IGNORED

Cruise Control

I've read every post regarding cruise control problems but I need some advice. My cruise works intermittently. When it works, it works perfectly. Maintains speed, adjust the throttle for hills, disengages via the cancel switch, clutch, front and rear brakes and deceleration.

When it doesn't work, the power light is lit but the set switch doesn't operate, No light turns on and the speed doesn't set. If I turn it off and on sometimes it will operate. Sometimes I have to do it several times but eventually it works. All I've done so far is clean the contacts under the power button. I don't want to remove the fairing if I don't have to. I know I can have a faulty switch and the most likely culprit is the clutch so I'll start there although when I push out on the clutch lever it doesn't help.

I have the Yamaha Service Manual and I see the circuit diagram but I'm not good at reading electrical schematics. Can I test the various switches at the plug under the power unit? Can someone explain that process?

Also, if I have to remove the fairing I want to replace the throttle cables. I found 4 of them on boats.net but I read there is a fifth. Can someone tell me the part number or where it's located on the part diagrams for an 87 VR?

Thanks.

On my 89 when I had trouble with the clutch switch the symptom was that when I pushed the set button the "RESUME" light would immediately come on. But it's easy enough to test - just push out on the clutch with your fingers and see if it works properly.

On my 88 the switch for the clutch lever was sticky. The plunger no longer moved in and out.

Take that switch apart and clean the contacts and the actuation plunger, don't forget to clean the inside of the hole that the plunger goes through. I then lubed it with dielectric grease.

This is cheap and easy so I would start here.

I also had to replace the clutch lever and the bushing and the pivot bolt because they were very worn.

My point was that if the RESUME light isn't lighting it's probably not the clutch or brake switches.

More likely the set switch, a connector in the harness, or the control module itself.

When it's working properly, the resume light will come on when the cruise is disengaged. Sometimes I can resume and sometimes I can't. The resume light will remain lit until I turn off the unit. Sometimes, when I turn it back on, I'm able to set the cruise and sometimes nothing happens, the set light doesn't come on.

According to the manual, I can test at the connector at the cruise control unit. Is there a way to get to it without removing the fairing?

When the resume light is on, if you press the resume button does the resume light go out? does it resume speed?

Mine was doing this at one point, the set bulb was burned out....

If I press the resume switch it stays lit. Nothing happens. If I press set, the set light doesn't come on and nothing happens.

I discovered, when my cruise stops working and I stop and shift to neutral then shift up to operating speed, the cruise control always works. Also, it always works when I first start out for a ride. But, at some point while riding, it will stop working. It may be after I engage it for the first time or after engaging it several times. Has anyone experienced a similar situation and what was the fix. Thanks.

Take the headlight out and control module is on the left behind headlight. Check for corrosion in the plug. Don't have a photo of the module but I think the part number starts with 1NL..... Can't remember the rest of the number. Getting old and forgetful!

Jim

Take the headlight out and control module is on the left behind headlight. Check for corrosion in the plug. Don't have a photo of the module but I think the part number starts with 1NL..... Can't remember the rest of the number. Getting old and forgetful!

Jim

Thanks Jim. I was looking for a way to get to the control module without removing the fairing.

• 1 month later...
I took a look at my clutch switch today,and it looks like its moving away from the grip etc. Is there a screw to hold it in place? Brake side sits flush like it should. Thanks.:detective:

Attached are some pictures of a screw that I put on clutch side to hold switch in place. It has held for several years.

Probably used a 4mm x 0.70 screw.

I used a very small amount of blue loctite to secure it. Don't use a lot, as loctite shouldn't come in contact with the plastic switch housing.

Gary

this last spring when I was having my bike serviced I had the fluids changed and my mechanic realized my clutch lever had alot of play and and for a few bucks I found out afterwards that my cruise did not kick out on bumps or high speeds , or when the air got to windy. Just simple wear on lever is what they found.

2 cents///.....:Avatars_Gee_George:

• 5 years later...

What started out to be a experimental temporary trial fix wound up still in place and still working fine for the last couple weeks now... Cruse controll was acting like many have described on here, so l removed clutch lever and used thick 3M double face tape and a thin piece of metal cut to the size of the contact area on the flat surface of the lever that makes contact with the pin that actuates the switch and stuck it on there, this took up the space caused by ware in the lever. Cruse was been working like new ever since...Think l'm gonna leave it, just to see how long this experimental guick fix holds up.😉🏍

When it's working properly, the resume light will come on when the cruise is disengaged. Sometimes I can resume and sometimes I can't. The resume light will remain lit until I turn off the unit. Sometimes, when I turn it back on, I'm able to set the cruise and sometimes nothing happens, the set light doesn't come on.

According to the manual, I can test at the connector at the cruise control unit. Is there a way to get to it without removing the fairing?

Simply remove 4 screws around headlight, remove the headlight bezel, pull the 2 screws holding the headlight in and disconnect and remove the headlight. The brain box and connectors are directly behind it. When you reinstall the headlight, be sure not to pinch the wire that connects to it - it's easy to get it caught on the aim adjuster (experience) and damage it.