturous Randy

Ill ride it until my rear tire needs to be replaced, which should be in another 11k and make a decision then as to whether I keep it or go back to stock. I still have the stock unit in the shed.

11,000 more miles on a rear tire. Seriously??

That's about two rears for Tweety !!

:scared:

Gary

I have an FJR rearend in my '86 which is the same gearing as the Vmax. It is taking some getting used to as at 70mph it's running at about 4300 rpm. The '83 I have is running about 3800 at 70mph with the stock rearend. It's definitely different on a 1st gen, I think I wouldn't mind it on the G2 as I'm not usually in that 85mph range for long. I dont know if I'll change back to the stock rear on the '86, but I still have it.

Kinda what I thought when I first read of it, not for the Highway man. Maybe the trailer man.

Thanks for the report though. It won't make it on my dream list. Just took a 2000 mile trip through Dragons, Gauntlet, Triangle, and the like, I thought the gearing was perfect, just downshift.

The V-max rear is not for everyone. I don't think many on a 1st gen would like them if they did any interstate riding. I know that on my 83, it gets a bit buzzy at 70 and up. But it is a lot of fun around town and riding the mountains.

Ruffy, you would do well with the RSTD trans and the V-Max rear. They have a 5th gear that is about 5% higher than the Ventures. The RSTD would do even better as that have about a 6% higher primary gear on top of the taller 5th gear.

You would still have the peppy low gears, but still have the lower RPM's on the highway. My spare 83 engine has a 2nd gen Venture trans and I am looking forward to having it in. I don't usually do much running in the 80 to 85 mph range for any great length of time.

RandyA

I am sooooo waiting for you to install and do a ride report on this combo!!!

Give me the facts mam,, just the facts... :detective:

Puc

[...]

[...]

This is somewhat misleading so I just wanted to offer clarification. Not ALL RSTD's are geared this way. The 'early' line of Royal Star (Boulevard, Tour Classic, Tour Classic II, Tour Deluxe) made from 96? to 2001 had the ratios you describe. The "RSTD" made from 2005-2009 is identical to the venture.

Below is from the respective owner's manuals:

Royal Star Venture (99-present)

Owner’s Manual: Page 9-2

Primary Reduction: 1.776

Secondary reduction: 2.567

1: 2.529

2: 1.632

3: 1.200

4: 0.960

5: 0.786

Royal Star Tour Deluxe (2005-2009)

Owner’s Manual: Page 9-1 to 9-2

Primary reduction: 1.776 (87/49)

Secondary Reduction: 2.567 (21/27 x 33/10)

1: 2.529 (43/17)

2: 1.632 (31/19)

3: 1.200 (30/25)

4: 0.960 (24/25)

5: 0.786 (22/28)

Royal Star Boulevard/Tour Classic/Tour Classic II/Tour Deluxe ( 96(?)-2001)

Owner’s Manual: Page 8-2

Primary: 1.666

Secondary: 2.566

1: 2.437

2: 1.578

3: 1.160

4: 0.906

5: 0.750

Thanks for the clarification Rick. Evidently Yamaha realized the earlier RSTD"s were just too high geared to be able to use 5th gear very much.

This does give us 1st genners more options for those that want to consider transmission replacements, especially for the 83 to mid 85 models with the 2nd gear problem.

Cowpuc, with the way you load your bike and the off road trips you take, the V-max rear would be great for that part. The approximate 5% higher in 5th would probably not hurt on level land, but for pulling, you may have to drop back to 4th a little earlier. 4th is the same ratios with the 83 stock setup and the RSV trans, V-Max set up.

I keep putting off changing to the spare engine and would actually like to pick up a 1300 engine and set it up with the RSV trans, V-Max rear. I think the extra torque would be even better.

RandyA

I have two 2006 RSTD because I live and work in two locations 5 hours apart and need a car when I get there. For the price of one new Roadie I have 2 RSTD and don't miss the Roadie one bit in comparison to the Tour Deluxe. So, one of the TD's has the VMax rear and one is stock....and I can't make up my mind if I like one better than the other..the power band is so tolerant and yes, I am in 5th gear more on the VMax'd model but the turns are about the same in fifth on that one as they are in fourth on the stocker. The only time I notice the difference without thinking about it is when pulling away, that lower rear gives a bit quicker, smoother easier start. Having had both I do not think that I would make the change..I just ride the stocker in 4th up to about 110kmh (65-68 miles per hour) and for me that is most of the time as we have lots of highway patrol and radar and I'm normally not in a rush and prefer to enjoy listening to the engine and rolling along.

This is somewhat misleading so I just wanted to offer clarification. Not ALL RSTD's are geared this way. The 'early' line of Royal Star (Boulevard, Tour Classic, Tour Classic II, Tour Deluxe) made from 96? to 2001 had the ratios you describe. The "RSTD" made from 2005-2009 is identical to the venture.

Below is from the respective owner's manuals:

Royal Star Venture (99-present)

Owner’s Manual: Page 9-2

Primary Reduction: 1.776

Secondary reduction: 2.567

1: 2.529

2: 1.632

3: 1.200

4: 0.960

5: 0.786

Royal Star Tour Deluxe (2005-2009)

Owner’s Manual: Page 9-1 to 9-2

Primary reduction: 1.776 (87/49)

Secondary Reduction: 2.567 (21/27 x 33/10)

1: 2.529 (43/17)

2: 1.632 (31/19)

3: 1.200 (30/25)

4: 0.960 (24/25)

5: 0.786 (22/28)

Royal Star Boulevard/Tour Classic/Tour Classic II/Tour Deluxe ( 96(?)-2001)

Owner’s Manual: Page 8-2

Primary: 1.666

Secondary: 2.566

1: 2.437

2: 1.578

3: 1.160

4: 0.906

5: 0.750

Randy, lilbeaver,, Yammer,,, anyone who cares....

Do we KNOW these specs to be accurate?? (I think Randy may have answered this down at Vogel for me but I learned soooooooooooooooo much down there and the ol memory fails me)..

Not to be overly skeptical of yammy specs but it would be great to know if one of my buds actually saw the gear differences in person, counted gears, what ever.... Terrible pain in the,,,, aint I...

and yes YammerDan,, I did FINALLY find the REAL Yammer hahaha :stirthepot:

• 1 month later...

800 mile evaluation: I now have about 800 miles with the Vmax rear and I am now starting to really like it. Around town riding is a blast. its still a bit buzzy at highway speeds but since I have no long distance riding planned for a while it will work out just fine for me.

Also the Flanders upgrade took a little getting used to but now I am really glad I did the mod. Riding is so much more comfy now.