IGNORED

Garmin 550 returned for repair

RJD

Let me just say I am not real pleased with Garmin right now. MY 550 froze up a few weeks ago, as many of them seem to do. When I got home I called them and we went through their dog and pony show, trying to decide if it was something they could fix over the phone. this was not possible and I shipped it back as part of their return and exchange program. I payed my 150 dollars and waited.. got the email tell me they got my unit and my refurbished unit would be shipped soon.. well first of all I read way way too many messages about these units locking up and having to be returned. I would say they must realize they have a problem and do something to solve this. Now I am seeing people with the newer units having the same problem. But I am the one that has to pay the $150. Now lets get to the first call to find out where my unit is. It seems the refurbished units are on backorder and there is no hope that they will even know if one is available until August 30. At that point they will have to see if they got enough to cover all the back ordered units. I may or may not get one of these and if not I will have to wait till there are enough available. The kicker is they do not send them in for repair until they have a certain quanity of them sent back..I thought this company had more on the ball than this!!

I did the refurbish thing 2 years ago

It took 5 weeks until I received a replacement unit ( That was a bit long )

they did say turn around was 3 weeks

When I sent it back it had all the following issues...

The touch screen was not working

Battery was dead

Maps were outdated

The screen was all pitted

it was 5 years old

Other than the long wait I think I did good

My 550 died after returning from a long trip, 50 miles from home the touch screen went south. Did the freeze thing shortly before leaving for trip and battery removal solved the freezing. Going to spend $20 or so to order new touchscreen and replace myself, if this doesn't fix it then prob. just gonna buy a different GPS, this one came with bike from PO.

I don't use most the features of the 550 anyway, use google maps (or an actual map). Mainly was using the 550 for the built in mp3 player and for more accurate speed. Garmin has a pretty good reputation for customer service, sorry you're having to wait. The 550 are older tech. by todays standards.

My 550 died after returning from a long trip, 50 miles from home the touch screen went south. Did the freeze thing shortly before leaving for trip and battery removal solved the freezing. Going to spend $20 or so to order new touchscreen and replace myself, if this doesn't fix it then prob. just gonna buy a different GPS, this one came with bike from PO.

I don't use most the features of the 550 anyway, use google maps (or an actual map). Mainly was using the 550 for the built in mp3 player and for more accurate speed. Garmin has a pretty good reputation for customer service, sorry you're having to wait. The 550 are older tech. by todays standards.

I replaced the screen/touchpad a month or so ago. Works great now and is a bit brighter. My 550 is about 6 years old and has been beat around pretty well. Never had a problem with it. Use it for routing, MP3s, XM, and bluetooth for the phone.

I have gotten my money's worth. The 665 will be next if the 550 ever dies.

BTW, I almost always carry paper maps with me just in case.

RR

I replaced the screen/touchpad a month or so ago. Works great now and is a bit brighter. My 550 is about 6 years old and has been beat around pretty well. Never had a problem with it. Use it for routing, MP3s, XM, and bluetooth for the phone.

RR

Where did you get your screen? I've looked at a couple sights but haven't ordered yet.

I would prob. use my 550 more if I could read it without putting reading glasses on.:rotf:

If I had $ the 665 would be nice to get with the overlay weather maps.

I've told the story how my LG GPS was almost two years old (1 year warrentee) when I dropped it.

The service rep gave me an account number for shipping to Toronto (150 miles away). It was picked up on Monday....and returned 2 days later on Wed!!!! (shipping paid by them)

They put a new screen on it..no charge. It's still going... almost 8 years old now.

Now that's what I call customer service.

Since then I have bought 2 fridges, Washer, Dryer, Plasma TV, and Computer monitor...ALL LG.

Where did you get your screen? I've looked at a couple sights but haven't ordered yet.

I would prob. use my 550 more if I could read it without putting reading glasses on.:rotf:

If I had $ the 665 would be nice to get with the overlay weather maps.

I bought it from an EBay site. Will need to do some checking to find the seller. Will let you know when I find it.

RR

Knock on a big chunk of wood. I guess I'm blessed. I picked up 2 used LN Garmin Streetpilot c550's off eBay for $50 and $80 bucks 3 years ago and so far they have performed flawlessly. One for the bike and one for the suburban. They look just like the C550 Zumo's except they are not waterproof and the screen is a little hard to read in the direct sunlight, but still do-able. They do have bluetooth for the cell phone, an MP3 player, and of course the GPS. The only glitch I run into is Garmin keeps hammering me to upgrade the maps every time I go to their site online. Up grades are a waste. 99% of the map info is still current, and I'm not going to pony up the bucks just for that 1%.... My :2cents:

Like mine which I bought from Mother who got if off ebay about 5 years ago

- pushed send too soon. Wanted to add that I like the features that Condor mentions so much that I am thinking of searching for another one.

Like mine which I bought from Mother who got if off ebay about 5 years ago

and it even has lifetime map updates, lol

i have picked up a couple of Garmin Nuvi and i am liking them more than the c550. they are a slim design , wider screen and it fits in your shirt pocket. it also has longitude and latitude if you break down you can give exact location or if you geocache you can get them off ebay for 75 to 100 bucks

RR

Well, after reading this, I did a little surfing and found this http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=528905&highlight=digitizer . Paid $26.98 (including freight) for the new digitizer and it works like new. Miss Garmin lives to "re-calculate" another day.

More info FYI. My digitizer was shipped by this company http://www.palmdr.com/cart/garmin-zumo-450-and-550-digitizertouchscreen-p-174.html and worked great. I notice on this website, that for what appears to be a reasonable fee, they will do the repairs for you and also offer other repairs. I have no first hand experience with their work.