IGNORED

Air Horn

I have been contemplating installing an Air Horn on my 98 RS. I was curious to see if anyone has installed one and what type would work best. I was looking at the Wolo's but they seem too bulky and I'm looking at trumpets but I wouldn't know where the mounting points would be.

Thanks in advance

I have a FIAM two trumpets mounted were the old horns were. The compressor I mounted behind the seat under the trunk and ran an airline down each side of the bike along the frame to each of the horns. They connect to a T at the compressor. The horn switch was not strong enough to run the compressor directly so I had to incorporate a relay switch. The downside is they are so loud I sometimes scare myself.

Edited by saddlebum

i just bought a Wolo at O'Reily Auto Parts today. $27.00 and some change which was about $10.00 cheaper than Harbor Freight. Sale at O Reily ends Aug 27. A quick online search yielded $5.00 plus shpping more than what I paid (all were the same model)

Tonight I ordered the mounting bracket and wire harness for it from member Carbon One. You can find his ad in Member Classifieds. I could make them myself but I have seen his products and they are first class and it saves me some time.

I have been contemplating installing an Air Horn on my 98 RS. I was curious to see if anyone has installed one and what type would work best. I was looking at the Wolo's but they seem too bulky and I'm looking at trumpets but I wouldn't know where the mounting points would be.

Thanks in advance

The Stebel air horn was the second addition I put on my '98. (The 30 LED tail light was the 1st.) I also bought the bracket from Carbon One, but did the wiring and installed the relay (Yes, you GOTTA have one!) myself. It has saved my butt several times! :cool10:

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like an easy enough thing to do on the weekend. I don't have a fairing on mine and I want to have it blend in with the bike's look. Let's just say she stands out a bit. Here's a pic.

EDIT: Is this the Stebel? [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Sound-Engineering-Consultants-STEBEL-NAUTILUS/dp/B0068FXNT6/ref=sr_1_9/192-4417443-9466024?ie=UTF8&qid=1377359660&sr=8-9&keywords=stebel+air+horn]Sound Engineering Consultants STEBEL NAUTILUS CMPCT HORN CHR : Amazon.com : Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41m51Tas5rL.@@AMEPARAM@@41m51Tas5rL[/ame]

Thats the one. I put mine in the stock horn location. Used a relay kit from a local auto parts store. Easy install with a little grinding on my home made bracket. Great horn gets every ones attention when they aren't paying attention

FYI the Wolo type doesn't always get "their" attention.

On my previous bike I mounted one and although it was loud, if I had the safety room I would lay on it if someone was blindly moving over into my lane and i would watch their face. Yes I was that close. Literally right beside them - literally in their peripheral vision without having to turn their head, and they would just keep on coming over. It was usually a Lexus SUV. Guess their sound deadening works.

For those ready to pounce, I would be passing them in the freeway in the next lane about 2-4 mph overtake. Point is- they didn't hear it right beside them.

Ride like you are invisible- because you are.

VentureFar...

FYI the Wolo type doesn't always get "their" attention.

On my previous bike I mounted one and although it was loud, if I had the safety room I would lay on it if someone was blindly moving over into my lane and i would watch their face. Yes I was that close. Literally right beside them - literally in their peripheral vision without having to turn their head, and they would just keep on coming over. It was usually a Lexus SUV. Guess their sound deadening works.

For those ready to pounce, I would be passing them in the freeway in the next lane about 2-4 mph overtake. Point is- they didn't hear it right beside them.

Ride like you are invisible- because you are.

VentureFar...

:sign yeah that::goodpost:

Have had the same experience twice. Either they were actually deaf, sound deadening/stereo works well, or people really are not paying attention now.

• 2 weeks later...

I have both:

Stebel in replacement of the one on the side, and two trumpets from Rivco in the front below the passing lamp bar...

believe me they cannot say didn't hear me...

I know that is a little expensive (50$ /Stebel and 180$/Rivco) but it is the best money invested on security.

I did the chrome wooloo I have done a few on bikes and this one took the longest. But I made my own bracket and wire harness. Some tips,

It will mount on the right side stock location. I ground down a chrome bracket bought at a truck stop worked perfect. Its just a right angle mirror bracket.

The stock horn plug I just split in half and plugged the two blades direct to the relay in the right spots. Can't remember the numbers. Anyways that saves slicing stock wire harness or any funny jumpers.

Relay went under right side cover.

Use loom on wire from 30 on relay to battery and fuse it close to battery.

I ran ground from horn direct to the mount I made. The bracket bolts to the bikes ground. Use a ground washer.

The two wires that connect to the horn should be terminated with a right angle blade terminal so it better clears the exhaust. They are hard to find. Pep boys had them where I live.

I have 5k miles on mine, no problems. It looks like it would melt there but the exhaust is double walled or shielded there. Just long as the wires don't touch.

Zip tie everything so it don't hang down or relax. Coat the hooked up relay with WD 40 and hang it wires down.

It gets a lot more attention than a factory horn. No horn will overcome a lot of things going on in these cats now a days, ear buds, big stereos, soundproofing. But you'll have a better chance and at the least you can scare the bejesus out of someone walking slow across the street.

Edited by IronMike

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like an easy enough thing to do on the weekend. I don't have a fairing on mine and I want to have it blend in with the bike's look. Let's just say she stands out a bit. Here's a pic.

EDIT: Is this the Stebel? Sound Engineering Consultants STEBEL NAUTILUS CMPCT HORN CHR : Amazon.com : Automotive

Yes, that is the right one.