IGNORED

VR Assistance GPS Files.

Pilot

VR Assistance GPS files.

The attached folder holds all the GPS files you need to upload the VR Assistance files into your Zumo, download the entire folder . They were created with the Garmin Zumo in mind. If your GPS uses this file extension (*.gpx) for Custom Points of Interest then they should work for your GPS. However I did not test these files in any GPS other then the Zumo 550 so if you have a Streetpilot you will have to test it on your own, but the file should work for any Garmin GPS that uses this file extension. If you download any of these files for any GPS other then the Zumo 550 please let everyone else know if they work or not, please include the manufactor and model of your GPS.

You can download the entire US_CANADA file or you can download by State/Province to save memory. I downloaded the entire US_CANADA file into mine (file is not that big only 124 KB) but I made separate State/Province files for those that prefer to load only the states they ride in.

I have included a word file (GPS File Member) which I downloaded from this site. It's a list of members who volunteered to help other members on the road. If you look at this file you will notice that some members are in BOLD print and others are not. If you name is in BOLD print then you have been included in the files. If you name is not in bold then you were not included in the files. You will also note that if you only provided your first name when you filled out this information on the site then your name will be follwed with a number. I used the last 4 digits of your phone number, I had to do this because you can't save a file with the same name and I had a bunce of Jims etc.. There are various reasons that you were left out, your phone number may be missing or you have not listed a city or the city you did list is misspelled or I can’t find a GPS coordinate for it. I did not use anyones' personnel address for the GPS coordinate, I used the city they listed. So if your in Tampa Florida you will be able to call up all members who live in Tampa. Call the person you want to get in touch with for directions because all the members in Tampa use the same GPS coordinate etc. If members wish to give you their GPS coordinte you can save that information over the files information.

If you were left out for any reason but wish to be included in an update, which is to come later then please email me with the missing information and I will include you in the update.

To upload the Custom POI’s into your Zumo you can follow the direction in your manual or you can follow the directions I have included below. If you do not have the POI Loader program you will need to download and install it on you computer. You can find it from this site:

http://www.garmin.com/products/poiloader/

You need to put all of your Custom POI’s in 1 folder. The POI Loader will load all GPX files that you have in the folder. You can’t load the GPS with multiple directories so put all your POI’s in 1 folder.

Open the POI Loader program.

Wait for POI Loader to locate your GPS and click Next.

Find the folder that your POI file is in and select it

Hit Next, this will load all your POIs to the GPS

Hit Finish

Disconnect your GPS from the computer

Turn on your GPS

Touch "Where To"

On your GPS, go to "Extras".

Select "Custom POI's".

If you see the list of custom POI's your ready to go.

I am not an expert but I will try and help you if you email me. I have tested all the files on my Zumo and they work.

If you find any errors please email me about them and I will correct them and include them in the update. There was a lot of work involved with creating these files and I was careful not to make mistakes but I know that there are errors so if you find one please let me know.

If your GPS uses any of the following file extensions email me and I will email the file back to you in the requested format.

Garmin GPS Database Version 2 (*.gdb)

Garmin GPS Database Version 3 (*.gdb)

MPS files (*.mps)

DXF files (*.dxf)

I tried to think of every thing but I'm sure I left something out.

Enjoy.

I downloaded the file and opened it up in poi edit and then converted it to ov2 file (tomtom binary) and copied to my tomtom rider. It worked but there is no phone no.'s on the original file are on the converted files.:think:

Did you copy (convert) all of the information. The name and GPS coordinates are in a seperate field from the Phone numbers and other information.

(RoadSide Assistance, Trailer, Tools, Riding Companionship, Local Information

302 750-xxxx) This information is in the comment section of the waypoint properties.

I'm not familiar with poi edit so I don't know what else I can say. Maybe there's something in the setup of poi edit that allows you to see all the related fields of a waypoint. I used WayPoint to create the files and it will not convert the file to OV2, it's possible you can't convert the file to that extension. If you get it to work please post your results for others.

Thanks

Pilot, thanks for the putting this together. I loaded all of the points on my Zumo tonight. I had to load all of the states. When I tried just the US_Canada file it only gave me 20 names or so. So I just loaded all of the states along with it and it seems to work.

Dennis

Guest tx2sturgis

What a lot of work that had to be!!

I finally got it to work using my Mac and a Garmin Vista Cx.

Most of the phone numbers dont show up, unless the name and description is very short. It may have something to do with the fact that the software for the Mac is still in beta. I had to use what Garmin calls 'Bobcat' ( surely a reference to the Mac OS's named after the big cats, leopard, tiger, and so on)...Bobcat is a manager for your waypoints and such, and transfers POI's and waypoints to the GPS via the USB port. The simple POI loader they have on their website would not find my GPS on the USB line.

On each state file I wanted to load, I had to do it twice...everytime. I dont know why.

I know none of that is related to what you did for us, but i'm including it for reference, in case someone else is using a Mac and a Garmin handheld.

Guest KitCarson

Windows cannot open this file!! Has to know what created it.....I for sure do not know what created it......looks like I need my little girl to come home this weekend and do this for me........computers.....gee

Windows cannot open this file!! Has to know what created it.....I for sure do not know what created it......looks like I need my little girl to come home this weekend and do this for me........computers.....gee

Kit you won't be able to open the individual GPX files in windows you need a program to do that, like MapSource. Is that what you are trying to do or are you having problem opening the ZIP folder? If your having problems opening the ZIP folder then I will send you the GPX files via email. Let me know.

jim

You should be applauded for the amount of work you did. A tremendous "Thanks" for the time and effort you put into making this happen.

Efforts like this sometimes go unoticed. But those of us who benefit from your sacrifice will always give a silent 'thanks' to you whenever we need to reference the information you have made available to us.

Good job. My hat's off to you.

Thanks Bro.

• 10 months later...
Can't use this, but it looks awesome,,, thanks a lot

carl

Your welcome, I will get around to updating the files before riding season sets in. In DE that will be around the middle of March even though I'm hoping for an early spring.

Jim

• 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
It just opened for me.

How do I get on the list of people willing to help? Not that I can do anything, mind you.

Dave

looks like the person that made the file has not been active on the forum since june of last year, and his title is expired trial member. someone else may know how to edit the file and add people, i suppose.

I just completed a new VRAssistance list and it's posted in a sticky at the top of the watering hole. It does not contain physical addresses though, just a list of folks who signed up to be on the list. It contains city, state, name, username, email and in most cases, telephone numbers. Sorry, it is just meant to be printed out and carried with you as I have never tackled the poi files.