IGNORED

Broken first gen, accident pics

Here are a couple of pics of my pain.

At first i thought i might get away with only having to replace the right side fairing, but after closer inspection of the left there was a huge chunk of plastic missing, as well as the mounting tabs.

The worst part came after removing all of the broken fairing, noticed that ,i'm not sure what they are called but the whole upper metal cage? is bent and twisted. and in need of replacement as well.

Guest Fly-N-Lo

Kurt,

Get with Todd aka 86'er, he knows a lot about bent faring frames:rotf:ok, not so funny but...He can help you with what points to use a come-a-long on and how to plasi-weld the skin back. I feel you pain dude, I spent many late nights re-furbing my '90VR and have been weary about putting her in harms way. I refuse to imagine.

Your old gal is still a beauty, fix her up and ride on!!!!

BTW, how's things in Janesville? Been there a few times, My God Daughters are in Evansville and both are going to college in Madison. My youngest is coming down in March for spring break...can't wait to see her again and take her for a ride. She loves bikes.

Take care and heal quick!!!

Guest Shaggy Dog

I'm new to the Ventures so I don't know, but if first and second gen fairing frames are the same? I just run across this one,-Item number: 230224846179 , on ebay..

no first gen fairing and second are completely different, but the fairing stays are on ebay all the time for real cheap heres one says for 82 but not for 82 but will fit any first gen

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/82-YAMAHA-VENTURE-XVZ-12-FAIRING-STAY-BRACKET_W0QQitemZ130088019204QQihZ003QQcategoryZ35591QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

and another Ive delt with pinwall as have others her and they are greathttp://i13.ebayimg.com/01/i/05/cf/77/11_1_b.JPG

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Yamaha-Venture-FAIRING-BRACKET-STAY_W0QQitemZ4600742987QQihZ009QQcategoryZ10066QQrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQ_trksidZp1638.m118.l1247QQcmdZViewItem

You're bike is in worse shape than mine was, but Fly-N-Lo is right, I gained too much experience with the bent fairing inner frame! If you're interested, click here for the post on my crash. Click here for the link to my other post talking about the fix. I tried to straighten that frame but it was a little too much. There were too many attachment points to be able to get it right. you may have better luck than me, but I ended up replacing mine. (I still have the old frame if you want it! :rotf:) I found a member here that had one from a loaner bike that he sold me.

Guest Shaggy Dog

I'm sure most of you are way ahead of me on the ebay auctions but I have noticed that there seems to be quite a few different auctions for venture parts , this one seems to be a pretty good size ,thought it might help someone..

http://search.ebay.com/Venture-Royal-Star-Royal-StarVenture-RSV-Royalstar-Green-Light-Aprilla-Aprilia-snowmobile_W0QQfrtsZ0QQfsooZ1QQfsopZ1QQftsZ1QQsacatZ50041Q2010063QQsatitleZQ28VentureQ2cQ20Q22RoyalQ20StarQ22Q2cQ20Q22RoyalQ20StarQ20VentureQ22Q2cQ20RSVQ2cQ20RoyalstarQ29Q20Q2dQ28Q22GreenQ20LightQ22Q2cQ20AprillaQ2cQ20ApriliaQ2cQ20snowmobileQ29

Your pictures remind of my 89 VR when I bought it as a wreck. It had been laid down on the left side and slid under the back of a car. The whole front fairing system was trashed. I was going to part it out until I took it apart. Take it apart slowly, taking pictures as you go along. Use strips of blue painters tape and mark all the electrical connections as you disconnect them. I just numbered them. Use plastic bags for each component hardware and mark each bag with the component name with a Sharpie marker. Take alot of pictures as you won't remember where everything goes. One of the hardest things it all the plugs on the radio amp in the drivers side fairing and the CB radio in the right fairing, mark them well. Take off the seat, tank cover, side covers and battery. Remove the headlight. Get a box or tote and put the all of the good parts in them. Take all of the dash units ( class controller, CB, radio, speakers, amp) out. Remove the fairing panels. Don't throw anything away, put all you damaged pieces in a pile in the corner. Remove the coolant overflow bottle from the right side. Remove the black plastic panels that bolt onto the frame and fairing frame unit on both sides. If the fairing frame is bent remove the instrument cluster, I believe its just two plugs, speedo cable and 4 nuts. Check the wiring harness in the front of the bike to be sure that none of the wiring was stretched and pulled the wires apart. The wiring harness comes around the bike on the left side and across the front of the bike and is secured with two or three black pull straps. The bar that holds the relays is screwed on each side of the fairing frame and can be left hanging or removed. The cruise control box which is black with a silver Yamaha with numbers and connected to a big green plug is on the mounted on the black plastic panel mounted on the front of the bike behind the fairing frame with two screws. Be gentle with it if you have to remove it as the plastic is thin and brittle, don't ask me how I know. Just tag and disconnect all the electrical connections, remove the plastic straps holding the harness to the fairing frame and remove the bolts holding the fairing frame. I forgot, remove the radiator chrome side panels and radiator grille. You have to remove the radiator cap first to remove the radiator grille. The bike will look naked but not as bad as when the busted up plastic was on it.

While you have it this far apart, it is real easy to replace the spark plug wires and any 20 year old hoses. While mine was apart I did put the battery back in and rode it around the yard to check that it drove okay and it will do you heart good to hear it run. I wouldn't worry about the trunk, saddlebags and crash bars until you get the front done. Check the front fork brace and make sure it isn't cracked, take it off to do this and I have one if you want it. Take your time, don't get overwhelmed as it is very doable. I took me 7 months to get the parts and put it back together. It was a labor of love. I'm very OCD when it comes to my bike and have had everything off mine except the engine, gas tank and triple trees at one time or another in the last 5 years and I'm just a shade tree mechanic. Good luck and it I can be of any assistance shot me a email with your phone number and we can talk.

Dave